Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2177516 - 11/08/10 06:39 AM Losing coolant
hlbly Offline

Loc: Knoxville TN
Friends, I hav an unusual problem with my 1997 CVPI with 182.5k.
After I moved the car from my garage after a few moths of being parked, to check anti-freeze, I found the overflow tank completely dry. I added coolant to the full mark and ran the engine until warmed.
Last week, I drove the car to Virginia (about 300 miles. Again, the tank was bone dry and required more coolant to fill. These observatons:
1. Temp gauge is completely in normal range.
2. Car has never overheated during my ownership (80k).
3. No coolant odour in passenger compartment.
4. No obvious leaks in pass compartment or engine bay. Engine still has plastic intake manifold but intake valley is completely dry.
5. Heater output is very cool and temp control setting makes no difference.
I have always felt fairly capable of fixing anything on my car, but I'm stumped on this one. Any suggestions of where to begin?

Links
#2177552 - 11/08/10 08:08 AM Re: Losing coolant [Re: hlbly]
stalag Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Columbus, OH
Head gasket may have failed.

Stalag
On my LTC the following mods/upgrades were added. Heinous motorsport control arms, Command Automotive SD-1 rotors, Calipers by Goldlinebrakes.com in silver with Hawk HPS pads, MSD COP's. MZT is also applied with programming from BOC. j-mod is now done. Final rebuild of transmission done by Gearstar.

#2177697 - 11/08/10 02:22 PM Re: Losing coolant [Re: stalag]
BigMerc96 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I wouldn't jump right to head gasket just yet. the heater is cool because the coolant is low, now the question is where is the coolant going.

There are many places coolant can leak, radiator, hoses, heater core, intake manifold, and of course, the head gaskets. I would highly suspect that manifold if it is still the all plastic one and it has never been changed before. The two most common places for them to leak is around the thermostat, and around the heater hose fitting.

at that age and mileage, I'd also suspect that the radiator hoses are probably in need of replacing, along with the hoses that run to the heater core. I could also be the heater core its self, but you say you don't smell coolant in the cabin.

Pull your plug wires and make sure the boots and plug-wells are dry, when the manifolds crack, they like to fill the spark-plug wells with coolant, especially numbers 4 and 5.

If it were a head gasket, you would likely have coolant/oil mixing, and/or white, sweet smelling exhaust smoke.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~107k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
I've read a lot of threads on CVN, and this one is probably the worst.

#2178294 - 11/09/10 11:30 AM Re: Losing coolant [Re: BigMerc96]
hlbly Offline

Thanks, a comperhensive diagnosis is scheduled for next week and I'll share the reaults on this thread.

#2178297 - 11/09/10 11:41 AM Re: Losing coolant [Re: hlbly]
Mileaway Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: Sacto. Calif.
chck the heater hoses & connections.

Little Anthony: That's all the television there is.

#2178777 - 11/10/10 06:47 AM Re: Losing coolant [Re: Mileaway]
White Falcon LS Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: 29.257 N, 48.057 E
As stupid as it sounds, have you checked the radiator cap? I had a very similar problem, where 3/4 of the reservoir would be empty after every drive. If I didn't add coolant, it would be bone dry the next day. Did a pressure test, and there were no leaks so I replaced the cap with an RS-527, and that solved the issue. But about four days later, I had a leaky intake manifold gasket, in one of the coolant passages, which would leak coolant into the intake valley.

Would be good insurance to replace the manifold, heater core hoses, radiator hoses and that hose that runs from the back of the water pump. Silicone hoses are a good investment I would say.

One of 114,810 Grand Marquis Exported in 2001
In Memory of Ned Nuss, Rick Richardson and Matt (2vmodular)

#2196285 - 12/09/10 09:39 AM Re: Losing coolant [Re: White Falcon LS]
hlbly Offline

Coolant loss apparently was leaking intake manifold gaskets. We decided to replace the all-plastic mnifold with the new type (aluminum cross-over) since the manifold had to come off anyway.
Heater problem appears to be blend door actuator.

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
11 registered (86k10, dirtypoptart, Geoman, filthyboatguy, 1 Adam 12, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
KayTar 243
optik 226
CNGInterceptor 215
BigMerc96 200
Ezbok58a 192
road_pizza 191
ponyguy 160
Moby_Vic 156
BlackVic_P71 147
Black_Sunshine 145
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!