Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1726120 - 03/27/09 10:54 AM Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space.
kamikazefowler Offline
Rookie

Loc: canada
I'm wondering if anybody has done this with good looking results. If I understand correctly, I'll need to 'relocate'(/reshape) some HVAC hoses, but other than that else will I need to take care of?

I've got a 95 CV LX HPP, and want to upgrade the current deck to a touch screen deck with GPS and all that jazz.

If anybody has any pictures of clean installs that would be fantastic.

Links
#1726186 - 03/27/09 12:02 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kamikazefowler]
kcso Offline

Loc: knoxville TN
I replaced the defrost duct from an 03 CVPI into my 99 HPP. I can now install any double DIN radio. I think this is the only way to do it properly,but then again I'm anal about everything looking and functioning as the factory intended. Not so much for me but should I have to get someone else to work on my car it isn't all botched up. Just my opinion.
Spruce Green w/Tan interior-Upgrades-CVPI roof braces,'bugeye' map light,A/C defrost duct from 03 CV installed along with upgraded AM-FM CD/Cassette.Dunlop G/T Qualifiers 225/60/16. Motorcraft PI shocks on all four corners. 35% tint on side and rear glass. LX Sport floor console,shifter and buckets and
side marker light mod . Click on my sig to see more pics.
"If its worth doing I would rather take the time to do it right"

#1726189 - 03/27/09 12:04 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kcso]
PI Offline
Ryan #1
Grand Poobah

Loc: When it rains, it drizzles
I believe you can also trim the duct as well.

- Ryan # 1

2009 CVPI
Ex Kirkland,WA Police
Dark Blue Metallic/Dark Charcoal interior
Bumper tuck mod
LED CHMSL mod
New OEM 17" Wheelcovers
Ford TripTunes Auxiliary port Input radio kit
Crown Victoria LX Auto-dim review mirror

#1726292 - 03/27/09 02:35 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: PI]
kcso Offline

Originally Posted By: PI
You can trim the duct but then the air flow will flow out the opening more than where it should go e.g. dash or defrost. You can trim it if you want but I would install the upper duct for a more professional install and proper HVAC function.
Spruce Green w/Tan interior-Upgrades-CVPI roof braces,'bugeye' map light,A/C defrost duct from 03 CV installed along with upgraded AM-FM CD/Cassette.Dunlop G/T Qualifiers 225/60/16. Motorcraft PI shocks on all four corners. 35% tint on side and rear glass. LX Sport floor console,shifter and buckets and

#1726300 - 03/27/09 02:50 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kcso]
kamikazefowler Offline
Rookie

Yeah I think I would rather replace it instead of anything else. I'd have to agree with wanting things to function as they did from the factory.

And if I understand correctly (from a couple of other posts) I'll need to cut some of my dash and make some sort of custom trim - anybody else have any good ideas for the trim?

#1726342 - 03/27/09 03:43 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kamikazefowler]
kcso Offline

Originally Posted By: kamikazefowler
Yeah I think I would rather replace it instead of anything else. I'd have to agree with wanting things to function as they did from the factory.

And if I understand correctly (from a couple of other posts) I'll need to cut some of my dash and make some sort of custom trim - anybody else have any good ideas for the trim?
If you have a 95 or newer the radio will fit in the opening wthout having to cut anything, but you will have to change the radio wiring plug to a 98 or newer.

#1726358 - 03/27/09 04:05 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kcso]
kamikazefowler Offline
Rookie

Fantastic. That's better than I had expected. Thanks for the info.

#1726372 - 03/27/09 04:14 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: PI]
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: The perimeter
 Originally Posted By: PI

Don't want to do that.

Use a heat gun to melt/ mold the plastic duct.

#1726394 - 03/27/09 04:31 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kcso]
kegobeer Offline
Climber

Loc: Panama City Beach, FL
 Originally Posted By: kcso

If you have a 95 or newer the radio will fit in the opening wthout having to cut anything, but you will have to change the radio wiring plug to a 98 or newer.

That doesn't work for my 99 MGM, unfortunately. Although width and height will accomodate some double din radios so I don't have to cut any of the trim, the "pocket" just isn't deep enough for the radio. The HVAC gets in the way.

#1726477 - 03/27/09 06:15 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kegobeer]
kamikazefowler Offline
Rookie

Technoweenie, if I use a heat gun to do that, what do I need to do to make sure I don't melt anything that doesn't need to be melted?

#1726520 - 03/27/09 06:58 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kamikazefowler]
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: The perimeter
Technoweenie, if I use a heat gun to do that, what do I need to do to make sure I don't melt anything that doesn't need to be melted?

lowest possible temperature setting to get it to melt, don't start on high then go low, start low, wait a min, go higher, wait a min, etc. You don't want it to melt, just to become pliable. Remove/wrap all wires in the area.

#1726659 - 03/27/09 09:15 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kegobeer]
kcso Offline

Originally Posted By: kegobeer

That doesn't work for my 99 MGM, unfortunately. Although width and height will accomodate some double din radios so I don't have to cut any of the trim, the "pocket" just isn't deep enough for the radio. The HVAC gets in the way.
You still have to use the 03+ defrost duct.

#1726677 - 03/27/09 09:38 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kcso]
kegobeer Offline
Climber

Thanks for the clarification. Do you happen to have a p/n for the duct?

Edited by kegobeer (03/27/09 09:45 PM)

#1726762 - 03/27/09 10:53 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kegobeer]
kcso Offline

Originally Posted By: kegobeer

Thanks for the clarification. Do you happen to have a p/n for the duct?
I don't have a part# because I got mine from a wrecked 03 CVPI but this link has the price, http://www.partswebsite.com/fordonlinepa...123&type=parts, maybe dRock can give more info.

#1726787 - 03/27/09 11:13 PM Re: Putting a double DIN deck into a 1.5DIN space. [Re: kcso]
kegobeer Offline
Climber

Will the CV center duct fit in my GMQ, or should I look for a 2003+ GMQ center duct (or are they the same thing)? FordOnlineParts has both, and they are the same price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
2 registered (RipWixomAssembly, Swirlsound), 104 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!