Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2321964 - 06/28/11 10:17 AM Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions?
optik Offline
never say never
Poobah

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I've begun looking for a truck, with plans to purchase this fall. I need to replace my tired full-size Bronco (300k miles) and wanted something that got a bit better mileage than a rusty 351. I need 4WD, and I need it to be able to tow my 16' fiberglass stern-drive boat, including hauling it up boat launches.

I was thinking of a Ranger, but with gas prices effecting vehicle prices, I feel like I might get a better condition truck for the same price if I went with something bigger, especially an SUV that doesn't really have practical applications as a work truck. This led me to the police package Expeditions because they appear to sell for significantly cheaper than the civilian-trim ones, and I continue to enjoy the crap out of my vic. I don't really like the look of the Expeditions as much as I do the lowered police Tahoes, but I've always been a Ford guy, and most of the Tahoes seem to be 2WD only.

So, my questions are, does anyone have any general input on this matter? Does anyone who's spent any time in the police package Expeditions have anything good or bad to say about them? How was the ride, handling, etc.?

2007 Focus ZXW - 2008 Expedition SSV
Mirror of p71interceptor.com: http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/
Mirror of moldyrabbit.com/liquid/: http://www.idmsvcs.com/liquid/

Links
#2322013 - 06/28/11 11:33 AM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
cgeorgemo Offline

Loc: Joplin, MO
Rear seat padding and over all ergonomics of the Police Expeditions leaves a lot to be desired. I couldn't even get the door handles to work from the inside...

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven.

#2322015 - 06/28/11 11:42 AM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
Texas_Charlie Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
cgeorgemo, you should have tried the front seat without the silver bracelets

#2322017 - 06/28/11 11:42 AM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: cgeorgemo]
JeffBoudah Offline

Poobah

Loc: Holland,MI
Originally Posted By: cgeorgemo
I couldn't even get the door handles to work from the inside...

ummm... it's a cop car... grin

1979 LTD 2-Door, 64k miles, Mint
2003 Explorer XLT 155k miles, bone stock and staying that way... maybe

#2322044 - 06/28/11 12:32 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
jmlock Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: Harris County, TX
My department has a few. There was the previous generation and the current ones that we still have and are trying to dump.

First, the older ones seemed to be ok. Those would be the ones with the solid rear axles, like the early 2000-2002'ish ones. I don't recall any major problems with those.

Now, for the current piles of [censored]. And that is what they are, at least for us. Our K9 units run them and have been replacing them slowly due to budget constraints. However, the rear ends are falling apart on them. The transmissions are horrid and all six of the current ones we have in service have all had transmissions worked on while under warranty. One even went through two transmissions with under 30k miles. Those seem to be the two biggest complaints, rear suspension and transmissions. However, it says a lot when vehicles still under factory warranty are being pulled from service when possible. And now I know why we were able to get them loaded for $1200 under what we were paying for CVPIs.

Run away. Run fast. Run far.

#2322083 - 06/28/11 01:38 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
a_d_a_m Online   drunk
3 Orange Whips
Posting Addict

Loc: 44077-3545
The police Expedition rides a lot like a civilian one which (to me) rides like an F-150. One of my departments has an Expedition and it sits unless we need to go off-road or it's snowing or there are NO other cruisers left. The gas mileage is that bad on it.

A 4WD Ranger is relatively inexpensive to buy, dependable, and was (likely) never in police service. And I'm a bigger guy, and the Ranger is quite comfortable as far as entry/exit on a daily basis. On top of that, it'll tow what you need it to and get better mileage than an Expy or Tahoe.

In other words - IMHO, advantage: Ranger.

#2322084 - 06/28/11 01:39 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
BillyBishop Offline
Expert mechanic
Poobah

Loc: KY
But you can't be a whacker in a Ranger frown

1985 2 door vic-------2003 P71: Lots of mods-----1994 Buick Toastmaster
Past: 2002 P71, 1996 LTC, 2003 P71

#2322086 - 06/28/11 01:42 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: BillyBishop]
a_d_a_m Online   drunk
3 Orange Whips
Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
But you can't be a whacker in a Ranger frown

#2322113 - 06/28/11 02:33 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
optik Offline
never say never
Poobah

I heard f-150s were the wacker truck of choice!

All of the ones I was looking at were in the 2003-2005 range, so jmlock's advice was pretty disheartening. Between that and the fact that I don't really like the look of them, particularly the rear end, I may have to exclude them.

#2322126 - 06/28/11 03:04 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
Steveboos Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Yeah i have only heard bad things about them. From the comfort of the ride to the constant fixing they require. I would also stay away. You can find 4x4 PPV Tahoes, but usually around $15,000 and that might be way out of your budget.
2007 Ford Crown Victoria SAP P71 Silver Birch/Dark Charcoal, 137,000 Miles, 1,600 Hours, NCSHP Vehicle #7367
40% Huper Optik Window Tint, DIY Headlight Relay Upgrade, Turn Signal Flash Mod, Trunk Light Mod with Cold Cathodes, Streamlight UltraStinger, Ultra Gauge, Pioneer Head unit, a GlobalSat BU-353, Cobra 29-LX, DVR-207 Dash Camera, and a RAM-VB-106-SW1 No-Drill Laptop Mount.

Proud member of the imaginary S.A.P. Group. You don't see us due to our street appearance.

#2322138 - 06/28/11 03:25 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: a_d_a_m]
T.Narley Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Shining city on a hill
Originally Posted By: a_d_a_m
The police Expedition rides a lot like a civilian one which (to me) rides like an F-150. One of my departments has an Expedition and it sits unless we need to go off-road or it's snowing or there are NO other cruisers left. The gas mileage is that bad on it.

