Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2265114 - 03/24/11 10:04 AM Replacing front lug stud
P70_Owner Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: NY
Long story short, the shop that did my inspection checked the brakes, and they must have F'ed up my lug studs when jamming the lug nut on with an impact wrench.

I had to change the tire yesterday and it was stripped.

I take it back there, and they all but cut the lugnut in half to get it off, then "did me a favor" by not charging me. They're not going to change the stud, and I don't know if I'm going to have time to take them to court, so ultimitly, I'm probably going to be the one holding the bag on this.

So, how does one go about changing a front, driver-side lug?

Here's a pic of the stud that got F'ed up.

Thanks in advance.

Came with the "Taxi Chip"! grin

Want to throw throw money down the drain and make your car look like crap? Try painting your car yourself!

Links
#2265118 - 03/24/11 10:12 AM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
WSTRLNG Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Plymouth, New Hampshire, USA
Mine is not that bad hairraise From what I have read.

1 remove wheel (duh) (have bad lug turned so it's at the bottom)
2 remove brake caliper (2 LARGE bolts near the hub)
This is where I stopped since my air ratchet was not strong enough to even try and turn them.
3 remove rotor
4 either use a special tool (Autozone) or hammer it out the back (there is a hole for it to exit)
5 install new one and use several washers and a lug nut to pull it into place.

I hope someone can chime in with more details for your and my benefit.

Especially on step 2

2004 CVPI Maine State Police D.P.S. 04-072 199K and going strong. - **JMOD **2006 Mustang Bullitt wheels and Hankook Ventus ST 255/50/17 tires. - **2010 3.55 TracLok rear end.
**New FORD logos for the airbag cover and where the trunk release button used to be. (moved to door) - **Electrical tape for bumper stripe.
**Head rests delete with plastic plugs from Lowe's - **Removed airbag warning labels from the sun visors. - **Ultimate Jeep Console.
**"Panic Button" keyboard key over the hazard light switch as a funny touch. - **Map light from a 1991 Mustang to replace the "ticket light".

#2265122 - 03/24/11 10:15 AM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
BigMerc96 Online   confused
Grand Poobah

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
**watching this thread due to a missing lug on the back of mine**

1997 Town Car Cartier ~118k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
I've read a lot of threads on CVN, and this one is probably the worst.

#2265149 - 03/24/11 11:20 AM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: WSTRLNG]
P70_Owner Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: WSTRLNG

This is where I stopped since my air ratchet was not strong enough to even try and turn them.
3 remove rotor
4 either use a special tool (Autozone) or hammer it out the back (there is a hole for it to exit)

Especially on step 2

Jebus man! It's not that hard to get 'em off!

So are you saying I need to hammer the back, pusing it twords the outside of the car, or hammer the front of the lug, so it would come out twords the engine compartment?

It seems like an easy job from what you discribe. Hopefully other people will chime in to conferm.

Also, explain the washers a bit more in detail for me. I don't exactly get the picture you're trying to paint with it.

Does the rotor just slide out, or are there some kinda bolts/pins I godda remove first?

Yeah, I know it's bad. That's what you get when an idiot takes an impact wrench to your car needlessly.

Want to throw throw money down the drain and make your car look like crap? Try painting your car yourself!

#2265156 - 03/24/11 11:31 AM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
BigMerc96 Online   confused
Grand Poobah

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
yes, the rotor just slides off. Its my understanding that you knock the stud twords the engine bay since they are pressed in from the back of the flange. You use the washers kind of like spacers between the lug nut and the hub flange and use a old lug nut and impact gun to pull the new stud into place.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~118k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
I've read a lot of threads on CVN, and this one is probably the worst.

#2265166 - 03/24/11 12:02 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: BigMerc96]
P70_Owner Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: BigMerc96
yes, the rotor just slides off. Its my understanding that you knock the stud twords the engine bay since they are pressed in from the back of the flange. You use the washers kind of like spacers between the lug nut and the hub flange and use a old lug nut and impact gun to pull the new stud into place.

Ahhh. I understand. How hard is it to do without an impact gun? I don't own one.

Alright, apparently I'm boned. I checked out Advance Auto, AutoZone, NAPA, and Rock Auto. They don't have it for the front, only the rear (and only NAPA and Rock Auto could get those). Would I be able to use one for the rear on the front, or is it made ONLY for the rear?

