Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2180924 - 11/13/10 02:41 PM AC blows hot
LSpann601 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Jackson, Mississippi
I have a friend with an 05 cvpi for some reason today the ac started to blow hot. We got out popped the hood the compressor was spinning and the ac lines were cold. We looked under the glovebox when we turned on the ac u see the actuator move and the opened part of the black box closes and u see some foam material.

Message sent via BLackberry
Mods: Bench Seats | 02 Crown Victoria P71 Steering Gear | Dorman NPI Intake Manifold | PI Coolant Tube | Mechanical Cooling Fan | 98-00 CV Electric High Speed Fan Swap | Flowmaster 40s | 97 Lincoln Town Car Transmission | Suspension Fully Rebuilt
2006 Crown Victoria P71 OLD MS Highway Patrol Car (Wrecked)
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis GS (Wifes Car)
2008 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor OLD NPS Park Ranger Car | Variable Ratio Rack and Pinion Steering (Without Variable Assist Steering) | 17" Wheel Covers | Rubber Floor
1981 Chevy Monte Carlo 305ci/700r4 (sbc 408 build in progess)

Links
#2181367 - 11/14/10 02:29 AM Re: AC blows hot [Re: LSpann601]
beast50 Offline

Loc: Bloomington Illinois USA
Is your temperature selector switched to cool(blue)? Probably an obvious question but it just dropped 30 degrees where I am at in 24 hours, so could have done the opposite down there in Mississippi

1988 Cougar XR-7 5.0 HO, Still speed density
16" Riken black basketweaves

#2181380 - 11/14/10 03:16 AM Re: AC blows hot [Re: beast50]
Tracy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Kewaskum, WI, USA
By chace were you going WOT??
I know the P71 has a WOT A/C cutout and have noticed it before on my 99.

When it started blowing hot, was it just turned on from sitting for awhile & the interior of the car warm or was it blowing cold air, then switched to hot??

Maybe check the owner's manual for the location of the a/c relay, maybe it went bad on you.

Download your Owner's Manual FREE from the Ford Owner's Site

#2181410 - 11/14/10 06:50 AM Re: AC blows hot [Re: LSpann601]
FASTERNU Offline

Most likely the blend door has failed. If the vehicle has Electronic Auto Temp Control you can use the controls to run a self test. Press Off and Floor at the same time then quickly
press Auto. A chart explaining the codes can be found here.
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number...
If you have the manual controls you will have to have a shop do
a test.
Replacing the blend doo requires removing the dash, while you are there replace the heater core also.
Figure $450 for labor, $250 for parts. Cost can vary depending on local labor rates.

#2181415 - 11/14/10 07:22 AM Re: AC blows hot [Re: LSpann601]
Jrr Offline
Rookie

Loc: FL
 Originally Posted By: LSpann601
I have a friend with an 05 cvpi for some reason today the ac started to blow hot. We got out popped the hood the compressor was spinning and the ac lines were cold. We looked under the glovebox when we turned on the ac u see the actuator move and the opened part of the black box closes and u see some foam material.

Message sent via BLackberry

As stated above, your diagnosis hints to a problem with the blend door assembly.
The most failure prone part in the blend door assembly is the actuator. Here is a link to a technical writeup that describes the process of Replacing it. The car in the article is a Town Car but the article should still be somewhat helpfull.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00175.html

#2183322 - 11/17/10 11:09 AM Re: AC blows hot [Re: Jrr]
xtcbct Offline
Rookie

Loc: Northeast
Had a similar issue to this with a Ford Windstar van, except it was the opposite. Heat wouldn't work, only got cold air. Turns out the blower motor had to be replaced. Now hot/cold works good.

Xian

2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona Edition
Mods:
Front Blinker Mod, Elite22 Console cover, Side Body Molding delete, BWoody Sway Bar End Links

2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX
Alpine SPR-57C Speakers, Alpine PDX4.100 AMP, JVC KW-NT3HDT

#2303662 - 05/26/11 07:29 PM Re: AC blows hot [Re: LSpann601]
sbarlow87 Offline
n00b

Loc: greenfield, Ma
Same prob here!! worked last fall, tried it this spring and only blows hot air. the pump engages and stays engaged tried putting another can of 134a and it was purging it out so i had some evacuated so it wasnt overfull but still nothing. the lines under the hood get nice and cold when running it for a while and it doesnt matter whether its ac or max ac only hot hot air. any pointers would be great folks. LSPAN601 if you find a solution throw me a message or post it on here, sounds like we have the same prob

#2303822 - 05/26/11 11:20 PM Re: AC blows hot [Re: sbarlow87]
NCHeel Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Charlotte NC
Originally Posted By: sbarlow87
Same prob here!! worked last fall, tried it this spring and only blows hot air. the pump engages and stays engaged tried putting another can of 134a and it was purging it out so i had some evacuated so it wasnt overfull but still nothing. the lines under the hood get nice and cold when running it for a while and it doesnt matter whether its ac or max ac only hot hot air. any pointers would be great folks. LSPAN601 if you find a solution throw me a message or post it on here, sounds like we have the same prob
It is the blend door. You have a heater core and the ac evaporator. The door opens one side or the other depending if you need hot or cold. It is stuck on the hot side. If the low side line is getting cold then the refrigerant is cycling through the system. Some people do not realize that hot pressurized gas is being pumped into the car condenser where it looses enough heat to become a hot pressurized liquid. This is your high side. It is then pumped toward the orifice tube which allows it to expand into a cold low pressure gas. It then goes through the evaporator where it absorbs the heat from the cars interior. Lastly it travels back to the compressor as a low pressure cold gas and starts the cycle over. This diagram explains it.

Edited by NCHeel (05/26/11 11:35 PM)

#2306652 - 06/01/11 07:31 AM Re: AC blows hot [Re: LSpann601]
sbarlow87 Offline
n00b

Loc: greenfield, Ma
Thanks ncheel, that was my problem. I ended up takinggout the corner screw on the actuator and removing the.black plastic buckle that controls the rod and moved it untill ac was blowing ice cold. I guess ill have my hand up in the dash once winter hits but its way cheaper than ripping the darn dash apart. I can't believe a 2006 would already have a worn out actuator....

#2306812 - 06/01/11 01:45 PM Re: AC blows hot [Re: LSpann601]
LSpann601 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Jackson, Mississippi
i fixed my ac problem...the a/c relay was dirty and not making contact with the terminals
Mods: Bench Seats | 02 Crown Victoria P71 Steering Gear | Dorman NPI Intake Manifold | PI Coolant Tube | Mechanical Cooling Fan | 98-00 CV Electric High Speed Fan Swap | Flowmaster 40s | 97 Lincoln Town Car Transmission | Suspension Fully Rebuilt
2006 Crown Victoria P71 OLD MS Highway Patrol Car (Wrecked)
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis GS (Wifes Car)
2008 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor OLD NPS Park Ranger Car | Variable Ratio Rack and Pinion Steering (Without Variable Assist Steering) | 17" Wheel Covers | Rubber Floor
1981 Chevy Monte Carlo 305ci/700r4 (sbc 408 build in progess)

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, sanco 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
16 registered (Chaplian, daedal_arcanum, BlaineB, aknox077, Chevyguy, 2 invisible), 64 Guests and 134 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
KayTar 251
optik 234
CNGInterceptor 215
BigMerc96 199
road_pizza 195
Ezbok58a 192
Moby_Vic 163
ponyguy 162
BlackVic_P71 147
Black_Sunshine 145
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!