Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1232819 - 07/13/07 06:59 PM My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse?
Ask_The_Shack Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Long Island, NY
Well, I was driving to Queens on Sunday, and I was making a left hand turn (I was fallowing the road), and my car died. The steering went tight, and the car coasted to a stop. I was lucky that it rolled all the way to the shoulder.

I called my uncle (luckly I was about 5 blocks away from his house), and he pushed my car all the way to his place. I have a nice big 'ol scratch on my bumper now \:\(

The party was nice, and I had a good time. Luckly, my Girlfriend has AAA, so I was able to get it towed all the way from Queens to my house in Suffolk County for free.

On Thursday, I had my GF use AAA again, and tow it to my local shop. They said it was a blown fuel pump fuse (does that exist?). Cost me $50, and I had it back that night. I was excited.

Come today, Friday, I get up, excited that I have my car back, hop in, and start to drive to work. I get at the first traffic light, make a left, and what do you know? It died. It did exactly the same as it did in Queens.

My guess is that it has some kinda grounding problem that's causing a short, and blowing the fuse when I make a left hand turn, but only sometimes, because I made a left hand turn to get it home (when it was fixed), and it didn't die.

Luckly, where it died, you could see the shop that fixed it. Long story short, my car is back there, it's 7 PM, and they haven't called me back. any ideas on what it could be?

The only thing I could think that could cause this is that when I was driving to Queens, I had the radio on, my laptop plugged into a 150 watt inverter, and the AC on. When I drove to work today, Friday, I only had the radio on, no AC, and nothing in the cigarette lighter.

Anyway, any info you guys could give me would help, and also, where is the fuse for the fuel pump, and how many amps is it?

Thanks in advance.

Car pics located here

Fog light pics located here

Find out how to paint your grille here

Links
#1232850 - 07/13/07 07:28 PM Re: My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse? [Re: Ask_The_Shack]
bigred161 Offline

Loc: Broad Brook, CT
The fuse for the electric fuel pump relay is in the power distribution box under the hood. It is in the number one slot and it is a 20amp mini fuse. Page 137 in the owner's manual.

#1232893 - 07/13/07 08:11 PM Re: My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse? [Re: bigred161]
Ask_The_Shack Offline
Over the Hill

Thanks. I guess I'll have to buy a bunch of them just in case. any idea why it could be blowing?

Car pics located here

#1232957 - 07/13/07 09:43 PM Re: My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse? [Re: Ask_The_Shack]
Fordiesel69 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Erie, PA
With your year and mileage it is probably worn out and over amping (drawing too much current). I would have the shop replace it with a genuine motorcraft and go from there. Also think about any recent modds you might have done, such as a stereo or routing of any wires. There is a chaseway under the rubber floor to the left of the drivers seat, if you penetrate a screw into some wires, you can have the same effect.
-04' F-150 Heritage 4x4 - Extended Cab, 3.55's, White w/ Tan interior, 188K
-99' Lincoln Town Car - Signature Series, 3.08's, Silver Frost Metallic, 94K

#1232960 - 07/13/07 09:53 PM Re: My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse? [Re: Fordiesel69]
Ask_The_Shack Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
With your year and mileage it is probably worn out and over amping (drawing too much current). I would have the shop replace it with a genuine motorcraft and go from there. Also think about any recent modds you might have done, such as a stereo or routing of any wires. There is a chaseway under the rubber floor to the left of the drivers seat, if you penetrate a screw into some wires, you can have the same effect.

Yeah, it could be a bad pump. How much does it usually cost for the part, and labor to get a new fuel pump installed?

As for recent mods, I haven't done any. Also, the stereo I put in has been in there a year, so I don't think it's that.

As far as drilling screws through wires, I haven't drilled into my car at all. BTW, I have carpet, not rubber :P

Car pics located here

#1233252 - 07/14/07 06:41 AM Re: My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse? [Re: Ask_The_Shack]
panther service advisor Offline
Climber

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have seen this before, especially since I use to work on a lot panthers. Check your wiring coming from fuel pump. Have some on watch the fuel pump fuse as you move the wires back and forth. If the fuse pops, then you either have uninsulated wire that is touching against metal some where or the wiring is brittle and touching each other. You need to also follow the wiring from the fuel pump to the underhood fuse block to see if their is any new (fresh) damage under the vehicle which could had damage the wiring.
96 CV LX with every option including memory seat and air suspension, except HPP. mods:98+ front brakes, 98-02 CVPI wheels, CVPI front springs, anti-sway bars, 02B02 fuel tank shield, CVPI TC and flywheel and CVPI PCM. (sold)
99 Dodge Dakota R/T 5.9 Club Cab Red 1 of 1100 (sold)
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (4X2) (Weekend family hauler)
1989 Taurus SHO Hypertech chip and Big brake upgrade (sold)
1993 Taurus SHO Big brake upgrade (sold)

#1235271 - 07/17/07 11:56 AM Re: My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse? [Re: panther service advisor]
Ask_The_Shack Offline
Over the Hill

Well, I got my car back from the shop. They couldn't locate the short, or find out what the problem is. He replaced the fuse, drove it around, and said it wasn't popping any more fuses. I just hope that the jiggled some wires the right way, and it's not going to pop any more fuses.

I'm planning to drive it around my neighborhood, and possibly on the highway, and see what happens. I bout some extra fuses, just in case.

Now I just godda repair/replace the rear bumper because of that nice gash, and hope that my car won't leave me stranded.

Thanks for your help all. \:\)

Car pics located here

#1235439 - 07/17/07 04:26 PM Re: My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse? [Re: Ask_The_Shack]
Big_Bad_Joe Offline
Poobah

Loc: Rochester NY
its either the pump failing or the wiring as suggested

it wont stop.. but good luck...

2000 HPP RESURECTION RIP 8/17/2012 died in Dayton OH

#1236116 - 07/18/07 11:09 AM Re: My '99 keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse? [Re: Big_Bad_Joe]
Ask_The_Shack Offline
Over the Hill

Yeah, probably, but I don't want to drop a heap of money for a new fuel pump+labor. The shop tired to trace the short, but couldn't find one, so It's probably going to be the fuel pump. I hope not, because I can't afford that right now....

Car pics located here

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
23 registered (Bellwestern80, 11b101abn, 72mgm98, aknox077, 73vwTodd, 4 invisible), 54 Guests and 122 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
KayTar 323
optik 241
CNGInterceptor 222
Ezbok58a 210
road_pizza 207
BigMerc96 205
Moby_Vic 188
ponyguy 177
gplayer 165
BlackVic_P71 158
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!