Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1579272 - 10/08/08 04:18 PM Lower Ball-joint Replacement?
Logix7 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: West of Chicago
Tried searching on here as well google.

Can anybody offer any information as how to replace a Lower Ball Joint (92-97)?

Thanks

2004 Crown Victoria PI - Dark Blue Pearl
----------------------SOLD----------------------

Links
#1579291 - 10/08/08 04:43 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: Logix7]
troyco Offline
Climber

Loc: Ontario, Canada
it needs to be pressed out, something that's better done in a shop. takes less than an hour. i did mine with a ball joint press tool and torches. or you can buy the whole lower control arm complete with a new ball joint AND bushings and fix it yourself in your driveway, whichever is easier for you.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
70mm Aviator throttle body, Professional Products ported upper plenum, STEEDA underdrive pulleys, Auto Meter tach, MSD 8mm wires, MSD coils, 180 thermostat, 17" BULLITT wheels with 245/45/ZR17 Good Year rubber, Blue Oval Industries ceramic coated headers, custom 2.25" cat-back exhaust with x-pipe, Edelbrock SDT mufflers, stainless exhaust tips, Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, 21mm HPP rear sway bar
UPCOMING MODS:
Snow tires and an oil change.

#1579417 - 10/08/08 07:11 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: troyco]
Logix7 Offline
Over the Hill

Well I planned on renting/buying the balljoint press to do the job myself.

I'm looking for specifics as to how to go about doing it.

#1579483 - 10/08/08 08:58 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: Logix7]
DeadHeadP71 Offline
Climber

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Jack stand under frame, jack under lower ball joint. Raise to unload the ball joint, undo from knuckle. SLOWLY, SLOWLY, SLOWLY lower the jack to unload the spring and remove. Undo control arm bolts, and press out the old one.

Edited by DeadHeadP71 (10/09/08 12:34 AM)
BF Goodrich Control Plus

#1580531 - 10/10/08 12:34 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: DeadHeadP71]
mblazakep Offline
Insert Title Here
Poobah

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: DeadHeadP71
Jack stand under frame, jack under lower ball joint. Raise to unload the ball joint, undo from knuckle. SLOWLY, SLOWLY, SLOWLY lower the jack to unload the spring and remove. Undo control arm bolts, and press out the old one.

This will work but I wanted to add a few things.

You need to first remove the shock.
When you go to remove the LBJ from the knuckle loosen the nut but do not remove it completely. Leave about a half inch gap between the bottom of the nut and the knuckle. This will let you separate the BJ from the knuckle with a hammer but the nut will keep the control arm and spring from flying. After the BJ is seperated you can jack the control arm up, remove the nut completely and follow the above instructions.

Doing any spring work with a jack is very dangerous (I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful). The safest way to remove the spring is with an internal spring compressor.

I would also recommend running a chain through the spring and around the frame just as a precaution while you lower the jack.

2000 P71 100k mis. (DC-Metro unit 333) PI intake, Teh MZT, Remote start w/ keyless entry, Heinous RCAs, Bilsteins
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 318 5spd. 180k mis. SJ class II 3", Accel coil, Hughes Engines plenum kit, 2-1/2" stainless exaust, free flow cat, flowmaster 40 series

#1580594 - 10/10/08 02:21 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: mblazakep]
Rizzo Offline
J-MOD Master
Metroplectic

Loc: Romulus,MI
Or do like my buddy...Listen to me tell you its the Lower ball joint....DONT FIX IT...Let it drop the control arm unexpectedly.

That was actually very easy to fix for him.

Would you believe me if I told you it dropped in the parking spot in front of his Apt !

God favors the foolish.

The Jmod video is done! LINK!

#1580609 - 10/10/08 02:52 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: Rizzo]
Logix7 Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: 97CV
Would you believe me if I told you it dropped in the parking spot in front of his Apt !

Would you believe me if I told you that I had my Driver side lower break on me while going over train-tracks?

.scary.

#1580611 - 10/10/08 02:56 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: Logix7]
Rizzo Offline
J-MOD Master
Metroplectic

Loc: Romulus,MI
OH WOW

The Jmod video is done! LINK!

#1580618 - 10/10/08 03:11 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: Rizzo]
mblazakep Offline
Insert Title Here
Poobah

Loc: Virginia
This thread sounds like an episode of Get Smart.

2000 P71 100k mis. (DC-Metro unit 333) PI intake, Teh MZT, Remote start w/ keyless entry, Heinous RCAs, Bilsteins
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 318 5spd. 180k mis. SJ class II 3", Accel coil, Hughes Engines plenum kit, 2-1/2" stainless exaust, free flow cat, flowmaster 40 series

#1580665 - 10/10/08 04:56 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: mblazakep]
DeadHeadP71 Offline
Climber

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
 Originally Posted By: mblazakep
 Originally Posted By: DeadHeadP71

This will work but I wanted to add a few things.

You need to first remove the shock.
When you go to remove the LBJ from the knuckle loosen the nut but do not remove it completely. Leave about a half inch gap between the bottom of the nut and the knuckle. This will let you separate the BJ from the knuckle with a hammer but the nut will keep the control arm and spring from flying. After the BJ is seperated you can jack the control arm up, remove the nut completely and follow the above instructions.

Doing any spring work with a jack is very dangerous (I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful). The safest way to remove the spring is with an internal spring compressor.

I would also recommend running a chain through the spring and around the frame just as a precaution while you lower the jack.

Those "on car" spring compressors are not safe in my opinion. I have seen them 'bannana' backwards and let the spring go. Very scary. It would be safer to put a jack stand under the lower ball joint, then jack up the frame to release the spring tension slowly.
BF Goodrich Control Plus

#1582427 - 10/12/08 08:19 PM Re: Lower Ball-joint Replacement? [Re: DeadHeadP71]
logan126 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Jefferson, Ga
^^^agreed. Although when I replaced both on my car, I did not remove the spring. I used a bottle jack to raise then lower the control arm and used a ball joint press from Auto Zone to remove the BJ.

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
11 registered (HiFiMerc, bigred161, Boston_Cvpi, cat69, filthyboatguy, 1 invisible), 65 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
BigMerc96 152
Ezbok58a 144
road_pizza 132
a_d_a_m 120
BlackVic_P71 112
ponyguy 107
73vwTodd 85
aknox077 84
Chaplian 81
KayTar 81
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!