Anyone know another source that I could get the stud for the front?

#2265168 - 03/24/11 12:04 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: WSTRLNG]
Tracy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: West Bend, WI, USA

3 remove rotor

Pretty much the same procedure we used when replacing ones that broke on the race car.
If you can't get parts to come loose with an air gun, use a little penetrating oil (pb blaster, wd40) or heat them up with a torch, then try again, evenutally they'll break free and come off.

Hammer the stud from the outside and hammer towards the engine bay. When we replaced the ones on the race car, we didn't use washers, but highly recommended.

It'll take you more time to remove the brake caliper rotor, and wheel than it'll take you to replace the stud.
Very easy to do.

Download your Owner's Manual FREE from the Ford Owner's Site

#2265210 - 03/24/11 12:50 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
P70_Owner Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Thanks for the input Tracy. I'm glad this is going to be an easy fix. I should post a picture of they lugnut, the completely F'ed that S up.

I really do need an answer to my last question. Can I get away with using some Dorman lug studs that say they're for the rear, or do I have to buy ones made for the front? I can't seem to locate the front ones. If anyone has any input on a source, I'd appreciate it.

#2265226 - 03/24/11 01:18 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
WSTRLNG Offline
Over the Hill

Rear studs are shorter IIRC.

2004 CVPI Maine State Police D.P.S. 04-072 199K and going strong. - **JMOD **2006 Mustang Bullitt wheels and Hankook Ventus ST 255/50/17 tires. - **2010 3.55 TracLok rear end.
**New FORD logos for the airbag cover and where the trunk release button used to be. (moved to door) - **Electrical tape for bumper stripe.
**Head rests delete with plastic plugs from Lowe's - **Removed airbag warning labels from the sun visors. - **Ultimate Jeep Console.
**"Panic Button" keyboard key over the hazard light switch as a funny touch. - **Map light from a 1991 Mustang to replace the "ticket light".

#2265264 - 03/24/11 02:15 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
P70_Owner Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

The closest thing I found was Dorman part number 610-426, but it only lists '98-'06. Will this work, or did something change in the brake hardware that won't let me use it?

Thanks.

#2265306 - 03/24/11 03:27 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
P70_Owner Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

I called up a local Ford dealer and they gave me a part number of 5w1z1107. I can't seem to locate it with Google, and on Tasca I didn't find anything either.

WTF!!??!!?

Anyone got any insight on this for me?

#2265366 - 03/24/11 05:17 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
WSTRLNG Offline
Over the Hill

I found it on TascaParts.com by searching for 2007 Ford Crown Victoria Wheel Bolt

TascaParts

Edited by WSTRLNG (03/24/11 05:17 PM)

#2265465 - 03/24/11 08:02 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: WSTRLNG]
P70_Owner Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

I found it on TascaParts.com by searching for 2007 Ford Crown Victoria Wheel Bolt

TascaParts

Jesus, 8 bucks plus $10 shipping? Balls....

#2265569 - 03/24/11 10:59 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
larryo340 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Long Island
Originally Posted By: P70_Owner

TascaParts

Jesus, 8 bucks plus $10 shipping? Balls....

Originally Posted By: P70_Owner
called up a local Ford dealer and they gave me a part number of 5w1z1107

Thats why you should buy it locally, and that part number is missing the suffix...usually a letter or two.
I have nothing else to add..they guys gave you some good advice smile

Hey WSTRLNG...how the heck do you post a link right to the part selected confused whenever I try to do that it just links to the the site's homepage cuss

MOD List for MGM
...Marquis sold frown

#2265949 - 03/25/11 03:01 PM Re: Replacing front lug stud [Re: P70_Owner]
WSTRLNG Offline
Over the Hill

I must have gotten lucky. I just selected everything in the URL bar and inserted the link.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
7 registered (Joebug, GrumpMarky, Chevyguy, JSO2003P71, Allaa_Hassan, BigMerc96), 25 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
BigMerc96 154
Ezbok58a 149
road_pizza 139
a_d_a_m 121
BlackVic_P71 117
ponyguy 116
aknox077 88
Chaplian 88
73vwTodd 87
KayTar 82
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!