Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2359614 - 08/25/11 01:37 PM Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7?
PointBlank Offline

Today i noticed my Door Ajar light on insturment panel stayed lit after closing my door?Went out and made sure all 4 doors were secure,and they were.

Also all my interior lights including dome light were on and stayed on,cannot figure out what happened.

Pulled my battery cable hoping to reset everything but no luck.I only kept the cable off a short time but the door Ajar / lights will not go out.

Any idea's whats going on here?

Thx for any help.

Edited by PointBlank (08/25/11 01:38 PM)

Links
#2359663 - 08/25/11 03:10 PM Re: Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7? [Re: PointBlank]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
Details? What year and model you have?

I have to assume this is something with a digital dash?

With Battery Minder (depending on the year, of course) it should only stay on for 30 minutes.

Without details, who knows, it is likely one of the doors switches needs lubed.
63 Falcon 302
82 F-150
97 Mark VIII LSC (RIP)
2017 Escape SE (RIP)
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
2019 Edge SEL 2.0 GTDI 8 speed auto

#2359728 - 08/25/11 05:22 PM Re: Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7? [Re: Bangster]
puppy Offline
Climber

Loc: Washington
Originally Posted By: Bangster
Details? What year and model you have?

I have to assume this is something with a digital dash?

With Battery Minder (depending on the year, of course) it should only stay on for 30 minutes.

Without details, who knows, it is likely one of the doors switches needs lubed.

I have had this same problem on my other fords over the years. with the change to the door ajar, and dome light being contolled by the door handle, it is a good idea to spray some WD-40, PB Blaster, etc., into the handle and latch area to keep it well lubed. This generally will solve the problem for me.

#2359768 - 08/25/11 07:04 PM Re: Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7? [Re: PointBlank]
PointBlank Offline

It is a 2000 GM

I sprayed them with wd40 a second ago but my lights are still on.

#2359789 - 08/25/11 08:01 PM Re: Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7? [Re: PointBlank]
puppy Offline
Climber

You may have to really soak them down quite a bit. They do tend to accumulate a lot of dirt and gunk on the switches. If that doesn't work, maybe another member has an idea on taking them apart. I have always been able to fix mine with the WD-40 trick.

#2359812 - 08/25/11 08:41 PM Re: Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7? [Re: PointBlank]
PointBlank Offline

Two times now my lights went out after soaking with wd40 but came back on after i opened the door.

Am i trying to concentrate on the underside of the door handle itself or on the side of the door?

Thanks so much for all the help,it seems to be working but hopefully i will find the area to concentrate my spray better.

Do i need to take the panel off to spray,or just thru the handle or side of door?

#2359947 - 08/26/11 12:16 AM Re: Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7? [Re: PointBlank]
puppy Offline
Climber

Open your door, and look at the latch assembly in the door, where it would contact the striker pin in the door sill. That is the area I always concentrate on. Stick the WD-40 straw in the bottom of the latch assembly, the top, the sides, don't be to shy about using it. I had an F-350, I had to liberally douse, several times to solve the problem. Also, make sure that if there is a plug in the bottom of the door, to remove that so the fluid can drain out, then re-install it later. It sounds like you are getting close to solving the problem if the light is going out. But, with it coming back on, the switch may still be sticking inside the door. If this doesn't solve the problem, then yes, you will have to pull the door panel off, and tackle it from inside the door. But, this has always worked for me in the past.

#2360605 - 08/27/11 10:23 AM Re: Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7? [Re: puppy]
PointBlank Offline

It worked after several soakings,thx SO much!!!

Originally Posted By: puppy
Open your door, and look at the latch assembly in the door, where it would contact the striker pin in the door sill. That is the area I always concentrate on. Stick the WD-40 straw in the bottom of the latch assembly, the top, the sides, don't be to shy about using it. I had an F-350, I had to liberally douse, several times to solve the problem. Also, make sure that if there is a plug in the bottom of the door, to remove that so the fluid can drain out, then re-install it later. It sounds like you are getting close to solving the problem if the light is going out. But, with it coming back on, the switch may still be sticking inside the door. If this doesn't solve the problem, then yes, you will have to pull the door panel off, and tackle it from inside the door. But, this has always worked for me in the past.

#2360860 - 08/27/11 08:22 PM Re: Door Ajar Light / Interior Lights Stay On 24/7? [Re: PointBlank]
puppy Offline
Climber

Glad it helped you out.

Who's Online
1 registered (RipWixomAssembly), 116 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!