Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1961790 - 01/21/10 08:04 PM Misfire Problems....
CriticalAcclaim0 Offline
Rookie

Loc: Antelope Valley, California
2003 CVPI
108,000 miles..

I took my car (in the pouring rain) to lunch today.
I stopped at a red light, and felt my car shaking. There wasn't a check engine light..
I gave it full-throttle, and the check engine light began flashing. Went back to my work, and the light went off.. but I could still feel it misfiring.
Hooked up our scan-tool, and went for a drive again. I could still feel it misfiring, and once I went full-throttle again, check engine light began flashing and said "Misfire Cyl 1"
I swapped Cylinder 1's coil with Cylinder 2.. drove it again (and again, I could feel it misfiring, but no check engine light until I got on it..) and the misfire moved to cylinder 2.
I ended up replacing that coil pack.. and the misfire that I felt went away.

I drove home from work.. and stopped at a red light for a while. It felt fine until I hit the gas to go.. I could feel it misfiring again. The check engine light started flashing...
I went back to work and hooked up the computer. Check engine light stopped flashing and it didn't feel like it was misfiring at idle..

No codes stored..
I drove home with the scan-tool plugged in to see if anything came up.. check engine light never came on, but I could feel it misfiring every now and then....

Any ideas?
I really don't have the money to be replacing all the coils..... Can't really go that route..

Links
#1961808 - 01/21/10 08:20 PM Re: Misfire Problems.... [Re: CriticalAcclaim0]
CriticalAcclaim0 Offline
Rookie

One thing I just noticed.. on the receipt from Carquest (where I bought the coil today), they put the vehicle down as a CNG model. Is there a difference in coils for CNG models and non-CNG models?

#1961949 - 01/21/10 11:54 PM Re: Misfire Problems.... [Re: CriticalAcclaim0]
irockstar661 Offline

Loc: Cali
Possibly first try changing the coils boots and re-apply dielectric grease. That would be my first start. And I got extra coils if you can narrow it down to which one.

1999 Ford Crown Victoria P71
Under COnstruction
Currenty: NPI 4.6l 2v, Dual Flowmaster 40 Muffs w/ rear cat deletes, Shark"less" Plenum.
Waiting Patiently: PI Heads (currently being machined and fitted with bigger valves and Comp Cams) PI Intake manifold, UD Pulleys, J-Mod, Accufab 75mm TB, MZ and Tune!
1st Annual SoCal SoFun CV Meet!

#1962068 - 01/22/10 08:10 AM Re: Misfire Problems.... [Re: irockstar661]
Michigansquadcar Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Southeast michigan
 Originally Posted By: irockstar661
Possibly first try changing the coils boots and re-apply dielectric grease. That would be my first start. And I got extra coils if you can narrow it down to which one.

X2, the boots/springs cost $3.50-5 each. Replace the remaining 7 and consider doing the plugs at the same time. Then see if the misfire comes back.

#1962381 - 01/22/10 04:54 PM Re: Misfire Problems.... [Re: Michigansquadcar]
watkd Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Tucson, AZ
If possible you may have to replace all coils. Tasca Ford has the MSRP 92.58 coils listed at 45.83 . A few months ago I had my car in for service for a misfire, Ford changed the almost 10 year old spark plugs (quite commendable) and Coils 3 and 4, with a fuel injection flush. The next day I got a skipping sensation and its intermittant with no engine light they hooked some advanced laptop computer to the car to show me that the DPFE and all spark plugs and coils were within spec, I'm changing all the coils shortly.

#1962508 - 01/22/10 07:08 PM Re: Misfire Problems.... [Re: watkd]
CriticalAcclaim0 Offline
Rookie

Well, I finally got a check engine light.. another coil had failed. Replaced it.. and a mechanic at the department I work at recommend I replaced the spark plugs back to Motorcraft Platinum (The person who had previously owned it put in Autolite Double Platinum).

Let the car idle for a half hour and drove it home.. no problems since. Hopefully there isn't anymore to go out.. can't afford to do the rest right now! haha..

Originally Posted By: Michigansquadcar
 Originally Posted By: irockstar661

X2, the boots/springs cost $3.50-5 each. Replace the remaining 7 and consider doing the plugs at the same time. Then see if the misfire comes back.

Where can you buy them at??

#1962797 - 01/23/10 02:19 AM Re: Misfire Problems.... [Re: CriticalAcclaim0]
Tracy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Kewaskum, WI, USA
You can buy the boots/springs at any auto parts store. I bought my at autozone, along with 2 coils when I had my miss.

Autozone also stocks the Motorcraft plugs.

Download your Owner's Manual FREE from the Ford Owner's Site

#1964209 - 01/24/10 11:53 PM Re: Misfire Problems.... [Re: CriticalAcclaim0]
irockstar661 Offline

Loc: Cali
yep autozone has them. also dont forget i have extra coils

1999 Ford Crown Victoria P71
Under COnstruction
Currenty: NPI 4.6l 2v, Dual Flowmaster 40 Muffs w/ rear cat deletes, Shark"less" Plenum.
Waiting Patiently: PI Heads (currently being machined and fitted with bigger valves and Comp Cams) PI Intake manifold, UD Pulleys, J-Mod, Accufab 75mm TB, MZ and Tune!
1st Annual SoCal SoFun CV Meet!

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
13 registered (defflepp1, AWE_Alex, dr1, DES, bugmenot, Chaplian, 2 invisible), 54 Guests and 143 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
KayTar 309
optik 242
CNGInterceptor 221
Ezbok58a 212
road_pizza 207
BigMerc96 203
Moby_Vic 190
ponyguy 176
gplayer 159
BlackVic_P71 152
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!