Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1716170 - 03/16/09 02:25 PM Installing outside-of-tank fuel pump?
pakrat Offline
Stranger

Loc: Kansas City, MO
86 Crown Vic 302 EFI. Fuel pump apparently getting weak. Low pressure at injector rail test port. Car won't start now.

Rather than spend $200 for a new in-tank OEM fuel pump, plus shop charges for installing it, plus tow bill to shop, I'm considering installing an aftermarket in-line high pressure electric fuel pump designed for fuel injected engines.

Questons:

1) The aftermarket pump is rated at 80 psi. I believe injector rail pressure is supposed to be about 45 psi. Does this car already have a downstream fuel pressure regulator that would dump anything over 45 psi back to the fuel tank?

2) Any other issues I might run into installing an aftermarket in-line fuel pump?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

#1716177 - 03/16/09 02:34 PM Re: Installing outside-of-tank fuel pump? [Re: pakrat]
JeffBoudah Offline

Poobah

Loc: Holland,MI
 Originally Posted By: pakrat
1) The aftermarket pump is rated at 80 psi. I believe injector rail pressure is supposed to be about 45 psi. Does this car already have a downstream fuel pressure regulator that would dump anything over 45 psi back to the fuel tank?

2) Any other issues I might run into installing an aftermarket in-line fuel pump?

1) you have a fuel pressure regulator, look behind your TB on the fuel rail. It is not adjustable, and i think the factory setting is like 39.5psi w/o vacuum applied.

2) without the intank pump running, it is now an obstruction. So it would need to be removed. In doing so, you perform 85% of the work required to replace it. I only paid $99 for a new 255lph intank a while back... a fox body fuel pump is the same pump is the same design, so look around they are everywhere.

1979 LTD 2-Door, 64k miles, Mint
2003 Explorer XLT 155k miles, bone stock and staying that way... maybe

#1716195 - 03/16/09 02:49 PM Re: Installing outside-of-tank fuel pump? [Re: JeffBoudah]
pakrat Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: JeffBoudah
I only paid $99 for a new 255lph intank a while back... a fox body fuel pump is the same pump is the same design, so look around they are everywhere.

"Fox body"? Is that a brand name? Model or stock number?

#1716196 - 03/16/09 02:52 PM Re: Installing outside-of-tank fuel pump? [Re: pakrat]
JeffBoudah Offline

Poobah

Loc: Holland,MI
Sorry, fox body mustang.

any 86-93 mustang fuel pump will work...

1979 LTD 2-Door, 64k miles, Mint
2003 Explorer XLT 155k miles, bone stock and staying that way... maybe

#1716200 - 03/16/09 02:57 PM Re: Installing outside-of-tank fuel pump? [Re: JeffBoudah]
pakrat Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: JeffBoudah
Sorry, fox body mustang.

any 86-93 mustang fuel pump will work...

Hmmmm.... sounds like a trip to U-pull-it parts yard! \:\)

#1716368 - 03/16/09 06:33 PM Re: Installing outside-of-tank fuel pump? [Re: pakrat]
pakrat Offline
Stranger

Ok, change of plans. New plan is to leave the existing pump in the fuel tank. It runs and pumps, but won't build up sufficent pressure on the injector rail. So I'm planning to take the easy way out and add an in-line pump to boost the pressure on up to whatever that engine needs. I'm looking at Bosch, Walbro, and Vortech in-line pumps. Probably any one of them would work.

I can't go to the parts yard, as my car isn't running. I can't drop the tank as I live in an apartment. I'll just order an inline pump, wait for it to get here, put it on, and wire it in parallel with the existing in-tank fuel pump, that way it runs when the in-tank pump runs.

This is a temporary fix until I can get another car. This 86 has 290k miles, I've gotten my money's worth out of it several times over, and it's probably going to the salvage yard soon as I can get another vehicle. Naturally I'll pull the new inline pump off.

Moderator:  88grandmarq, MAFpilot 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
15 registered (bobb, cdr-m@x, aknox077, 00MGMLS, Boston_Cvpi, 2 invisible), 74 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
BigMerc96 153
Ezbok58a 144
road_pizza 136
a_d_a_m 120
BlackVic_P71 109
ponyguy 107
73vwTodd 87
aknox077 86
KayTar 83
Chaplian 81
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!