Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1979233 - 02/13/10 07:12 PM Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio
weatherman Offline
n00b

Loc: california
I own a 2005 P71 that was once an unmarked white CHP commercial enforcement vehicle. It has a roof mounted antenna and an antenna mounted on the rear right quarter panel for Citizen's Band.

One of the reasons I bought the car was to install a 4 band Amateur radio which could use the roof mounted antenna for the high bands and the rear quarter panel antenna for 10 meters.

I am interested particularly in accessing the roof mounted antenna in order to retrofit it with a 220, 440, 2 meter antenna. It looks like access might be possible through the interior dome light fixture. I don't really want to tear up the headliner.

Has anyone ever undertaken a project such as this that might be able to shed some insight into how it might be done?

Thanks

KB6AJ Amateur Extra

Links
#1979244 - 02/13/10 07:26 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: weatherman]
DavidVT Offline
Climber

Loc: VT
I don't know if this will help, but I noticed my 03P71 headliner was made to come out easily. I imagine this is to support the various roof mounted options that can be installed on a cruiser.
Do you need to change the mount on the roof or are you just trying to find the coax? My antennas were removed and the holes duct taped over when I bought it. I did find the coax came out in the trunk over the rear axle.
Good luck

2004 CVPI VSP my daily driver
2003 CVPI VSP (SOLD)
1999 2500 4x4 CTD RAM: Jan14 lost the injector pump frown

#1979251 - 02/13/10 07:35 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: DavidVT]
weatherman Offline
n00b

Thanks for the information. I will check trunk for wires. The radio I'm looking at can be mounted in the trunk and the control head, which is on a 20 foot cable can be mounted in the forward cabin. If the cables are already there, that would be sweet!

Thanks again

#1979314 - 02/13/10 08:41 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: weatherman]
Hypnotoad Offline

Loc: Birchwood,TN
lol wat,how do you expect to get that kind of wideband performance(TX wise) from a single antenna?

I've seen 2m/70cm antennas,but personally,I don't trust them. It is also for commercial(155'ish/450) stuff.

And I took the cap off of mine on the roof,took a semi-stiff wire,taped it to the end of my coax,and got it to come down where the back seat belts are.

You can then run it to the front underneath the carpet or through the ducts for wiring near the doors,or just run it straight into the trunk area.

Then just finished up the NMO mount from the rooftoop.

These cars have quite a few handy "tunnels" for extra wiring \:\)

2000 CVPI,145K miles.

#1979327 - 02/13/10 08:56 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: Hypnotoad]
flyboy Offline
Ret US Army Medic
Poobah

Loc: Chillicothe, Mo
FYI the antenna on the right rear 1/4 panel is where Ford mounted the antenna for the vehicle radio, that was the only year it was mounted there. Before you spend a lot of money on stuff you aren't sure of, contact a Ham radio operator & have him/her advise you on the proper antenna & radios to use. I have been using CB radios since 1970 & have many friends that are ham operators, which requires a FCC license. Just some advice before you throw away money on "I think this will work or that guy on the corner told me it would work".

#1979364 - 02/13/10 09:49 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: flyboy]
Hypnotoad Offline

Loc: Birchwood,TN
Uhhh,flyboy...if you missed it,he is a HAM.

I am pretty sure he isn't referring to the normal antenna for AM/FM radio,most HWP vehicles around here take a ball mount and use it on the right rear quarter panel for some of the larger 1/4 wave whips,one guy even has a 105" on his. Looks ridiculous,mind you. I guess it works,but I would see ground plane problems. Maybe just me,but I think having it near the center of the vehicle where the car makes more of an inverted V makes more sense,but hey,what do I know?

2000 CVPI,145K miles.

#1979441 - 02/13/10 10:45 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: Hypnotoad]
weatherman Offline
n00b

When I logged on here, which is seldom...
I deferred my questions to the experts on the Crown Victoria and whether or not anyone had experience accessing the cabling/routing to the roof mount antenna.

I pretty much got that answered in the first reply.

I renewed my Extra Class license several years ago for the second time. I'm well aware of the problems involved in mismatches, antenna theory, ground planes... etc. In fact I designed my own antennas back in the day before they came in a box.

To answer one reply... you can use more than one antenna by using a multiplexer.

Thanx for your help guys.

#1979473 - 02/13/10 11:19 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: weatherman]
OldPaint Offline

Loc: California
Weatherman,
I assume your car has the ASP ball mount on the passenger side fender? The used cars I saw @ the CHP lot in Carson just had the coax cut off at the mount itself. The roof-mounted NMO had the coax run down to the trunk, where the radio chassis were mounted on the shelf where the spare tire is. Usually they cut off the coax and stuffed it back up behind the trunk liner/carpet material.

Check here for pics (including a car like yours)
CHP radio history

#1979686 - 02/14/10 08:56 AM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: weatherman]
Bull Offline
Contract Cleaner
Over the Hill

Loc: Dayton Ohio
 Originally Posted By: weatherman
I own a 2005 P71 that was once an unmarked white CHP commercial enforcement vehicle. It has a roof mounted antenna and an antenna mounted on the rear right quarter panel for Citizen's Band.

One of the reasons I bought the car was to install a 4 band Amateur radio which could use the roof mounted antenna for the high bands and the rear quarter panel antenna for 10 meters.

I am interested particularly in accessing the roof mounted antenna in order to retrofit it with a 220, 440, 2 meter antenna. It looks like access might be possible through the interior dome light fixture. I don't really want to tear up the headliner.

Has anyone ever undertaken a project such as this that might be able to shed some insight into how it might be done?

Thanks

KB6AJ Amateur Extra

The roof mount is most likely a NMO mount, if they pulled the whole mount, then replacement would be simple.

Remove the rear sear coat hook (1 phillips head screw) on the side you want to run your wires down, I use the passenger side to pull all my wires FWIW.

Once the hook is removed, you can use the handle of a large screwdriver between the headliner and roof to gain enough access to get hold of your coax, then fish it to your RF deck.

If the mount is there, find the other end inside the car and use it as a pull wire for your new coax. FWIW, I never re-use coax on a build, I generally abandon it on a strip out.

Power & ground can be obtained under the passenger side of your dash board.

I would assume that your going to use a ball mount for the 10 meter on the rear quarter, that would be self explanatory on the install and cable fitment.

#1979802 - 02/14/10 12:28 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: OldPaint]
weatherman Offline
n00b

Thanks for your help... pointing me in the right direction, and the awesome link.

#1979807 - 02/14/10 12:31 PM Re: Roof Top Antenna mounts/HAM Radio [Re: Bull]
weatherman Offline
n00b

Thanks for the specifics I really appreciate it. Time to get to work!

Cheers!

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, sanco 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
15 registered (Chaplian, BlackVic_P71, Chicago2VP71, Interim, Mest30, 2 invisible), 74 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ezbok58a 237
124neta 203
KayTar 181
BigMerc96 160
a_d_a_m 156
road_pizza 152
BigNSlow 150
aknox077 113
BlackVic_P71 102
2004_p71 99
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!