Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2398011 - 10/30/11 12:19 PM Broken connection to defroster
j5689 Offline
Climber

Loc: Bowie, Maryland, U.S.
One of the welds/solder connections where the defroster harness wire connects to the red area on the rear windshield is broken off.

How should I repair this if possible?

Links
#2398033 - 10/30/11 12:50 PM Re: Broken connection to defroster [Re: j5689]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Da Governator
Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Replacement terminal kit;
4F1Z-14421-AA

If you need to repair any of the defroster grid lines as well, this p/n is for the motorcraft defroster repair conductive paint;
PM-11

Procedure:

Originally Posted By: TSB 04-24-05
SOLDER METHOD OF LEAD TERMINAL Use terminal type A (Figure 2) for all tab locations
except on the Focus vehicle line. For the Focus,
NOTE use type B (Figure 3).
THE REAR WINDOW MUST BE AT A MINIMUM
OF 60 F (16 C) BEFORE A REPAIR IS MADE.
PLACE PROTECTIVE COVERING OVER THE
PACKAGE TRAY AS NECESSARY.
The new terminal will cover the original terminal
location, but must be placed so that the new
terminal conductive areas will be placed on a good
conductive base. This area should be cleaned with
steel wool or an abrasive pad to remove grime from
the buss-bar. The area should then be cleaned with
Ultra Clear Spray Glass Cleaner, ZC-23, or
equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M14P5-A
to remove all dirt, wax, grease, oil or other foreign
matter. It is important that the repair area be clean
and dry and appear metallic. Depending on the
buss-bar condition, rigorous polishing with steel
wool may be required. Please note that the entire
buss-bar may be cleaned to improve appearance.

CAUTION
= DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF FLAME TORCH OR FLAME HEATED SOLDERING GUN FOR THIS PROCEDURE. TESTING INDICATED INADEQUATE HEAT GENERATION AT THE TIP AND THE EXHAUST HEAT CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO PLASTIC TRIM PARTS IN THE AREA. USE ONLY AN ELECTRIC SOLDERING GUN WITH 100 WATTS OR MORE OF POWER. BEFORE USING THE SOLDERING GUN, BE
SURE TO MELT A SMALL AMOUNT OF ROSIN CORE SOLDER TO THE TIP. THE SOLDER WILL ASSIST IN ACHIEVING BETTER HEAT TRANSFER FROM THE SOLDERING GUN TIP TO THE NEW TERMINAL.

The new terminal has pre-applied solder, flux and temperature sensitive paint. The paint provides a visual indication when the terminal has reached the proper temperature to melt the solder on the terminal. When the proper temperature is achieved the temperature paint will liquefy and change color.

SOLDER METHOD OF LEAD TERMINAL Use terminal type A (Figure 2) for all tab locations
except on the Focus vehicle line. For the Focus, use type B (Figure 3).

NOTE: DEPENDING ON THE ORIGINAL TERMINAL LOCATION, AND WHETHER THE TERMINAL IS
COVERED BY PILLAR TRIM, WILL DETERMINE WHERE TO LOCATE THE NEW TERMINAL. SOME GRID LINE BUSS-BARS MAY ONLY ALLOW THE PLACEMENT OF THE TERMINAL ABOVE OR BELOW THE ORIGINAL TAB LOCATION DUE TO SPACE LIMITATIONS, BUT FOR MOST VEHICLE APPLICATIONS THE REPLACEMENT TAB LOCATION WILL COVER THE ORIGINAL TAB LOCATION BUT STILL ALLOW THE REPLACEMENT TAB TO ATTACH TO THE BUSS-BAR ON GOOD CONDUCTIVE MATERIAL.

1. Place the replacement terminal over the original tab location making sure the conductive areas of the terminal will be on a good conductive area. Do not place the terminal tab foot on the original location which does not have conductive material (figure 4).

2. Hold the terminal in place with an item such as regular lead pencil at a 90 degree angle from the terminal. (Terminal type B can be held in place with tape.) (Holding at other than a 90 degree angle may allow the terminal to slip when the solder liquefies).

3. Place the soldering gun tip on the top of the terminal but not on the painted areas of the tab. Energize the soldering gun and watch for the painted area of the terminal to liquefy and change color. The paint should liquefy in approximately 25-45 seconds after heating. As soon as the paint color completely changes on either side of the terminal, de-energize the soldering gun and continue to hold the terminal in place with the soldering gun and pencil for an additional thirty (30) seconds.

4. Remove the soldering gun and pencil from the terminal. The terminal should be allowed to cool for another two (2) minutes before the wiring lead is attached to the terminal

5. Attach the electrical lead connection to this terminal, turn on the rear defroster, and verify operation.

RIP 2vmodular

#2398049 - 10/30/11 01:16 PM Re: Broken connection to defroster [Re: j5689]
ponyguy Offline

Poobah

Loc: Oswego, IL
Originally Posted By: j5689
How should I repair this if possible?

"There's an app for that..."

..... biggrin

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation...

So, I read the rules. Now I'm even more confused.

My transportation sources:
1972 Green Schwinn Speedster, 1984 Red Mustang V-6, 2004 Gold Ash GMQ LS Ultimate Edition, 2004 Black Ranger XLT Flareside.

#2398105 - 10/30/11 02:25 PM Re: Broken connection to defroster [Re: j5689]
j5689 Offline
Climber

Wow, interestingly easy, if I actually knew how to solder or knew anybody else that did

#2398114 - 10/30/11 02:36 PM Re: Broken connection to defroster [Re: j5689]
interceptor1985 Offline
Poobah

Loc: OREGON
Get an iron and solder and practice on some junk electronics, if you got a steady hand and a good eye for detail its not hard to learn...And it is a invaluable skill.

#2398137 - 10/30/11 03:19 PM Re: Broken connection to defroster [Re: j5689]
j5689 Offline
Climber

I got a good eye for detail for sure but I have a condition that makes my fine motor skills kind of bad so I'm not sure about the steady hand part. Although this doesn't really look like precision work like soldering on PCBs from what I gather

#2398271 - 10/30/11 07:13 PM Re: Broken connection to defroster [Re: j5689]
larryo340 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Long Island
No soldering neccessary..

I used the kit below to reinstall the defroster tab that was ripped off the rear glass by the guys at the car wash on my fathers car with amazing success. It's not cheap, but it works...FWIW I repaired it two years ago and the tab is still in place smile

http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2000.htm

MOD List for MGM
...Marquis sold frown

#2398286 - 10/30/11 07:32 PM Re: Broken connection to defroster [Re: larryo340]
j5689 Offline
Climber

That seems a lot easier to use but it's also around twice the price. I think I'll wait till I have a consistent income to get it.

Do these things only affect the area they're near or if there's one down, does that affect the entire performance of the rear window defroster system? I notice there's still two others but I could never really tell if this ones area was particularly affected

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, sanco 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
5 registered (Troutman, tx06p71, V8_ford, Ford2ner, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Chicago2VP71 288
a_d_a_m 258
road_pizza 248
BigMerc96 185
Moby_Vic 183
Ezbok58a 165
aknox077 144
BigNSlow 132
73vwTodd 117
ponyguy 116
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!