Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2391883 - 10/19/11 05:16 PM Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV
MudMoccasin Offline
Rookie

Loc: Memphis, TN
Engine has no problem starting however, when put in reverse it instantly shuts off. I am assuming this is a fuel pump issue since the battery is brand new and all things electrical (alternator, solenoid, ect.) are fully functioning. This issue coincidentally occurred just as the weather got cold. Any clue as to what this may be and steps to rectify? Thanks in advance.

Links
#2391972 - 10/19/11 07:45 PM Re: Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV [Re: MudMoccasin]
olopezm Offline

Loc: Irapuato, Mexico
It dies even if you step a little on the gas before putting it in gear?

Oscar.

"If you don't agree with me I respect you; if I don't agree with you I'm an ignorant? Nice thinking smart guy...

#2392667 - 10/20/11 10:12 PM Re: Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV [Re: olopezm]
MudMoccasin Offline
Rookie

Originally Posted By: olopezm
It dies even if you step a little on the gas before putting it in gear?

Oscar.

Well, after applying the gas for about 5 seconds or more, it will eventually albeit hesitatingly remain running. Thing is, it never used to do this and would love to have this rectified. Any clue as to what causes this?

#2392895 - 10/21/11 10:55 AM Re: Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV [Re: MudMoccasin]
olopezm Offline

And it happens only in reverse or you notice it happening at that moment because you have to get it out from the drive way? It happens everytime you use reverse or only during cold startups?

I don't think the problem is a fuel pump, if it was you would have problems all the time.

Has the car been serviced? I can only think of

- Dirty Mass Air Flow sensor
- Dirty Intake Air Temperature sensor
- Bad Engine Coolant Temperature sensor
- Low engine coolant causing the ECT to not read properly during the first start.
- Bad thermostat (stuck open) Have you noticed it taking more time to reach normal temp?
- MAYBE clogged fuel filter

So far those are my possible causes.

Oscar.

"If you don't agree with me I respect you; if I don't agree with you I'm an ignorant? Nice thinking smart guy...

#2392920 - 10/21/11 12:00 PM Re: Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV [Re: MudMoccasin]
BigMerc96 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Stalling at idle can also be a sign of a failing IAC (Idle Air Controller).

1997 Town Car Cartier ~114k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
I've read a lot of threads on CVN, and this one is probably the worst.

#2392997 - 10/21/11 03:33 PM Re: Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV [Re: olopezm]
MudMoccasin Offline
Rookie

And it happens only in reverse or you notice it happening at that moment because you have to get it out from the drive way? It happens everytime you use reverse or only during cold startups?

Oscar.

Only during cold startups. On a day when the sun is out, everything works fine. On cold days/nights it will happen in reverse as well as drive. :-(

#2393134 - 10/21/11 09:10 PM Re: Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV [Re: MudMoccasin]
olopezm Offline

Originally Posted By: BigMerc96

That would be a good advice if it dies at all times and idles fine when stepping on the gas, which is not his problem.

Originally Posted By: MudMoccasin

Only during cold startups. On a day when the sun is out, everything works fine. On cold days/nights it will happen in reverse as well as drive. :-(

I would suspect there might be something wrong with the IAT, ECT or maybe a bad thermostat.

I had the very same problem with my Town Car and turned out to be the thermostat had broken and coolant kept flowing all the time. The ECT reading would change suddenly between the moment it was in contact with coolant and the moment before to that and caused the same hesitation.

If you have a live stream data capable scanner check both sensor readings at ambient temperature and the reading should be (nearly) the same; if you don't you can measure resistance across each sensor terminals and compare them with the attached table.

Oscar

Attachments
ECT.jpg

#2393367 - 10/22/11 02:11 PM Re: Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV [Re: olopezm]
MudMoccasin Offline
Rookie

Originally Posted By: BigMerc96

That would be a good advice if it dies at all times and idles fine when stepping on the gas, which is not his problem.

I would suspect there might be something wrong with the IAT, ECT or maybe a bad thermostat.

I had the very same problem with my Town Car and turned out to be the thermostat had broken and coolant kept flowing all the time. The ECT reading would change suddenly between the moment it was in contact with coolant and the moment before to that and caused the same hesitation.

If you have a live stream data capable scanner check both sensor readings at ambient temperature and the reading should be (nearly) the same; if you don't you can measure resistance across each sensor terminals and compare them with the attached table.

Oscar

Funny you should mention that. It seems that every other day I have to refill the antifreeze/coolant reservoir. Have no clue where it all goes or drains to. Temperature runs normal for the most part but prior to adding coolant/antifreeze after discovering that the reservoir is empty, it is slightly higher than usual. Needle is just short of the red area.
Not to throw a curveball into this evaluation, but coincidentally my heater doesn't begin to emit hot air until I am halfway to work and the one day this week in which it was very warm outside and necessitated the use of my AC, there was no chill coming from it whatsoever until I was less than a block from my destination. Maybe this delayed function of my climate control can narrow down the problem at hand. Now the problem is coming up with the $$$ to get it all fixed. :-(
Thanks so much for the feedback!!!

#2393529 - 10/22/11 10:34 PM Re: Engine cuts off when put in reverse on 1996 FCV [Re: MudMoccasin]
olopezm Offline

You're very welcome!

If your heater doesn't seems to blow like before I would suspect the thermostat is bad. If that's the case it could be causing the hesitation like I said before.

It's a cheap part and doesn't takes much to replace; you only need to partially drain the coolant and 11mm socket. If it hasn't been done in a long time it might be a good idea to get a new t-stat gasket (AFAIK new stats don't come with it, at least not around here). Make sure you don't over tighten the bolts 15 lb-ft is enough.

If your not feeling like it, you might want to have it replaced at the shop along with the coolant if it hasn't been done. They should be able to pressurize the system to find out any leaks but I'm pretty sure you won't need it and I would put my money on the thermostat wink.

Oscar.

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
14 registered (124neta, 2000TownCar, 09mnsp, Benno, a_d_a_m, AlexPanther, 1 invisible), 77 Guests and 139 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
road_pizza 290
a_d_a_m 257
Chicago2VP71 204
Moby_Vic 196
BigMerc96 194
Ezbok58a 172
aknox077 152
BigNSlow 135
Chaplian 119
ponyguy 118
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!