Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2131978 - 09/03/10 03:56 PM air ride questions?
defflepp1 Online   content

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
ok so ive been having some problems with RAS in my 92cv and have some questions about it. first, would a leaking air spring cause the "check air suspension" light to come on? what are some signs of bad air springs other than obviously not holding air? and would old or bad air springs cause it to have a very bouncy ride or would that more be the shocks? thanks for any help with these questions \:\)

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 99,000 miles
DONE:K&N FIPK, 75MM throttle body, Infinity Kappa 5X7 all around, Infinity amp, Polk 12" sub in sealed box, Marauder headlights, Marauder corners
TO DO:Stainless works full exhaust, New suspension, and hopefully much more...

Links
#2132040 - 09/03/10 05:07 PM Re: air ride questions? [Re: defflepp1]
larryo340 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Long Island
A leaking solenoid on an air spring may cause the light to come on as well as rear height sensor or compressor issues.

The most common symptom with "bad" or worn air springs is that the rear end drops all the way when parked, and may or may not come back up to ride height when the car is started. If the rear end stays down and will not pump up turn off the switch in the trunk or risk damaging the compressor, it's not made to be running constantly.

Also if you have more of a bouncy ride than usual you are correct in that the shocks are shot.

MOD List for MGM
...Marquis sold frown

#2132196 - 09/03/10 09:28 PM Re: air ride questions? [Re: larryo340]

ok so how would i go about testing the solenoid or height sensor? and yes the back does drop while parked but it will come back up. also the drivers side always seem to be a bit lower than the passenger side, bad air spring? right now im still thinking about saving the air ride do you think this is a good idea?

DONE:K&N FIPK, 75MM throttle body, Infinity Kappa 5X7 all around, Infinity amp, Polk 12" sub in sealed box, Marauder headlights, Marauder corners

#2132212 - 09/03/10 09:45 PM Re: air ride questions? [Re: defflepp1]
larryo340 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Long Island
There is no way to test the system electronis without the Ford scan tool.

Does the rear drop all the way down when it's parked and does it happen quickly or does it have to be parked for awhile?

You visually check the condition of the air springs by checking the bottom of the rubber air spring right at where it sits on the hard plastic base, and worn bags will have vertical cracks. The bags will start to crack in normal use so some cracking is normal, but if there's alot then they would be suspect. Check the springs with the engine running and on the ground so you can see under there with a flashlight.

MOD List for MGM
...Marquis sold frown

#2132277 - 09/03/10 11:29 PM Re: air ride questions? [Re: defflepp1]
03RedVicSport Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Central NY
 Originally Posted By: defflepp1
ok so how would i go about testing the solenoid or height sensor? and yes the back does drop while parked but it will come back up. also the drivers side always seem to be a bit lower than the passenger side, bad air spring? right now im still thinking about saving the air ride do you think this is a good idea?

With all due respect to thise here that are in LOVE with the RAS on Ford vehicles, my best advice is to replace the whole works with REAL springs. Real springs never leak.

I've been thru this rigamarole with my Loncoln Mark VIII as well as my 03 Vic, and for my peace of mind, I'd never toss major money at these systems. They're OK for the first few years, but once the various components start going bad you'll be fiddling with them in one way or another as an ongoing commitment.

Like I said... I've never seen a real spring with a leak.

#2132364 - 09/04/10 06:35 AM Re: air ride questions? [Re: 03RedVicSport]
AACoPD05 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Maryland
If your compressor is working then the first suspect would be the springs. How old are they? Springs are an easy enough fix and new and use springs are on ebay all the time. A few years ago I converted to air ride from coil spring (many folk go the other way) and I've loved it since day one. I'll NEVER go back to coil springs and I think you will be disappointed if you switch to the less hassle way. I installed all used components and have had zero problems. If your getting a check suspension light and your car falls to the ground when parked I would put money on the springs. If the compressor can't achieve trim height in 45 seconds after start the compressor with turn off and trigger the check suspension light. As suggested crawl under with a flash light and check your springs. One good way is to turn off the switch and jack one side at a time up by the frame and check each side individually. With the spring fully extended you will be able to get a better picture of what condition your springs are in. Keep us posted.

2011 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Two tone blue.

#2132374 - 09/04/10 07:58 AM Re: air ride questions? [Re: AACoPD05]
KBX500 Offline

Loc: Pacific, Mo.

Here are a few links regarding Rear Air Suspension that will help you decide what to do. If you read it all you'll have all the info needed to diagnose and repair your RAS.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1709943#Post1709943

http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/RAS.htm

Arnott Industries can supply many of the parts you might need
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_FORD_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid1_pid9.html

Keith
1985 Crown Vic - RIP

#2132431 - 09/04/10 10:23 AM Re: air ride questions? [Re: 03RedVicSport]

thanks for all the advice guys, at this point im probably going to just put new air springs in it but im not sure all what i should be getting? and 03redvicsport i know exactly where your coming from i just sold a 94 Mark VIII that i had to convert to coils cause air ride went to pot and it was an expensive pain the ass to fix

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
15 registered (Chicago2VP71, Chrono, dmcdfreak, 73vwTodd, defflepp1, 1 invisible), 59 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Chicago2VP71 326
Ezbok58a 173
BigMerc96 151
KayTar 141
BlackVic_P71 134
121ak 116
road_pizza 106
aknox077 102
Bangster 100
BigNSlow 98
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!