Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2344555 - 08/01/11 02:14 PM Car Pulls Left When Braking
CarMon Offline

Loc: Southwest Florida
97 CV LX HPP formerly a Northern car - Wisconsin, now in FL for the last 3 years.

I have a problem that I cannot seem to solve. Ever since I replaced my front rotors on 8/21/10, I have had problems with the car pulling to the left when braking. The rotors I put on were Wagner BD125476, and I put them on because the old ones were warped. I used the same brake pads which at the time, had at least 40,000mi on them and still looked meaty and evenly worn. I don't quite remember but I believe I did indeed compress the caliper pistons back into the calipers when I changed the rotors, to facilitate slipping the caliper-pad assembly back on to the new likely "thicker" rotors. (Could this have pushed debris upstream to the ABS unit?)

Four months later around Christmastime we took a trip north and the brakepull was seemingly more pronounced in the cold weather & on icy & snowy roads. I also noticed temporarly loss of "power" brakes after not using the brakes for a while. This temporary loss of boost has not shown itself in warm weather the car regularly sees.

On 4/16/11, because of the pull problem, I flushed the brake lines, replacing the fluid with Prestone Synthetic Dot 3 fluid. The fluid that came out was dark and greenish. The problem "seemed" to have gone away but soon came back.

On 5/21/11 I rotated my tires due to my RF outter edge wearing down very quickly. The pulling problem "seemed" to be less after the rotation.

Today I decided I'd change my front brake pads and bleed out the front calipers again. I removed the old pads which were evenly worn snd still had a good amount of meat. I put on Duralast Ceramic pads (DGC659) for about $56. What a waste of $56 because the car still pulls left when braking. Subconsciously I sort of knew it wasn't the pads, but I was hoping that would do the trick.

From the outside, the front calipers look good. The piston sits in the bore straight, and the seel is even around the piston, and it is not pinched or bulging.

The hoses "look" good. I have not checked the master cylinder for leakage but I have not noticed any brake fluid around the booster. I have not removed the MS from the booster to check for fluid leakage.

I have mostly "ignored" the rear hydrolic brakes although the rear calipers were included in the brake bleed in April.

There is "some reason" that the RF seems to not be braking as hard as the LF.

What on earth could be the problem here? I am about to throw my hands up.

>> My 97 Crown Vic LX HPP <<

Links
#2344567 - 08/01/11 02:30 PM Re: Car Pulls Left When Braking [Re: CarMon]
Tracy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: West Bend, WI, USA
When was the last time your car had a front end alignment??
The abnormal wear on the RF tire also indicates an alignment issue as well.

I'd start checking for worn out or broken front end parts because I'm thinking that this is the cause.

Download your Owner's Manual FREE from the Ford Owner's Site

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
17 registered (D-Fenz, drabina, blastaudio69, Bangster, daedal_arcanum, doubld98, 1 invisible), 93 Guests and 91 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
124neta 238
BigMerc96 184
a_d_a_m 183
road_pizza 175
aknox077 170
Ezbok58a 159
ponyguy 149
BigNSlow 133
Alex07 126
Moby_Vic 118
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!