Follow the Tesla Brick Road

Posted by: Moby_Vic

Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 01:49 PM

http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem
Posted by: Alex07

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 02:07 PM

Welp. More reasons why combustion engines are generally better.

They can't expect electric vehicles to take over when they require that kind of maintenance. People simply don't care to take care.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 02:21 PM

It sounds like the Tesla design requires constant attention. The Volt is a much more practical system.

The Tesla is a pure electric. The Volt has a gas-powered generator onboard.

Tesla clearly needs to figure out a less-expensive way to replace the battery.
Posted by: Jinx

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 02:25 PM

One would think the solution would be to build a car that totally shuts off when not in use, or at least completely turn itself off when the battery reaches a critical level while being parked for extended periods of time.

A car that stays on when not being driven is stupid. Especially if said car is supposed to be environmentally friendly.
Posted by: JeffBoudah

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 02:32 PM

I just recently "Bricked" my laptop battery frown
Posted by: Robert_Allen

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 02:36 PM

5 cars out of 2500 failed due to owner neglect? That's what, two tenths of one percent? Sounds like a real epic problem to me. A simple fix would be a relay to completely disconnect the battery when it gets too low.
Posted by: Alex07

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 02:51 PM

It is an epic problem when instead of fixing it, you could buy a comparable performance car...
Posted by: MyP71Vic

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 02:53 PM

That really is not that bad. How many people kill their cars each year by putting diesel in a gas car or running without oil? Stupid people kill cars nothing new there. If I could I would still buy one of these in an instant!
-Nick

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: MyP71Vic
That really is not that bad. How many people kill their cars each year by putting diesel in a gas car or running without oil? Stupid people kill cars nothing new there. If I could I would still buy one of these in an instant!
-Nick

How many of those cars require $40K to fix?
Posted by: PoliceInterceptr

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 03:10 PM

Diesel doesn't kill gas engines. A simply flush of the fuel system should get it running again. Cost about $80. Ask my Crown Vic, she knows all about it. Just saying.

ANd yeah, I never cared for Teslas, you could buy a real nice sports car with what it cost to replace one of those batteries.
Posted by: Ezbok58a

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 03:30 PM

It took 3 volts to catch fire 3 weeks after accidents for a massive investigation to start. And the fix for those wasn't 42k.

And that's only one office that knows of 5, who knows how many there are throughout the country. Clearly this news is shocking.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Ezbok58a
Clearly this news is shocking.

Heh.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert_Allen
A simple fix would be a relay to completely disconnect the battery when it gets too low.

Is that even possible on an electric car? I don't think there is one simple terminal like on a panthermobile.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 03:53 PM

It all depends on the technology. Run a carbureted gasoline powered car out of gas, you refill it, pour a little down the carb, and go on about your merry way.

Run a modern EFI gas-powered engine out of gas, and you risk damaging the fuel pump, which can easily be a $400 repair.

Run a diesel engine out of gas, and you have to have a mechanic take the top of the engine apart and re-prime everything, and this can get expensive in a hurry.

Internal combustion engines need all kinds of regular, orutine maintenance like tune ups, oil changes, new belts and hoses, radiator flushes, etc, that an electric car never needs. An electric motor is also far more efficient than a piston engine could ever dream of being. Like any technology, there are trade-offs. The maintenance and repair tradeoffs are accepted with gas engines because we are so familiar with them. If your familiar with how battery powered cars have to be cared for, then the risk of "bricking" your car can be mitigated to the point you shouldn't have to worry about it (Only 0.2 % of Tesla owners managed to brick their cars. I'd think totalling it out in a wreck would be a bigger concern).

Plus, this is still fairly new technology. The Tesla is to electric cars what the Model T is to gas cars-an attempt to take what was otherwise a niche technology for the rich and bring it to the mainstream. Compare the level of maintenance of a Model T flathead 4 to a Y-Block 50 years later. Compare the Y Block to the modern 4.6L. Other than spark plugs and filters, tune ups have been eliminated on modern cars, the spark plug changes are stretched out to 100K miles, and modern synthetic oils and quality filters can stretch oil changes to 10,000 miles. What would a Model T engine look like after 10,000 miles if it got zero maintenance?

My point is, as this technology gets more and more common, the risk of bricking a battery will go down, as will the replacement cost.

And anytime there is a $40,000 risk to the consumer, the free market will look for a way to address that risk. With 5 failures, that's $200,000 in failed batteries. So if each of the 2500 Tesla owners purchased a $1000 bricked battery replacement policy from a private party, an insurance company could cover all failures and still walk away with $2.3 million in profits. If Tesla really does sell 250,000 Model S's, expect to see an aftermarket insurance or warranty company selling a policy to address this, even if Tesla won't cover it. I see a marketing opportunity here. An insurance company could partner with Tesla to include the premium in the cost of the car and cut the company a check every month based on sales volume, and Tesla would be able to advertise that the batteries are covered if you brick them.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 03:57 PM

My point is, as this technology gets more and more common, the risk of bricking a battery will go down, as will the replacement cost.

