Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2293707 - 05/09/11 06:05 PM Misfire with code P0300, P0305, P0316 Please help
chadwick Offline
n00b

Loc: Lowell Michigan
I have an issue with my car ever since I pulled it out for te summer. When I put it away last winter it ran great. I pulled it out for the summer and the battery was dead. I bought a new battery, started it up and it misfires. I changed the plugs. (Still misfires) I changed the coils. (Still misfires) I checked fuel pressure. It was approx 10 psi to low at idle. I installed a new fuel pump and fuel filter. (Still Misfires) I installed new set of magna flow cats. (Still Misfires) When I pulled the old fuel pump, the strainer had a lot of crap in it. Does anyone have any idea where to go next. I am close to ordering new injectors. Did I fry something from trying to start it with a bad battery and underdrive pullies. Could it possibly be 02 sensors. Please help. Thanks.

Links
#2293738 - 05/09/11 07:02 PM Re: Misfire with code P0300, P0305, P0316 Please help [Re: chadwick]
SPM Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Wisconsin
Before anyone else bashes you over it....put your year/make/model information in your sig. That helps greatly with diagnosing what could be wrong.

I can say for certain that 10 PSI is a ridiculously low fuel pressure reading. With the engine running it should be 30 PSI at the minimum. You said the fuel pump strainer had a lot of gunk on it...it's possible that the pump is now weakened from having to work extra hard because of the gunk in the way. What's your fuel pressure reading now with the clean strainer??

Have you checked the MAF sensor?? If it's real dirty, the engine will not be running happy at all.

2005 Grand Marquis LS, 75K miles
2000 CVPI, 229K miles (Sold)

#2296576 - 05/14/11 06:26 PM Re: Misfire with code P0300, P0305, P0316 Please help [Re: SPM]
chadwick Offline
n00b

2003 crownvic 4.6 liter. I will put it in the signature. thanks. I have aleady replaced the fuel filter and am still having an issue with misfires. When in overdrive an slightly in to the gas it starts to miss. It doesnt sem to happen at all speeds or rpms.
2003 Crown Vic P71. Full K&N cold air intake kit, 75mm BBK throttle body/75mm throttle body spacer/75mm BBK intake air neck, underdrive pullies, accel supercoils, dual flowmaster exhaust with X pipe and 1 set of magna flow cats, nitrous express efi wet kit (100 shot Nozzle tapped into TB spacer), and EBC slotted rotors and EBC pads, and a J-Mod.

#2296588 - 05/14/11 06:36 PM Re: Misfire with code P0300, P0305, P0316 Please help [Re: chadwick]
chadwick Offline
n00b

When i originally checked fuel pressure it was approx 20 psi. so i changed the pump but it still has made no difference. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am thinking that mabye some of the gung that was in the strainer of the old fuel pump made its way to the injectors and has clogged one of them. I am thinking about changing all of the injectors at this point. But would like to get some feed back before i do so.
2003 Crown Vic P71. Full K&N cold air intake kit, 75mm BBK throttle body/75mm throttle body spacer/75mm BBK intake air neck, underdrive pullies, accel supercoils, dual flowmaster exhaust with X pipe and 1 set of magna flow cats, nitrous express efi wet kit (100 shot Nozzle tapped into TB spacer), and EBC slotted rotors and EBC pads, and a J-Mod.

#2296604 - 05/14/11 07:23 PM Re: Misfire with code P0300, P0305, P0316 Please help [Re: chadwick]
Rizzo Offline
J-MOD Master
Metroplectic

Loc: Romulus,MI
If you like your Fuel injector idea, Go get some or contact BH1976, He works in a shop that will clean and bench test all 8 for you.

If you're getting a misfire at idle,Then pull one connector at a time until you find the one or two cylinders that are misfiring. You'll know which one it is by the fact it will NOT sound any different.

Then if you're lucky and it's only one or two, Then using a test light check the ignition for each of the dead cylinders. Unplug the connector side of the COP, Probe each side. One side will show current all the time,The other side will blink with each hit of that piston in the firing order.

If all 8 check out ok then you have verified the ignition system works and now you can more assuredly focus on the fuel side. Since this was a free test you didn't just throw part money at it, Since the Fuel pressure checks out and you know you have voltage you have a better chance of it actually being the very NOT free laugh injectors or the cleaning I suggested.

The Jmod video is done! LINK!

#2297668 - 05/16/11 04:36 PM Re: Misfire with code P0300, P0305, P0316 Please help [Re: Rizzo]
chadwick Offline
n00b

Thanks for the ideas. Before I started replacing anything, back when it originally started to miss. I pulled each injector connecto and each seemed to make a diff in the way the car ran. But now that I have repaired a few other issues I had going on. I will try it again. If not I will probably hit you back. Thanks again.

#2300003 - 05/20/11 05:19 PM Re: Misfire with code P0300, P0305, P0316 Please help [Re: chadwick]
chadwick Offline
n00b

No matter what coil or injector i disconnect it makes a difference in the way the car runs. I also tried swapping out the cam sensor and crank sensor sinc i had a p0316, but it is still missing. I am going crazy. I cant figure this one out. Could i possibly have a bent or cracked valve. Or a worn cam lobe.

#2300139 - 05/20/11 10:28 PM Re: Misfire with code P0300, P0305, P0316 Please help [Re: chadwick]
BigMerc96 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Is it always a cylinder 5 Misfire (p0305)? Is there any coolant in #5's spark plug well? that is the closest one to the thermostat, and everyone knows these intakes like to leak. I like the cleaning the MAF idea, alot of the time a p0300
(random misfire) will be caused by the MAF being dirty. My car threw a p0300 and 2 lean codes shortly after I got it, MAF was very dirty (there was actually a dead spider on it).

Have you checked out the fuel pressure regulator? IIRC if you unplug its vacuum line the fuel pressure should change, if it doesn't, then its bad.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~114k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
I've read a lot of threads on CVN, and this one is probably the worst.

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
6 registered (CameronVic, hilljack, Brian_31, AWE_Alex, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
road_pizza 269
a_d_a_m 258
Chicago2VP71 215
Moby_Vic 193
BigMerc96 191
Ezbok58a 168
aknox077 150
BigNSlow 137
ponyguy 116
Chaplian 115
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!