Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1030917 - 09/24/06 12:06 PM Towing Capacity?
SparkSVT Offline
n00b

Im considering buying either a 1999-2003 P71 of a 1994-1996 9C1 Caprice. I would much prefer the Ford Crown Vic but one question I have is how much weight can a P71 tow? Im looking to tow a Mustang police package car on an open car trailer from time to time. I need to know if the P71 is capable of doing this. Thanks!

Links
#1030918 - 09/24/06 12:18 PM Re: Towing Capacity?
Darnon Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Attica, NY
CV's can tow about 5000 lbs (ignore the 2000lb tow rating that Ford stuck on them 96+)
How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of. -Texas State Representative Dr. Suzanna Hupp

#1030919 - 09/24/06 12:36 PM Re: Towing Capacity?
MoWeRpAn Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Some may have towed a 5000 lbs trailer because as you know these were highly underated. These are both great vehicles and either would work, but you are kind of comparing a much newer vehicle to an older vehicle. I think you'd be happy with either choice however I would recommend the Caprice for a couple reasons. It has the LT1 which my car also has backed by a 4l60e. The LT1 is a very potent engine that makes more power and torque then the crown vic stock and is a more durable(Opinion) and tried and true power plant that's made to take a beating. Also the transmission is supperior for towing applications(One again my opinion) this is a heavier duty transmission that is also tried and true in everything from towing applications to high performance applications. Either choice would suffice but my opinion(maybe a little bias) is choose the LT1 powered caprice. Not to mention these vehicles are rated at 5000 lb tow capacity.

Edited by MoWeRpAn (09/24/06 12:38 PM)

1994 Buick Roadmaster
5.7 liter LT1 V8
S&B Air Intake
Dynomax Turbo Mufflers
PCMFORLESS.COM Custom Tune
Impala SS Wheels, 275/40/17 General UHP Tires
15.329 @ 89.25 MPH

#1030920 - 09/24/06 11:32 PM Re: Towing Capacity?
dRock96Marquis Offline
Da Governator
Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Quote:

Also the transmission is supperior for towing applications(One again my opinion) this is a heavier duty transmission that is also tried and true in everything from towing applications to high performance applications

The 4r70w has seen many applications, and has proven to be a reliable transmission so long as regualr maintenance is performed.

Is an f150 NOT a towing application?

Is a Mustang NOT a high-performance application?

Both have seen use of the 4r70w, for many years, rather sucessfully.

Quote:

The LT1 ....is a more durable(Opinion) and tried and true power plant that's made to take a beating

The 4.6 SOHC has been around since 91, and is still being used in the panthers. It has proven to be a dependable reliable power plant, from the extreme run times of police and taxi duty in Panthers, to tearing up the streets in Mustang GTs, to the high-strain use of towing and hauling in F-series trucks. There is no doubt a LT1 has more power, but there are many modulars still running with more miles than a LT1 could ever dream of.

Your points are completely valid, but can also be applied for the panthers.

A CVPI is the closest thing you can get to the old CV/GM Towing Package, which was rated at 5k lbs. The only thing the Towing package had over a CVPI was load-leveling RAS, and pre-wiring for trailer.

I personally would go for the Vic, I prefer the styling.

RIP 2vmodular

#1030921 - 09/24/06 11:39 PM Re: Towing Capacity?
Armada Master Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:

I think you'd be happy with either choice however I would recommend the Caprice for a couple reasons. It has the LT1 which my car also has backed by a 4l60e. The LT1 is a very potent engine that makes more power and torque then the crown vic stock and is a more durable(Opinion) and tried and true power plant that's made to take a beating. Also the transmission is supperior for towing applications(One again my opinion) this is a heavier duty transmission that is also tried and true in everything from towing applications to high performance applications.

HA! You have more faith in the 4L60E than this B-body junkie. I have been less than impressed with my current 4L60s in my 1992 Caprice to their 700r4 predecessors. The LT1 is however the superior engine to pick versus the 4.6. They won't be around forever and once your wear out your new B-body then you can move on to a Panther since they are a dime a dozen. The LT1 is no more of nightmare to work on the 4.6, and has the extra oomph to boot.

1993 Chevy Caprice 5.0 V8 70k miles
1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 70k miles
1991 Chevy Caprice wagon 5.0 V8 175K

#1030922 - 09/25/06 12:01 AM Re: Towing Capacity?
Dextrovic Offline
Poobah

Loc:  
Since it's been proven that a Crown Vic *can* tow 5000 lbs with a stock 4.6L just fine WTF is the logic behind going with a 10+ year old B-body instead?

Every single B-body I see on the road lately--and they're not many of them in these parts that are still road worthy--looks like it has been beaten hard and put away wet repeatedly every day of its life. The remaining Impala SSs especially look like freaking beaters now.

These days, I'd personally be really hesitant to pick up a used B-body as a tow vehicle, especially considering that Ford is still making the Crown Vic a decade later.

#1030923 - 09/25/06 12:54 AM Re: Towing Capacity?
92stockvic Offline

Loc: North Bay, ON.
Besides people might look at you funny towing your Ford with a Chevy haha. Keep in mind that the 'stang weighs a chunk more than 4000 lbs. It's not a light little car. Not saying you can't do it, just a lot of people underestimate the weight of a 'stang.

Moderator:  Liquid, Ryan, The_Punisher 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
2 registered (MyGrandMarquis, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
BigMerc96 154
Ezbok58a 149
road_pizza 139
a_d_a_m 121
BlackVic_P71 118
ponyguy 116
aknox077 88
Chaplian 88
73vwTodd 87
KayTar 82
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!