I'm sure those five owners who are out $40,000 take great comfort in that statement.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Moby_Vic

I'm sure those five owners who are out $40,000 take great comfort in that statement.

I'm sure those five owners who are out $40,000 will take better care of their batteries in the future, too.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 04:20 PM

I'm gonna guess they won't be buying more Teslas.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 07:46 PM

So it's a win-win then...
Posted by: KayTar

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 08:02 PM

HA and people call my $1000.00 P71 a piece of junk...
Posted by: 124neta

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 08:31 PM

Quote:
A third bricked Tesla Roadster apparently sits in its owner's garage in Newport Beach, California. That owner allegedly had a similar prior incident with a BMW-produced electric vehicle. He claimed BMW replaced that vehicle, but Tesla refuses to do the same. The owner either couldn't afford or didn't want to pay Tesla the $40,000 (or more) to fix his car.

Fool me once...

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 08:35 PM

That's okay. The government gave them a bunch of money.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BigNSlow

Fisker got the right idea for an electric. Have 2 motors, 1 electric and one gasoline. Power the car with an electric motor then turn on the gasoline engine to charge the batteries.

Exactly the same as the volt.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 09:50 PM

And yet Fisker isn't building anything.
Posted by: shepd

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 10:52 PM

So, gas cars are bad because if you fill them and leave them sitting for a long time, the bad gas will ruin them.

That makes my car the solution: propane never spoils!
Posted by: Marqed_Man

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/22/12 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: shepd
So, gas cars are bad because if you fill them and leave them sitting for a long time, the bad gas will ruin them.

That makes my car the solution: propane never spoils!

Hydrogen and propane are really the only TRUE alternative fuel.
Posted by: MGM2010

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 01:38 AM

Quote:
Complete discharge can happen even when the car is plugged in if it isn't receiving sufficient current to charge, which can be caused by something as simple as using an extension cord.

Ouch
Originally Posted By: Tesla
However, Tesla avoids this problem in virtually all instances with numerous counter-measures. Tesla batteries can remain unplugged for weeks (even months),

rolleyes
Posted by: Jeff2

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 11:15 AM

From the article:
"While discharge issues are inherent to lithium-ion battery technology, it's beyond the scope of this article to address the ramifications for electric vehicles in general."

In other words:
Don't get mad at us for badmouthing your your product. Besides, we wouldn't want to attempt to explain the issues involved to our readers because that gets technical and we don't want to understand how these new cars really work. We just want to be dumb, turn the key and go, without thinking about what it really means to be an electric vehicle.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 11:23 AM

What's wrong with that?

Do you really analyze all the intricacies and repercussions every time you turn the key in your internal combustion-powered car?

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BigNSlow
And yet Fisker isn't building anything.

James May was testing it on a public road in Britain.

That was a while ago.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-06...s-off-loan.html
Posted by: MGM2010

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 02:16 PM

What's wrong with that?

Do you really analyze all the intricacies and repercussions every time you turn the key in your internal combustion-powered car?

Why sure, the other day my wife was asking me to teach her how to avoid excessive wear on the torque converter when she needs to accelerate quickly while avoiding violent 4-2 shifts, and she is outside right now flushing the transmission fluid.

Not really.

nana

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 02:51 PM

What's wrong with that?

Hmm I dunno maybe someone might learn something??

Wait no, let's take out more fact and info and have short
easy paragraphs written at a 10 year olds reading level just
telling the obvious. Half of car reviews are that bad anyway now a
days...

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 03:05 PM

rolleyes

Have you driven a Tesla lately?

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 04:01 PM

Have you driven every car you read about? I doubt it.
So if you want to read about the technical specs on a new 2013 GT500 you
won't cuz you haven't driven it yet?

Yeahhhh that makes sense....

Wow I got a lot of not reading to do. Thanks Moby!
Posted by: Interim

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 04:03 PM

Samuel Clemens is rolling his eyes.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: KayTar
Have you driven every car you read about? I doubt it.
So if you want to read about the technical specs on a new 2013 GT500 you
won't cuz you haven't driven it yet?

Yeahhhh that makes sense....

Wow I got a lot of not reading to do. Thanks Moby!

There is much anger in this one.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 04:10 PM

Dude, don't be a idiot.

Re: Follow the Tesla Brick Road - 02/23/12 07:15 PM

There is much anger in this one.

Haha, no no it's called sarcasm silly.