Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2010587 - 03/26/10 12:42 AM Legal question... Can you get a CDL with a felony?
LimitedStreet Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Reading,MA
Well.. I don't know where to ask this, and it seems like there's a good amount of truckers as well as LEO's on here so here goes. More or less, I'm wondering if someone with a Felony conviction can still obtain a CDL? In Mass. particularly, since that's technically my residence. I realize that likely not many trucking companies would hire me, but that isn't what I want a CDL for anyways.

No, I don't have a felony conviction, yet, a case is still pending but I'd like to find out if I can still get a CDL if I do wind up with a felony on my record.

Thanks for any help in advance

Links
#2010592 - 03/26/10 12:47 AM Re: Legal question... Can you get a CDL with a felony? [Re: LimitedStreet]
AWE_Alex Offline
Poobah

Loc: Leaving your mom's driveway
A CDL endorsement has no bearing on a criminal record, with exception to the fact that your license status, IE, if you have a suspended license, you can't get the endorsement.

Now, obtaining employment with said felony on your record, however...that might be a little more difficult.

2000 CVPI, GoRhino! 5038, glasspacks, 2012 Dodge Charge SE 17"s SOLD!
2004 Ford Explorer XLT, stock
Vehicle lighting covered by FL 316.2397(3)
Originally Posted By: 124neta
Its because you haven't come to terms with the fact that you actually want to see that throbber.

#2010689 - 03/26/10 07:02 AM Re: Legal question... Can you get a CDL with a felony? [Re: AWE_Alex]
PeterB16 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Virgo ...
you can get a CDL, but getting a job using it while having a felony might be a problem. But, it does depend on the felony charge. If it is a theft felony, you wont get a job. If it is murder or harm to a person, you wont get a job. If it is something else, you have a good chance.
2000 former Arkansas Highway Patrol #152, 1999 ARA3 & MAF installed, 180k miles, Gatorback, new headlights, Honeycomb grille, 05 Mustang GT Wheels, Custom CAI, P&P ADTR Plenum.

#2010695 - 03/26/10 07:39 AM Re: Legal question... Can you get a CDL with a felony? [Re: PeterB16]
PeeSeventyOne Offline
Poobah

Loc: So Cal, U.S.. Earth, Milky Way
That's a good question... I just took the C.D.L. w/hazmat & tank endorsements test (passed) and didn't recall reading anything regarding felonies in the book. I'll have to consult a few of my long time truck driving friends and get back with you.

2000 C.V.P.I. Deep Wedgewood Blue S.A.P. Ex-L.A.P.D. Unmarked Car. P.O.T.M. Feb. 2011
Proud member of the imaginary S.A.P. Group. You don't see us due to our street appearance.
Originally Posted By: Rizzo
I know I'm a faster eater, cuz I got my tooth chipped.

#2010701 - 03/26/10 08:00 AM Re: Legal question... Can you get a CDL with a felony? [Re: PeeSeventyOne]
Dark_Knight7096 Offline
Climber

Loc: Hamilton/Trenton, NJ
You can get a CDL with a felony, but you cannot get a Hazmat endorsement with one. And you will also be very hard pressed finding a company willing to hire, the companies that do are usually all OTR as well because they understand you really don't have a choice.

<----- works for NJDOL and this situation pops up at least 2x a week for me.

#2010821 - 03/26/10 11:19 AM Re: Legal question... Can you get a CDL with a felony? [Re: Dark_Knight7096]
LimitedStreet Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Reading,MA
Thanks guys! That's what I was looking for.

Now I just need to figure out how much race gas I can carry legally without a hazmat endorsement if I can't get one, I'm guessing I wont be able to carry much but that's alright, I can usually get it at the track anyways.

Thanks for the help again!

#2010974 - 03/26/10 03:26 PM Re: Legal question... Can you get a CDL with a fel [Re: LimitedStreet]
PeeSeventyOne Offline
Poobah

Loc: So Cal, U.S.. Earth, Milky Way
If your vehicle is placarded, or you're transporting over a certain amount of gallons, you'll need a hazmat and/or a tank endorsement. Check your state laws if you're not sure and good luck.

2000 C.V.P.I. Deep Wedgewood Blue S.A.P. Ex-L.A.P.D. Unmarked Car. P.O.T.M. Feb. 2011
Proud member of the imaginary S.A.P. Group. You don't see us due to our street appearance.
Originally Posted By: Rizzo
I know I'm a faster eater, cuz I got my tooth chipped.

#2011001 - 03/26/10 04:00 PM Re: Legal question... Can you get a CDL with a fel [Re: PeeSeventyOne]
flyboy Offline
Ret US Army Medic
Poobah

Loc: Chillicothe, Mo
I carried a CDL, class "B" with a passenger endorsement in NJ for 4 years. I was also the trainer for the bus drivers. In NJ the answer is NO. Never had a class "A"but trained a ex over the road trucker who was a owner/operator & he stated the same & that a clean record is required for a CDL.

Moderator:  Liquid, Ryan, The_Punisher 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
8 registered (HiFiMerc, Chevyguy, DudeAbides, 81ltdcrownvic, gizmopup1, 2 invisible), 82 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Moby_Vic 211
BigMerc96 161
ponyguy 154
Ezbok58a 141
Benno 129
road_pizza 125
a_d_a_m 107
73vwTodd 106
BlackVic_P71 96
JeffBoudah 96
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!