Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2325747 - 07/04/11 03:56 PM Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI
lwbowers Offline
n00b

Battery light comes on shortly after starting engine - stays on reguardless of engine speed. Replaced the battery since I believe it is the factory original (8-years old) and the "Red Eye" was showing. Voltage at battery with engine off was @ 13.2V with new battery installed - has been decreasing over time as I continue to troubleshoot the problem and now is at 12.6V. Voltage at alternator's B+ terminal is same as battery voltage. Disconnected wire from B+ and voltage at terminal is 0.5V with engine running.

I removed the alternator and had tested at Advance Auto Parts and it tested "good" and showed that is was producing 14.2V output, but I question how much faith should I have in the alternator being "good", based on the test.

I didn't check continuity of the two fusable links between B+ and the battery, but I assume since I have battery voltage at B+ with the engine off that that's not the problem. I also have battery voltage @ pin 3(A) of the 6G connector, which I believe proves the fuse is good (where *is* that fuse, anyway?).

So ultimately, my questions are: Should I replace the alternator even though it bench-tested "good" out of the car? Is there an external voltage regulator I can/need to check? Is there a way to check the PCM other than to replace it?

Here's a Reference Diagram

Links
#2325749 - 07/04/11 04:00 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
BlackIce Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: North of Detroit
I can't answer your charging question but before I pay for a new alternator, I would find someone that rebuilds them. The cost of rebuilding the alternator is a lot less than a new one.

#2325754 - 07/04/11 04:06 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
Hypnotoad Offline

Loc: Birchwood,TN
I am pretty sure in '03 cars the charge state of the alternator is controlled by the PCM. So if it tests good,there might be a problem elsewhere.

Key word is might. I've had 2 BAD alternators test good on their machines before,so take anything they say with a grain of salt.

2000 CVPI,145K miles.

#2325761 - 07/04/11 04:28 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: BlackIce]
lwbowers Offline
n00b

I don't mind paying for a rebuilt alternator if I know it's going to fix the problem, but few places will take it back if it doesn't solve the problem. If the PCM is providing the voltage regulation, then there's not much left in the alternator to go wrong; shorted or open windings, worn brushes or bad rectifier diodes - I belive most of these problems would be correctly caught in the bench-testing. There was very little noise coming from the alternator when they ran it on the bench, so at least I know the bearings are in good shape.

@hypnotoad - based on "bad" alternators passing their test, I may just go ahead and get a new/rebuilt one.

Is there an easy way to test the PCM?

Also... this car has <70K miles on it and it never sat idling as part of it's service life, so I would expect the brushes to be in good shape.

Edited by lwbowers (07/04/11 04:31 PM)

#2325788 - 07/04/11 05:54 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
NCHeel Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Charlotte NC
Alternator sounds good. 14.2v is 14.2v. Sounds like you have a problem in the wiring. It is not getting to the battery. Best to test the whole charging system rather than testing each individual component. Where is the voltage regulator on the Panther's? If you have good ground on everything then start tracking the + till you find where it is not getting from the alt to the batt.

#2325810 - 07/04/11 07:26 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: NCHeel]
lwbowers Offline
n00b

I agree that this should be diagnosed systemically, and luckily there are only a few parts involved here - the battery, PCM, alternator and the interconnecting wires - and the battery has already been replaced.

There's a nice writeup here that describes the PCMs function, along with some testing hints. I have (almost) the expected voltages on pins 1-3 on the 6G connector, but I have no way of measuring the frequency being produced on the GEN-GFS line and I don't have a code reader to see if it's stored any of the P124* codes - it may be worth taking a look for those. It's also not zero volts - it's floating to 0.09 - so that may or may not be an issue.

I believe the correct voltages on the 6G connector give me reason to believe the connections to the PCM are correct. And having battery voltage present at the alternator end of the B+ wire confirms a good path to the battery through (at least one of) the fused links - which leaves the piece in the middle (alternator) or the PCM. I don't generally like to throw parts at problems, but I think the alternator is a reasonably good guess, assuming that the bench test uses a brute-force approach to get the alternator to produce output and that it's been proven (according to Hypnotoad) that bad alternators can appear to test "good".

Edited by lwbowers (07/04/11 07:46 PM)

#2325911 - 07/05/11 01:50 AM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: NCHeel]
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Glendale, AZ
Originally Posted By: NCHeel
Where is the voltage regulator on the Panther's?

It's integrated into the Alternator.

