Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1735404 - 04/05/09 05:05 PM best way to have in dash navigation
88fiveoh Offline

Loc: ICT, KS
I have a 99 crown victoria.

Whats the best way to have an indash gps system I would like a Double Din but that HVAC duct is in the way... do the flip out ones hit the dash too much?

Currently the stock radio is in the stock position, but I have a custom box under the dash where the aftermarket radio/cdplayer is installed.

So as another potential option, I saw that Sanco had an alpine deck running to a screen in the factory location. However, I don't wanna cut the dash, but I cant find a double din screen?

What model does sanco use and where can I find a Double Din sized screen?

it hauls ass while sipping gas.

Links
#1735416 - 04/05/09 05:22 PM Re: best way to have in dash navigation [Re: 88fiveoh]
sanco Offline
fo shizzle
Poobah

Loc: chicago, illinois
the reason why i had to cut the dash is because i have a double and a half din screen. my screen is the clarion NICE and its more of a unit than just a screen.

if you get a screen alone (7") its usually a double din size. however you need to ad an external navigation brain in order to operate it. your best bet for the cleanest install is to run a double din all in one receiver and replace the guts from an 03+ crown vic where the ducts are.

the second option (you can see it when you click on the link in my sig on the writeup) is to move the HVAC controlls to a diferent location and buy a flip out screen to install there. its a very clean install that looks great. it will take some work dough.

if you are still stuck on doing what i did, you can buy an alpine screen or a kenwood screan and run their navigation brain. both 7" touch screens are able to fit in the double din oppening and you probably will not have to mess around with the duct work since they are only about inch and a half deep. but this is a VERY expensive route since the navigation brains alone are about $300+

if you dont want to replace the duct work, and if you dont want to cut the dash, get a flip out and do some work the the HVAC controlls.

#1735422 - 04/05/09 05:26 PM Re: best way to have in dash navigation [Re: sanco]
ubervic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Point of no return
I understand Pioneer offers (or offered) factory-sized options for in-dash navigation plus audio. Rough example (although this specific unit may NOT be appropriately sized): http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/In-Dash/AVIC-F500BT

#1735439 - 04/05/09 05:45 PM Re: best way to have in dash navigation [Re: ubervic]
trickvic Offline
Rookie

Loc: West Los Angeles
Most single Din flip-outs hit the lip on the dash. My kenwood kvt-512 did and that is why i moved it to the HVAC slot thanks to Sanco's killer write-up. I was told however that a certain alpine flip out would clear, i cant verify that though.

but my 2 cents, if you do decide to go with the separate screen route. spend a little extra money and get a car computer(~400) + vga touchscreen (~250), GPS units for computers are dirt cheap plus the possibilities are endless to what you can do. Music, wireless internet through your phone, usb OBDII monitor, etc...
- 04 CVPI airbox/80mm MAF

- interceptor center caps, underglo, interior underglo, rear flashers, xenonworks 8000k HID's

- kenwood KVT-512 flip out dvd, 4 Kicker DS680 6x8's, 2 12" Power Akoustic 800W RMS each wired to 2 Ohms, lanzar vibe 1600W RMS 2400 PEAK 2 channel amp, 2 farad cap, 2 alpine type r 6 1/2" speakers in trunk for mid/high's while tailgaiting.

#1735442 - 04/05/09 05:49 PM Re: best way to have in dash navigation [Re: trickvic]
sanco Offline
fo shizzle
Poobah

Loc: chicago, illinois
the alpine screen you are talking about in my opinion looks absolutely HIDEOUS when fully flipped out. in order for it to clear our dash it has to come way out and it just looks really bad!!!

#1735475 - 04/05/09 06:15 PM Re: best way to have in dash navigation [Re: sanco]
suprajte Offline
Climber

Loc: Indiana
like i have mine, you could mount in literally in the dash behind the plastic. you will just have to make something to hold it up.

1995 Toyota Supra
1996 Ninja ZX6
2001 CVPI

2002 Subaru WRX

#1735526 - 04/05/09 07:01 PM Re: best way to have in dash navigation [Re: suprajte]
k9t8m Offline
Climber

Loc: Peoria, Illinoise
Pioneer Avic D3. I have one in my Mark VIII and love it.

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, sanco 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
18 registered (94blckhawaiian, blklxsport, Bulldog5_oh, Chevyguy, Bangster, Chaplian, 4 invisible), 80 Guests and 117 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
KayTar 283
optik 236
CNGInterceptor 217
BigMerc96 209
Ezbok58a 203
road_pizza 186
Moby_Vic 168
ponyguy 161
gplayer 154
jmlock 149
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!