Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1584635 - 10/15/08 08:29 AM Leaking axle vent hose
jhilla68 Offline

Loc: Warren, MI
Howdy folks, car in question is a 2004 LX Sport

I noticed last week a small spot in my drive-way under the driver's side rear axle. I had a chance to throw it up on a hoist this weekend and there's oil on the axle, gas tank and surrounding areas. It appears as if it's leaking out of the axle "vent hose." There's a candy-cane shaped hose coming out of the axle facing upwards. After searching on here, it seems like that's the vent hose.

I know axle seals, bearings are a common issue with these cars. But, wouldn't all the fluid be spewing out over the wheels and brake area? Those areas appear to be squeaky clean....which is what has me stumped. In addition, a couple of months ago, the dealer replaced one, if not both, axles seals under my extended warranty. Of course now the car is out of warranty, or I would've just taken it back in.

Sorry for the length, any light you fine folks could shed would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by jhilla68 (10/15/08 08:42 AM)
1967 Lincoln Continental Sedan (project car)

Links
#1584641 - 10/15/08 08:44 AM Re: Leaking axle vent hose [Re: BigNSlow]
jhilla68 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bluemobile
The axle vent breather is probably clogged up. Check the axle vent, make sure it is not plugged at all. If it is the heat can build up excess pressure and force the fluid through seals and such.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the axle vent you are referring to the candy-cane shaped hose on the top of the axle? If so, that's where the fluid seems to be leaking from.

#1584675 - 10/15/08 09:32 AM Re: Leaking axle vent hose [Re: jhilla68]
Steve83 Offline
Poobah

Loc: Memphis, TN 38002, USA, Earth,...
Wasps sometimes pack the end of the tube with mud, or the tube itself rots & splits at the bottom. Crush it to check for mud (but don't let the dirt go into the axle) and if it's split, remove the clamp, cut the split off, & reinstall the hose.

. . .

#1584678 - 10/15/08 09:36 AM Re: Leaking axle vent hose [Re: jhilla68]
coldfusion11 Offline
n00b pwn
Over the Hill

Loc: Rochester Hills, MI
Yes, that is the vent hose. All is does is keep the pressure inside the sxle the same as outside.

There is a rubber hose attached to a nipple thing with a hex bolt on it. Mine seems to leak a little more than I would like.

Take a wrench of proper size and make sure that the nut is tight (the hose will spin freely on the nut, buit make sure the nut is tight.

Take the hose off and clean it out with brake cleaner or something like that. Even wd 40.

Then put it back on. and use some sort of pick device to make sure the nipple isnt clogged up.

That should be it. That is also where the fluid will leak from if the axle pumpkin is overfilled.

Hope this helps....and BTW where the hell have you been lately?!
Power/Suspension Mods: ADTR P&P upper plenum, dual exhaust and flowmaster original 40's/Marauder Tips turbo mufflers and dumps, FRPP 3.55 Tlock, Lonnie at BOC Tune, Marauder MAF and Box w/ '04 Zip tube, IAS rear shocks, HPP 21mm rear bar, ENS rear poly kit, ADDCO STOCK front sway bar, J-Mod by Rizzo...
Appearance/Sound Mods: Color match grill surround, Hella 500's behind grill, clear corners with corner light turn signal mod w/ 168 brighter bulbs, black grained mirror caps, Pioneer HU with two kicker L7 ported on a Hifonics HFI2000D at 2000w rms, BH1976's famous headlight wiring harness, LED reverse bulbs, 80w/100w headlight bulbs...

#1584688 - 10/15/08 09:44 AM Re: Leaking axle vent hose [Re: coldfusion11]
TheDriver959 Offline
Climber

Loc: Oshawa, ON
It could also be your pinion seal. Mine went, and the symptoms were the same (gear oil sprayed all over the gas tank, surrounding areas and covering the axle) Check to see if oil is dripping out of the pinion seal (it's the seal between the driveshaft and axle, if you don't know) If it is, go get a new one. But phone around, because I had mine done for $85CDN over-the-table. Ford wanted almost $200 to do it for me. But don't let it carry on, because it will get worse over time. And with the cost of filling the diff being about $100 (and a new diff being even more) it's not worth it to let it be.
LX Sport Console & Floor Shifter, Gentex Electrochromic Mirror w/compass, Marauder Cluster, Speed Control w/leather wheel, LED turn signals, HID headlights (projectors coming), EATC (DIY, in progress), Marauder corners, Rewired DRL, Rewired turn signals, Maraudered headlights, Grille Mounted Driving Lights, Bullitt Wheels, Pirelli Tires and a Custom Ram Air System. More to come!

#1584725 - 10/15/08 10:44 AM Re: Leaking axle vent hose [Re: coldfusion11]
jhilla68 Offline

Thanks a ton for all the replies, folks. I'll do some digging around this weekend and see where I'm at. Much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: coldfusion11
Hope this helps....and BTW where the hell have you been lately?!

LOL...I've been working a ton and traveling for said work. I "lurk" here and there and check for meets in the area. Doesn't seem like much has been going on around these parts lately.

#1584732 - 10/15/08 10:57 AM Re: Leaking axle vent hose [Re: jhilla68]
kustomizingkid Offline
Poobah

Loc: Minnesota
Mine hose was very very short on my car, like 2 inches, and there was a litte fluid coming out of it. I bought a longer hose, put it on and then put a tiny air filter on the end of the hose to keep anything from going into it.

1998 Mark VIII Collector's Edition 110,000 miles

#1584753 - 10/15/08 11:40 AM Re: Leaking axle vent hose [Re: kustomizingkid]
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
X2 on the pinion seal.

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
13 registered (dr1, 124neta, E30guy, Chaplian, AlexPanther, CrownVic97, 2 invisible), 76 Guests and 174 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
road_pizza 295
a_d_a_m 278
Moby_Vic 195
BigMerc96 192
Ezbok58a 168
Chicago2VP71 156
aknox077 154
BigNSlow 116
Chaplian 114
73vwTodd 110
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!