2007 Smokestone LX HPP - 17.5K miles 1/2016
'05 PI Airbox/Ziptube, BOC 91 Octane Tune, PowerSlot F&R Rotors, Raybestos Police Patrol Pads F&R, 260A Mechman Alt w/OAD & Big 3, Ported Intake Plenum, Adco Front & Rear Swaybars, Metco Control Arms, Metco Watts Link, KYB Police Struts/Shocks F&R, Arnott HPP-spec "Limo" rear bags, Walker Quietflow 3's w/Resonator delete, 3.55 TracLoc conversion, 180 T-Stat, 22C Plugs, GY Eagle Sport AS Tires, Kenwood DNN992 Nav Headunit & Speakers, Viper 5901 Alarm/Remote Start & Street Guardian Dashcam

MY ARTICLES

Pulleys for Police Alternators | Replacing Door Weather Barriers | Exhaust Dampers and their importance

#2326092 - 07/05/11 02:26 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
Big_Bad_Joe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Rochester NY
Originally Posted By: lwbowers
Battery light comes on shortly after starting engine - stays on reguardless of engine speed. Replaced the battery since I believe it is the factory original (8-years old) and the "Red Eye" was showing. Voltage at battery with engine off was @ 13.2V with new battery installed - has been decreasing over time as I continue to troubleshoot the problem and now is at 12.6V. Voltage at alternator's B+ terminal is same as battery voltage. Disconnected wire from B+ and voltage at terminal is 0.5V with engine running.

I removed the alternator and had tested at Advance Auto Parts and it tested "good" and showed that is was producing 14.2V output, but I question how much faith should I have in the alternator being "good", based on the test.

I didn't check continuity of the two fusable links between B+ and the battery, but I assume since I have battery voltage at B+ with the engine off that that's not the problem. I also have battery voltage @ pin 3(A) of the 6G connector, which I believe proves the fuse is good (where *is* that fuse, anyway?).

So ultimately, my questions are: Should I replace the alternator even though it bench-tested "good" out of the car? Is there an external voltage regulator I can/need to check? Is there a way to check the PCM other than to replace it?

Here's a Reference Diagram

You need to test the alternator in the car! Those testers are totally unreliable as far as I am concerned. Just pick up a meter and check the voltage with the car running....... it should be between 13.9 and 14.3 ...depending on what accessories you have on when you test it...

test it across the battery terminals... not at the alternator and go from there.... if its low its the alternator.... the drivebelt would have to be noticeably slipping and seriously worn to be causing this.... although it is possible but unlikely....

Edited by Big_Bad_Joe (07/05/11 02:28 PM)
Given to DG in Ohio

2013 Ford Expedition Limited EL, Pearl White

2000 HPP RESURECTION RIP 8/17/2012 died in Dayton OH

#2326321 - 07/05/11 07:57 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
BlaineB Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Indiana
Sounds like my alternator problems in my 2001. Also a 6G alternator, just a little bit different because it has the internal voltage regulator vs. your 2003 alternator being controlled by the PCM.

Replaced my battery with a brand new 850 CCA Motorcraft battery. I get around 13.9-14.2 volts at cold startup, but it will "bleed off" to around 13.5 after cruising for a little bit with no accessories on.

With A/C on MAX, blower on MAX, highbeams on, rear defroster on, wipers on, and interior lights on, I can get the voltage to dip to 11.3 volts...

But I am not getting a battery light. I see voltage at both pins on the regulator plug, 1 and 3 (pin 2 does not have a wire - yours may considering it is a different regulation system)

Most likely just a worn alternator. I never did install a new alternator in my car, just tried a few used ones, I guess used alternators aren't such a good idea, heh.

#2326367 - 07/05/11 09:07 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: BlaineB]
lwbowers Offline
n00b

The 2001 only uses pins 1 & 3 - see the diagrams here. Pin 1 provides feedback to the battery light, but must drop below a preset voltage before the light comes on.

Edited by lwbowers (07/05/11 09:10 PM)

#2326966 - 07/06/11 03:28 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
BlaineB Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Indiana
Yes I understand, also that battery light pin is also a GENCOM pin or something. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I was just providing input as I had already created a post about my issues.

#2326976 - 07/06/11 03:41 PM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
abelouso Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, CA, US
It is most likely the alternator. There are PIDs related to the problem of the sensing circuit. Voltage is regulated solely by the PCM - there is no on-board voltage regulator in the generator AFAIK.

Since there is no ability to simulate PCM commands at the store's testing equipment - testing there will not detect issues with the sensing and command circuits in the alternator.

for more info
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbth...884#Post2046884

There is a series of troubleshooting steps to be able to tell if the control connector (3 prong) works correctly.

I cannot recall what the procedure is.

Thank you.

#2358676 - 08/24/11 04:05 AM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
lwbowers Offline
n00b

I've been meaning to follow up on this for awhile now... The problem ended up being a broken wire for the GEN-GFS signal coming from the PCM. For those of you that have this same generation alternator setup, an intermittent battery light coming on might be an early indicator that this is the problem. In my case, once the light came on it pretty much stayed on, although there were a couple of times that it went off for a few seconds, which now makes perfect sense.

#2358689 - 08/24/11 06:34 AM Re: Battery light / No charge 2003 CVPI [Re: lwbowers]
TheShadow Online   content

Over the Hill

Loc: SoCal High Desert
Wow, lots of good info here. Thanks for doing all that research and sharing it with us! And thanks for bringing the thread 'home' with the final problem found.
Taxicab mechanic: I HATE DRIVERS!

Who's Online
1 registered (TheShadow), 66 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!