Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1213063 - 06/17/07 09:18 PM Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end
interceptor859 Offline

Loc: Mt. Sterling, KY
When I am driving at a fairly low rate of speed and I hit a speed bump, or going through a parking lot and hit a little divet there is a sort of knocking noise from the front end. Also, when I am on the highway driving, the front end squeaks all the time. On its worst days, when I shut the door, you can hear a little squeak. I was just messing around, and I stood at the front driver side fender and began rocking the car and I heard that same squeaking noise. I think it might be the shicks, but I am not near as experienced with these things as you guys are. What do you guys think?
2003 CVPI. Former Ohio Highway Patrol Unit #1693. Repainted black, total CVLX conversion including overhead console, MGM woodgrain door panels, woodgrain dash trim and steering wheel. Full leather interior swap from MGM.Flowmaster 40 series, rear cat delete.155k miles. Gone. Totaled Oct. 2011

2006 CVPI. Former Ohio Highway Patrol. 150k miles. 20% tint all around. Completely stock except center console.

2008 Black SAP CVPI. Former Iowa City Police Vehicle. 75k miles. 20% tint all around. Carpet swap from MGM, chrome OEM grille upgrade, as well as CVLX rear fascia and tail lights with chrome trim. Leather wrapped steering wheel swap from LTC. MGM woodgrain dash trim. Full CVLX conversion underway....

Links
#1213068 - 06/17/07 09:26 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: interceptor859]
Metallic_Vic Offline

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Check sway bar end link ball joint for wear or looseness and check upper/lower ball joints on the control arms.
Shouldn't be any play on these parts

As for the squeek the hood latch may be give you a squeek.

Mine is a 99P74 (4 door of coarse)

#1213087 - 06/17/07 09:44 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: Metallic_Vic]
interceptor859 Offline

I just went outside and was messing with the hood latch, and I did not hear any squeak in it when i engaged it, but I put some WD-40 on it anyways. After that, I stood at the front fender and rocked the car back and forth, and I could still hear that knocking noise. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the middle of the front end. I cannot hear any noise in the shocks, so I don't think that is the problem. Doesn't Midas take your car for a ride and they can figure what is wrong with it and give you a free estimate? Any ideas on what i should do. I am not experienced enough to get under there and try to do it myself, cause I really don't know what I am doing.
2003 CVPI. Former Ohio Highway Patrol Unit #1693. Repainted black, total CVLX conversion including overhead console, MGM woodgrain door panels, woodgrain dash trim and steering wheel. Full leather interior swap from MGM.Flowmaster 40 series, rear cat delete.155k miles. Gone. Totaled Oct. 2011

2006 CVPI. Former Ohio Highway Patrol. 150k miles. 20% tint all around. Completely stock except center console.

2008 Black SAP CVPI. Former Iowa City Police Vehicle. 75k miles. 20% tint all around. Carpet swap from MGM, chrome OEM grille upgrade, as well as CVLX rear fascia and tail lights with chrome trim. Leather wrapped steering wheel swap from LTC. MGM woodgrain dash trim. Full CVLX conversion underway....

#1213153 - 06/17/07 10:48 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: interceptor859]
Dan The Vic Man Offline
Poobah

Loc: Coon Rapids MN
Tie rod maybe.

1998 mercury Grand Marquis, 58k miles slower than a turtle stock as stock gets

RIP 99 CVPI

#1213157 - 06/17/07 10:59 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: Dan The Vic Man]
Quickvic30 Offline
Just watchin
Grand Poobah

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
the squeeking is the hood rubbing on the fenders up by the hood shocks, take a close look and you'll see where the paint is rubbed of and it's a metal on metal squeek. The other prob could be alot of things, you should get it on a lift and check the front end out.

#1213158 - 06/17/07 11:00 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: Dan The Vic Man]
95merckid Offline

Loc: wichita
i had the same problem i just sprayed the busching on my upper control arms with WD-40 that takes care of most of it the rest is your ball joints squieking

#1213182 - 06/17/07 11:21 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: 95merckid]
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Check the sway bar bushings for play.

#1213334 - 06/18/07 07:51 AM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: gord_bolton]
LTDteether Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Democratic Rep. of Southpaw
The trouble with some Midas and like places is that they will free estimate you into replacing EVERYTHING. If you don't know about cars, you have to find a mechanic that you trust. Ask friends and associates who they like. Others here may give you more advice about looking for play in the suspension and steering. I don't really feel I should try to do it off the top of my head. A general auto repair manual will also be of great use. If you have a place to work on it, get some ramps and start looking around under the front end. No one can really tell you what is wrong without looking at it and touching it.

#1213500 - 06/18/07 02:09 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: LTDteether]
VA P71 Offline
Smartass
Over the Hill

Loc: CONUS
I've got an annoying squeak in the front end and found out it is the upper control arm bushings....they're starting to shred a little. Open the hood and check the gap in the splash covers where the shocks are, that's where your upper control arm is and rock the vehicle.

2001 CVPI & 2004 Expedition

#1213851 - 06/18/07 10:30 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: VA P71]
interceptor859 Offline

does the ford dealership check out the front end and tell you what is wrong for free? i know that they charge one hour of labor to diagnose an engine problem but what about checking out the front end? anyone know?

#1214324 - 06/19/07 04:54 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: interceptor859]
interceptor859 Offline

it ended up being the sway bar end link on the drivers side making the noise. im gonna go ahead and replace both sides though.

#1214337 - 06/19/07 05:14 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: interceptor859]
Mileaway Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: Sacto. Calif.
Dealers are alot like Doctors-You've got 5 min.Pay at the desk.

Little Anthony: That's all the television there is.

#1214386 - 06/19/07 06:07 PM Re: Knocking and Squeaking noise from front end [Re: Mileaway]
jaybird Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: San Jose Ca.
how much was it to have them repalced? or how much were the parts?
Its funny I just in the last day noticed, I have the exact same squeaking when I turn the wheel just a little and any bump I hit..It sounds like the heat sheild is hitting something to as I hit bumps? Is that a motor mount? So what do you experts think..I am so thankful for this CVN! I can also see a tie rod? way down benenth the battery and in front on the passenger side looks like a linkage there is a rubber bushing /washer thats hanging by a few threads...ouch..Is that a tie rod? I will need a rebulid to my front end? what does that usually cost? THANKS JAY
169K miles / Goodyear Gatorback Belt / Modified K&N CAI FIPK w/ Lower Inlet / Magnaflow 12255 Mufflers / KYB Gas A Just Shocks / Rear Coil Spring Conversion / 18" Mustang Fanblades! 1.5" Hubcentric Spacers / Michelin Pilot HXMX M4 235/50/18 Tires / Hawk HPS Brake Pads F&R / SilverStar Light Bulbs

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
12 registered (defflepp1, 73vwTodd, Bangster, BigMerc96, aknox077, 1 invisible), 66 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ezbok58a 150
BigMerc96 150
road_pizza 140
BlackVic_P71 118
ponyguy 117
a_d_a_m 108
aknox077 91
KayTar 88
73vwTodd 87
124neta 85
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!