Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1984862 - 02/21/10 02:37 PM EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate?
Cokedoctor Offline

Loc: Pembroke/Akron, NY
I've been noticing for the past week or so, my EATC display has been consistently reading 10 degrees WARMER than it really is outside. Anybody have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Yes, I've checked it with a normal thermometer to make sure. It's definitely displaying the wrong temperature.
'95 Dodge Neon ACR NYG Coupe - 2.4L Swapped
'86 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Restoring
'13 Dodge Dart Limited 1.4T - 6-Speed Manual

Links
#1984959 - 02/21/10 05:31 PM Re: EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate? [Re: Cokedoctor]
kyle91LTDcv Offline
Climber

Loc: Jersey Shore, PA
doesnt it get its reading from the IAT (intake air temp)? its located under the hood in the MAF assembly i believe. Temperatures under the hood are consistently 10+ degrees warmer that the actual outside temp. (unless youre going really fast. lol)

#1985008 - 02/21/10 06:40 PM Re: EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate? [Re: kyle91LTDcv]
Cokedoctor Offline

I don't think your correct on that. If that was the case, everybody would be getting false readings. Besides, even on a cold start up, it's still off 10 degrees right from the start. It doesn't gradually go off calibration as the motor warms up.

Help \:\(

#1985146 - 02/21/10 10:12 PM Re: EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate? [Re: Cokedoctor]
enslow Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Vancouver
EATC gets its temperature from a sensor under the header panel near the crash sensors. There are two of them, one for the EATC, and one to get ambient temperature for the transmission I think.

A higher than normal temperature suggests to me the sensor is not reading correctly (coated with dirt?) or the circuit is shorting somewhere. Lower than normal temperature readings suggest an open circuit.

My first approach would be to remove the sensors and give them a good cleaning. Road grease and muck would act as an insulator and not allow the outside air to 'cool' the sensor properly, hence it will read high.

If that doesn't work, try each of the following:

1. pull the cluster fuse (#5?) for 30 seconds with the key in 'run', then replace the fuse and check temperature.

2. Disconnect sensor, key to run, pull fuse for 30 seconds then replace. Leave sensor unplugged. If T is -40F, electronic cluster and wiring to the cluster are good. If not, you will have to pull the cluster and check wiring. I found bad solder joints in mine.

3. If #2 = -40F, check resistance of sensor. Should be 33-47 kohms.
Stalag's Coolant Write-up

Enslow ...graemlin waving canadian flag...
'92 Grand Marquis, M75

#1985156 - 02/21/10 10:19 PM Re: EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate? [Re: enslow]
enslow Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Vancouver
FYI,

the cluster usually remembers the previous temperature, unless the ambient temperature is cooler (I think). If you stop the car when it is 65F, then restart the car when it is 70F, I think it will read 65F and gradually climb to 70F. If the temperature drops instead (to 60F), it will read 60F. Again, I think that's how it works.
Stalag's Coolant Write-up

Enslow ...graemlin waving canadian flag...
'92 Grand Marquis, M75

#1985173 - 02/21/10 10:35 PM Re: EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate? [Re: enslow]
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Bowling Green, OH
There should only be one sensor on the Whale bodies. It is located infront of the transmission cooler. I had mine take a dump on me a few months ago. Was reading 70 to 80 degrees when it was 10-20 outside which made the EATC engage A/C when heater should be on which can be overridden by setting the temp to it's max (90) and controlling fan speed manually.

In the case of mine, it was a bad sensor. I tried cleaning the terminals and applying some dielectric grease to keep moisture out but had no change. I got a replacement at NAPA for $16 and works well. My only complaint is it reads 2*F than actual ambient temp consistently. Not a huge deal, so I just know to compensate for that.
> CVPI Dual Exhaust / Rear Bumper Tuck / BH1976 Headlight Relay Harness / Transmission Failed & Rebuilt @ 44k Miles
Selling: 28-Spline Carrier / 2.73 & 3.27 Gears

#1985308 - 02/22/10 07:04 AM Re: EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate? [Re: BlueFusion]
Blue95 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Past the Horizon
^^+1, when the temp sensor started failing I was getting strange outside temp readings and the A/C started doing weird stuff. Didn't even mess with the old one, got a new one and all was good.

1995 P71-SOLD
2002 HPP-SOLD
badgeless grille-tinted tails-Hrbacek whiteface gauges-Pioneer spkrs-12" sub-reworked tranny internals-Sonnax/jmod upgrades-ceramic pads-urethane swaybar bushings-new timing chains/guides/tensioners-Granatelli plenum-75mmTB-MZT-NGKTR6 plugs-180d thermo-Steeda UD's-BOC 93tune-Thrush mufflers-LED interior/door puddle lights-Projector HID retrofit-MM corners-LED signal mirrors-17x8 TorqThrust wheels-235/55/17 Contental ExtremeContact DWS tires
2003 LX Sport-SOLD Hrbacek whiteface gauges-Pioneer spkrs-12"sub-reworked tranny internals-Sonnax/jmod upgrades-urethane swaybar bushings-Thrush mufflers-ceramic pads-Steeda UDs-LED interior/trunk/door lights-rebuilt 3.27 axle
Current = 2011 Silverado, time for a change

#1985360 - 02/22/10 09:11 AM Re: EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate? [Re: Blue95]
Cokedoctor Offline

Hmmm...lots of good info in here. I will definitely try all of the above suggestions and see if it helps anything. Does anybody have a picture of where this sensor is located?

#1985369 - 02/22/10 09:23 AM Re: EATC Outside Temperature Inaccurate? [Re: Cokedoctor]
larryo340 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Long Island
External Temperature Display

When the ignition is first turned ON, the external temperature displayed will be the last temperature read before the ignition was turned OFF. If the last temperature read is below 2C (35F), the EATC module will prevent A/C operation.

The external temperature display will update when the vehicle has been driven above 40 kph (25 mph) for greater than 30 seconds. Once the EATC module updates the external temperature, the EATC module will allow normal A/C operation.

On my '98 the ambient temperature sensor is by the red arrow, it should be very similiar in yours.

MOD List for MGM
...Marquis sold frown

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, sanco 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
7 registered (bluviclx98, Crown98, a_d_a_m, pbawesome, Chaplian, 2007CrownVic), 29 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Moby_Vic 211
BigMerc96 156
ponyguy 152
Ezbok58a 139
Benno 129
road_pizza 115
73vwTodd 106
a_d_a_m 102
BlackVic_P71 95
JeffBoudah 95
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!