Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2308906 - 06/05/11 08:20 AM Not Grounded Properly?
Marqed_Man Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: il
What things would happen if my car wasnt grounded correctly?

Links
#2308949 - 06/05/11 09:40 AM Re: Not Grounded Properly? [Re: Marqed_Man]
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Things would work poorly or not at all. A loose connection would cause things to work intermitantly or not at all. A high resistance connection might cause things to not work as intended or not at all.

In a word the system would be buggy.

Almost all automotive diagrams show electricity flowing from positive to negative. I am told that the actual electrons flow from negative to positive so a poor ground would inhibit or restrict both voltage (pressure) and amperage (rate of flow) to all devices downstream.

#2309044 - 06/05/11 12:51 PM Re: Not Grounded Properly? [Re: Marqed_Man]
cv4life Offline
Rookie

Loc: atlanta
x2 and it can cause things to get hot

#2309060 - 06/05/11 01:35 PM Re: Not Grounded Properly? [Re: Marqed_Man]
TheTank Offline

Loc: mississippi
Also if your worried about poor grounding in your primary wiring you could do the "Big 3" in 4 awg or larger.

The big three is batt negative to frame, engine to frame, and alternator output to positive battery terminal. It will also bring up your voltage a little bit.

If you google search the Big 3 youll find write ups and youtube videos with pics and how tos.
Pioneer DEH 1200

#2309101 - 06/05/11 02:51 PM Re: Not Grounded Properly? [Re: TheTank]
Marqed_Man Offline
Over the Hill

Well my wiper motor wasnt parking itself so I replaced it. Now the damn thing wont turn on OR it will act oddly. Also on occasion while the car running, the lights will NOT shut off! Also frequently, the lights in the radio dont go on. nono The AC was acting up too but not anymore. It was automatically changing from cold max AC to outside warm humid air.

What does that sound like to you folks?
PCM? Bad ground? Bad luck?
Also what length would I need for a new ground wire?

#2309176 - 06/05/11 05:07 PM Re: Not Grounded Properly? [Re: Marqed_Man]
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

You might try a different multi-function switch and see what happens. A little short inside the switch can cause all kinds of trouble. To my knowledge that is the only thing that brings wipers and lights circuits together.

#2309438 - 06/06/11 02:19 AM Re: Not Grounded Properly? [Re: gord_bolton]
Marqed_Man Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: gord_bolton
You might try a different multi-function switch and see what happens. A little short inside the switch can cause all kinds of trouble. To my knowledge that is the only thing that brings wipers and lights circuits together.

Are you referring to the stalk for the turn signals and wiper?

I dont know if its not grounded. I dont know if its just another bad motor. I dont know if its a bad stalk. Grrrrrrr.......
How difficult is it to replace the stalk?

#2309734 - 06/06/11 04:40 PM Re: Not Grounded Properly? [Re: Marqed_Man]
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Phillips screwdriver and torx screwdriver or 7mm socket I think.
Vice grips to get the tilt lever out of the way.
And a little probe to push the release for the key cylinder. Disconnect battery, turn key to on, probe from hole under column and pull on key cylinder.

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
8 registered (hairy_paperclip, defflepp1, CVPIgeezer, ferg, Black_Sunshine, CrownVic97, 1 invisible), 64 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
KayTar 285
optik 237
CNGInterceptor 224
BigMerc96 206
Ezbok58a 203
road_pizza 191
Moby_Vic 170
ponyguy 170
gplayer 156
BlackVic_P71 152
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!