Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1345928 - 12/14/07 10:52 AM Replacing lower ball joint - DIY without press
gmsuks Offline
Rookie

Loc: NorthEast Indiana
Is there any link here that demonstrates the R&R of the lower Ball joints on a 1997 CV?? I had read at one time where people replace the lowers without the use of a press and wanted to give it a try. THANKS for any help.
Greg

Links
#1345942 - 12/14/07 11:17 AM Re: Replacing lower ball joint - DIY without press [Re: gmsuks]
mblazakep Offline
Insert Title Here
Poobah

Loc: Virginia
you don't need a hydraulic press, but you need a press of some sort. i had no problem swapping out the lower ball joints on my '93 with a c-clamp style ball joint press i rented from the local auto parts store.

it's pretty straightforward, you just need to decide if you are going to do it on the car or off the car and if you are going to use a spring compressor to get the spring out or live dangerously and do it with a floor jack.

you need something like this:

an impact wrench helps alot if you can get one.

2000 P71 100k mis. (DC-Metro unit 333) PI intake, Teh MZT, Remote start w/ keyless entry, Heinous RCAs, Bilsteins
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 318 5spd. 180k mis. SJ class II 3", Accel coil, Hughes Engines plenum kit, 2-1/2" stainless exaust, free flow cat, flowmaster 40 series

#1345967 - 12/14/07 11:50 AM Re: Replacing lower ball joint - DIY without press [Re: mblazakep]
gmsuks Offline
Rookie

Thanks mblazakep,
I'll stop in at the local Autozone and rent a c-clamp press. I already replaced the upper ball joints, so I'm about ready for the alinment.
Greg

#1345971 - 12/14/07 11:58 AM Re: Replacing lower ball joint - DIY without press [Re: gmsuks]
Quickvic30 Offline
Just watchin
Grand Poobah

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Yeah you need that ball joint C clamp, i have one and use it all the time at work. \:\)

#1346225 - 12/14/07 06:41 PM Re: Replacing lower ball joint - DIY without press [Re: Quickvic30]
gmsuks Offline
Rookie

Upper and lower ball joints and the inner and outer tie rods now replaced. What are the best replacements for the sway bar rod ends?? I've seen some that bolt to the lower a-arm that have polyurethane bushings. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Greg

#1346723 - 12/15/07 01:29 PM Re: Replacing lower ball joint - DIY without press [Re: gmsuks]
SilverSport Offline
Climber

Loc: Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Tips from the old school:
For those of you following this thread, yes you can remove and install ball jts without a press. Us older guys used to do it all the time with a "BFH" (big Ford hammer), a floor jack and a block of wood. I'll try to describe the technique the best I can remember. First, jack the car up under the control arm spring seat so the floor jack is not blocking the ball joint. Disconnect ball joint from the knuckle. Take the BFH and bang the ball joint out of the arm. Take your time and bang around the joint so you don't distort the lower arm. Next take a spare jack stand (you do have one under the frame,right?)place under the control arm the best you can and remove the jack. You have to be careful here the jack stand does not slip and the spring unloads suddenly. Put the block of wood on the saddle of the floor jack and the ball joint on top of that. Jack the ball joint up into the hole making sure it goes straight in and doesn't get [censored]. Now give the jack a few strokes so the spring loads the control arm. Next bang on the top of the control arm around the outside of the ball joint so the joint seats itself into the arm. Ball joint is now installed. That's how we used to do it, but I would only do this in the case of an emergency. Back then we didn't have parts stores we could rent tools from so we did what we could with what we had. This technique can weaken the arm and distort the hole if not done correctly so it is much better to use the press (easier too).

Infinity Reference 6x8's/XM Radio/bc4ever dead pedal/BH1976 headlamp harness/Phillips Xtreme Power 9007
Addco Sway Bars/KYB PI struts/Moog PI front springs/Gabriel PI shocks/Mustang 17x8 split spoke

"Simon Bar Sinister"

#1346741 - 12/15/07 01:56 PM Re: Replacing lower ball joint - DIY without press [Re: SilverSport]
Quickvic30 Offline
Just watchin
Grand Poobah

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
YoU could also just buy a whole new lower A arm with new buschings and ball joint \:\) there $119 at http://www.rockauto.com

#1346759 - 12/15/07 02:17 PM Re: Replacing lower ball joint - DIY without press [Re: mblazakep]
Dextrovic Offline
Poobah

Loc:  
 Originally Posted By: mblazakep
it's pretty straightforward, you just need to decide if you are going to do it on the car or off the car and if you are going to use a spring compressor to get the spring out or live dangerously and do it with a floor jack.

Mind the quality and condition of the spring compressor: some, especially the overly-loved Vatozone variety, are downright dangerous as they do tend to suddenly slip without warning and let go of the spring coils. Worse, when the spring compressor slips, it tends to be in a better position to cause serious harm than just the spring alone.

So unlike the floor jack method where one fully expects the spring to make an exit at any moment and put out one's eye--and a whole lot more--with extreme prejudice, there's a level of false security associated with using a spring compressor that makes it far more dangerous.

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
27 registered (88LTDCV351, 73tinman, Bangster, aknox077, 98cacvpi, 4 invisible), 82 Guests and 123 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
KayTar 266
optik 233
CNGInterceptor 215
road_pizza 201
BigMerc96 200
Ezbok58a 195
Moby_Vic 168
ponyguy 163
gplayer 150
Black_Sunshine 145
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!