Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1731493 - 04/01/09 04:54 PM Fuel Tank Removal
CommandPresence Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Granite State
I have a what seems to be pinhole in the tank, but I can't get to it unless I drop the tank. Any tips on doing this as I just have a jack and garage, no lift. The nuts on the straps themselves are pretty high up, what extensions/tools are you guys using to make this easier? Thanks in advance fellas!

Links
#1731754 - 04/01/09 09:37 PM Re: Fuel Tank Removal [Re: CommandPresence]
hlbly Offline

Loc: Knoxville TN
I did the fuel tank replacement on my 97 CVPI. First, you should run the fuel down to 1/8 tank or lower. I then backed the rear wheels on to ramps, the normal kind you buy at an auto parts store.
You will need to uncouple the fuel lines with a special but inexpensive tool available again at most auto parts stores. Then unplug the electrical connector that powers the fuel pump and gauge sender.
I used a 3/8" drive ratchet and I think about an 18" extension to remove the tank strap nuts. The nuts themselves are meytric and I do not remembr the size socket used.
Remove the sheet metal screw holding the filler tube to the tank and the three sheet metal screws holding the filler tube to the left rear fender (under the fuel door). Remove the filler tube and set it aside.
Gently lower the fuel tank. Pour remaining fuel into a suitable container.
I would urge you to replace the fuel pump and the filler tube seal even if they are not giving trouble. It's a good time to do this.
The studs in the cross member to which the tank straps attach are usually broken off short at factory assembly to minimise the risk of puncture in a collision. You may wish to buy new ones from Ford parts to ease re-installation of your new tank. I did not do this, but should have.
There are some lines and valving on top of your tank which can be transferred to your new one.
I may have forgotten something, but this is to the best of my memory. It is a very do-able driveway job with basic hand tools except for the fuel line disconnect tool.

#1732099 - 04/02/09 09:03 AM Re: Fuel Tank Removal [Re: hlbly]
CommandPresence Offline
Over the Hill

Thanks man!

#1732766 - 04/02/09 08:34 PM Re: Fuel Tank Removal [Re: CommandPresence]
CommandPresence Offline
Over the Hill

Well I ended up pulling the tank today, what a b*tch!! Even have a fuel line disconnect tool and it took almost an hour to get one of the lines off! Now have the tank in the garage with some underwater epoxy putty drying on it now, just plan on undercoating it afterwards tomorrow, then slapping the tank back in...lets hope it still works lol.

#1732768 - 04/02/09 08:34 PM Re: Fuel Tank Removal [Re: CommandPresence]
CommandPresence Offline
Over the Hill

Filler tube question...would you guys put the tube in, THEN install the gas tank back? Or would you put in the tank, strap it up, then slide the tube in?

#1733484 - 04/03/09 03:36 PM Re: Fuel Tank Removal [Re: CommandPresence]
CommandPresence Offline
Over the Hill

Question, do these need to be removed and installed into a new tank, or do the new tanks usually come with them installed?

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/Tylercustoms/04-03-09_1447.jpg

Also an answer to my above post would be helpful, about the filler tube. Thankya!

Who's Online
1 registered (akr619), 113 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!