A 4WD Ranger is relatively inexpensive to buy, dependable, and was (likely) never in police service. And I'm a bigger guy, and the Ranger is quite comfortable as far as entry/exit on a daily basis. On top of that, it'll tow what you need it to and get better mileage than an Expy or Tahoe.

In other words - IMHO, advantage: Ranger.

If you put on a full duty belt and spent a few hours patrolling in a fully outfitted Ranger you'd be ready to kill the purchasing manager.

We have a pair of 2008 Explorers. The unmarked on isnt bad to be in (minimal cop stuff, all hidden), but the marked unit (cosole, radios, MDT, radar, etc.) is awful. I can't even recline or adjust the seat without first opening the drivers door so my arm has room.

Yea, it's already cooked one transmission under warranty.
1993 Mustang LX 5.0 (Play Toy)

#2322298 - 06/28/11 06:47 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: T.Narley]
SG1NUT Offline
Climber

Loc: SW Michigan
I have a 2004 Expedition police package, and I personally love it.

I bought it with about 95,000 miles on it, and i have nearly 140,000 on it now. With that said, I have had very few issues with it.

The worst thing that has gone wrong was that the fuel pump went out a couple months ago. Other than that, I haven't had any major problems.

And I definitely don't baby this truck. I use it as a service vehicle for my family's towing company, so it gets the crap beat out of it. I have towed many different trailers with many different loads with it, and had no problems.

And even though it has fully independent suspension, the offroading abilities are pretty robust. A couple weeks back, I used my truck to winch out a stuck Tru-Green truck that was stuck about a mile down a two-track in the middle of nowhere.

As for ergonomics, there is very little that differentiates the police package from the civilian Expedition. My rear seat is vinyl, there is no third-row seat, and there was no center console when I got it. That is about the extent of the differences. The suspension and powertrain is the same as the civilian model as well.

The handling, in my opinion, is some of the best that I have experienced in a full-sized SUV. I do tend to drive somewhat aggressively, and I have put the handling through its paces a few times. I have driven several other SUVs that have considerably more body roll, understeer, etc. This may have something to do with the independent suspension, but I'm not entirely sure.

I probably cannot comment very well on the ride, since I have E-rated light truck tires that I keep aired up at 60 psi. With the tires up that high, the ride does suffer somewhat. When I first got the truck, it had passenger tires on it. The ride was significantly better then, but I wanted the extra load range for some of the heavier loads that I have hauled.

Don't be afraid of the Expeditions from '03 to '06. The Explorers of the same year range had a ton of issues, but the Expeditions were much better. I love mine, and I have worked the crap out of it.

And it's pretty sexy too, if I do say so:

Image here, make sure to call me a whacker.

Edited by SG1NUT (06/28/11 06:51 PM)

2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer
1998 Ford Mustang GT

#2322317 - 06/28/11 07:33 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
mike_b Offline
Poobah

Loc: At your local Dunkin Donuts
Our State Police has about 30-40 Silver Expedition-XL EL's that they use for the "truck squad" (mainly 2007-2009 models).

Haven't heard any bad things about them (they've had Expeditions since 2004/5) and the Troopers that have them generally like them.
2007 P71 Smokestone Metallic JModded ( traded with 150,000 miles )
2005 P74 Arizona Beige (traded with 55,000 miles)
2000 P71 Deep Wedgewood Blue (traded with 140,000 miles)

#2322340 - 06/28/11 08:12 PM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: T.Narley]
a_d_a_m Online   drunk
3 Orange Whips
Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: T.Narley
If you put on a full duty belt and spent a few hours patrolling in a fully outfitted Ranger you'd be ready to kill the purchasing manager.
My response was directed at optik, who I assume(d - perhaps incorrectly) would not be wearing a full duty belt and going on hours of patrol, nor would his Ranger be outfitted with and MDT, radios, etc...

#2322493 - 06/29/11 12:34 AM Re: Expedition w/Police Package... Opinions? [Re: optik]
optik Offline
never say never
Poobah

No duty belt, no equipment console, no laptop mount. BUT, I do drive A LOT and during the winter this would be my daily driver. I also plan on using it for long road-trips. I also like things big. I'm far from a big guy, but I can't stand feeling confined. I love the roominess of my vic, I wear my t-shirts a size too large, etc.

Also, the way I drive, I get about the same mileage out of my friend's 2006 2.0T Jetta as I do on my vic. Unless a vehicle is an absolute gas-hog, like my FSB and the pick-ups I've had before it, I get about 17-20 regularly. Best I've clocked was 27mpg in my 99 Taurus driving it back from PA. Paying a lot for fuel is just a fact of life for me considering how I drive and the vehicles I enjoy driving.

One of the companies I do some work for has a Ranger, I'll have to take it for a spin and see how it feels. I drove past and looked at it today, noting that the bed seemed too small and the rear seat was a joke. It looked like a 2-seater with a big trunk. With the topper, it didn't have room to work as a back-up to my service van because the tool-cases would be too tall, though I think they would just- work in the Expy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Liquid, Ryan, The_Punisher 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
16 registered (Bangster, blastaudio69, Black_Sunshine, aknox077, 124neta, 2 invisible), 102 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ezbok58a 205
BigMerc96 182
124neta 163
road_pizza 154
BigNSlow 140
a_d_a_m 139
Alex07 139
aknox077 124
ponyguy 120
2004_p71 93
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!