Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1553293 - 09/02/08 11:41 AM transmission leak???????????????????????
luckyrazrbk26 Offline
n00b

Loc: Tn
ok i put a used transmission in mt 98 cv. it started leaking so i put a new seal in it and it was still leaking. then i put another torque converter on it because the other one looked like it had been tampered with. even after all of that it is still leaking and i cant figure it out and no one else can either. its really frustrating and i need the car to get to work. so if anyone can tell me anything please get back with me!!!!!!!

Links
#1553316 - 09/02/08 12:13 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: ]
luckyrazrbk26 Offline
n00b

well i siliconed around the. its comming out from around the bell housing and where the rubber cap is at the bottom of the tranny

#1553317 - 09/02/08 12:14 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: luckyrazrbk26]
luckyrazrbk26 Offline
n00b

tube**

#1553327 - 09/02/08 12:24 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: ]
luckyrazrbk26 Offline
n00b

thats my only guess, the torque converter that came with the tranny had some kind of sleeve on it and it looked like it had been messed with. so i put the ther tq in it but that sleeve might of messed the seal up. i just want to make sure it cant be anything else before i put another seal in it and it still leaks.

#1553346 - 09/02/08 12:35 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: ]
luckyrazrbk26 Offline
n00b

well since ive been dealing with it, everyone has said the seal or tc. i mean thats the only 2 things i know of real myself, where it is leaking anyways.

#1553465 - 09/02/08 02:16 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: luckyrazrbk26]
bjorkmae Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Chicago Area, IL
Hey out of curiosity how quickly can you pull and re-install the transmission now? I would think your getting pretty good at it. Sorry to here about your frustration.

Sold:
SUPERCHARGED 1998 CVPI with 2001 5.4 PI swap, V2 S-trim Vortech @ 8PSI, 2.5" duals with X-pipe & a lot of other goodies.

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp202/bjorkmae/

#1553523 - 09/02/08 03:24 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: bjorkmae]
luckyrazrbk26 Offline
n00b

i can have it ready to drop in about 30 mins. the problem in im not using air tools and im working in the middle of the yard with the car on blocks, so its a pain. its all good, i will figure it out sooner or later lol.

#1553547 - 09/02/08 03:47 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: luckyrazrbk26]
bjorkmae Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Chicago Area, IL
Thats way quicker than I could do it.

Sold:
SUPERCHARGED 1998 CVPI with 2001 5.4 PI swap, V2 S-trim Vortech @ 8PSI, 2.5" duals with X-pipe & a lot of other goodies.

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp202/bjorkmae/

#1553665 - 09/02/08 06:19 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: bjorkmae]
luckyrazrbk26 Offline
n00b

i figure im just going to take my front pump off of my other tranny and get another new seal and put lock tight on it. does anyone have any other options?

#1553697 - 09/02/08 06:52 PM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: bjorkmae]
Stick Offline
Climber

Loc: Oshawa Ontario Canada
Did you check to see if there is a burr on the convertor hub.You have to pull it apart to fix it .Grab a clean rag and put it around the convertor hub and turn it back and froth. If there is a burr you will feel it grab the rag. You will need fine sand paper to remove any burr if any. Use both hands and polish till the burr is gone then wipe down hub with transmissin fluid wet on your hand. Slide the new seal on the hub making sure you are buying the right seal and its fitting tight.Make sure when your installing the seal on the imput shaft that it is going in straight. As well when installing the convertor use both hands to (support) the convertor.Rub( transmission fluid )on the convertor hub DO NOT install the convertor hub passed the seal dry.

#1554106 - 09/03/08 07:28 AM Re: transmission leak??????????????????????? [Re: Stick]
Blue95 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Past the Horizon
Hope I understood your first post right, here is my 2cents.

Silicone just doesn't work well for sealing the outside of the dipstick tube. If that's possibly leaking, replace the o-ring. You will need to unbolt the tube from the back of the engine - one of the bellhousing bolts holds the tube as you probably already know \:\)

The sleeve on the TQ sounds like it had a won hub and somebody stuck a sleeve over it. Personally, I think that if it's that worn, then the TQ should be replaced as I would suspect lotsa miles.

Leak possibilities in front - front seal, pump o-ring, or pump gasket. The front seal needs to be installed carefully and be sure that the little internal spring that goes around the inside to hold the rubber part is in place after you install it. It can get knocked out of place sometimes. As mentioned, the new seal needs to be lubed and installed straight. Also, wait until you are ready to install the tranny then install the TQ, don't stick the TQ in the unit and leave it hanging for a couple of days, it can distort the seal. Also, I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but be sure that you have the right seal for the application, you never know.

When you unbolt the front pump, there is a gasket that goes around the perimeter and there is a also a big 0-ring that goes around the circumference of the pump housing. The idea is that when you tighten down on the bolts, the o-ring wedges into place and the gasket seals off the back face of the pump housing. Both can be possible points of leaking, but both are very cheap in part cost, unfortunately lots of labor. However, if you have the tranny out anyway, it may be worth taking a close look to see if the leak is possibly coming from these.

1995 P71-SOLD
2002 HPP-SOLD
badgeless grille-tinted tails-Hrbacek whiteface gauges-Pioneer spkrs-12" sub-reworked tranny internals-Sonnax/jmod upgrades-ceramic pads-urethane swaybar bushings-new timing chains/guides/tensioners-Granatelli plenum-75mmTB-MZT-NGKTR6 plugs-180d thermo-Steeda UD's-BOC 93tune-Thrush mufflers-LED interior/door puddle lights-Projector HID retrofit-MM corners-LED signal mirrors-17x8 TorqThrust wheels-235/55/17 Contental ExtremeContact DWS tires
2003 LX Sport-SOLD Hrbacek whiteface gauges-Pioneer spkrs-12"sub-reworked tranny internals-Sonnax/jmod upgrades-urethane swaybar bushings-Thrush mufflers-ceramic pads-Steeda UDs-LED interior/trunk/door lights-rebuilt 3.27 axle
Current = 2011 Silverado, time for a change

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
17 registered (69_FORD_LTD, bluemarvin2929, dwg52378, 2007CrownVic, brownie, 2004_p71), 70 Guests and 128 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
KayTar 246
optik 232
CNGInterceptor 215
BigMerc96 201
Ezbok58a 194
road_pizza 189
ponyguy 164
Moby_Vic 157
BlackVic_P71 146
Black_Sunshine 144
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!