Transmission slipping in overdrive

Posted by: spicyfishstick

Transmission slipping in overdrive - 06/09/10 06:52 PM

My transmission has a constant slip during slow acceleration while I have it in overdrive. I just recently seafoamed the car the same way AKA_Rizzo did it on a youtube video. Before then, I only noticed a slight slip every once in a while. Could this just be a simple fix with a "no slip transmission fluid", or a much bigger problem?
Posted by: XxScooby

Re: Transmission slipping in overdrive - 06/09/10 07:26 PM

How long has it been since you changed your fluid, these cars are known for the fluid to break down and cause problems. Mine was doin it and a simple fluid change helped

Re: Transmission slipping in overdrive - 06/09/10 08:12 PM

well i just recently bought it, so i don't know what has been done to it up to this point. I haven't changed any fluids in it. Which fluids specifically?
Posted by: SPM

Re: Transmission slipping in overdrive - 06/09/10 08:34 PM

The transmission fluid. That's usually the first thing to check when the transmission isn't behaving properly. Pull the transmission dipstick (located at the back of the engine) to inspect the fluid; it should be a healthy red color and should not smell burned. If it's brownish and/or smells burned, there are problems brewing internal to the transmission that a fluid change may not correct.

To check transmission fluid level, it must be up to normal operating temperature. Take the car for a 10-minute drive, and when you get where you're going, leave the engine running and shift through all the gears allowing each gear to fully engage. After this, put it into Park and then pull the dipstick to check the fluid level.

It's a bit more involved than checking the engine oil. ;\)

Re: Transmission slipping in overdrive - 06/09/10 08:41 PM

Good info spm

Re: Transmission slipping in overdrive - 06/10/10 05:43 PM

it definitely is a lot more involved. It took me forever just to find the dipstick lol. The fluid is for sure red, not brown...and there was no burning smell that i picked up on. The level of fluid was near the bottom of the hatched area. Would a low fluid level cause the slipping?

Re: Transmission slipping in overdrive - 06/10/10 06:44 PM

i might also add some other things about the transmission, to add more symptoms:
- strong jerk when shifting into reverse
- very noticeable jerk on 1-2 shift, and mild jerk on 2-3 shift, when accelerating strongly

Re: Transmission slipping in overdrive - 06/10/10 07:02 PM

Low fluid can cause your symptoms I believe