Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2494078 - 04/02/12 07:17 PM [9007] SilverStar Ultra vs. CrystalVision Ultra ?
00Marq Offline
n00b

Loc: North FL
One of my Philips Xtreme Powers went out so i decided to grab some new bulbs. The XtremePowers were nice & really bright imo but i could def still see the yellow that i really dislike. (& im not going with HID's/projector's until i get tinted & do some other stuff first- feel i should make that clear before someone says to "Get HID's!" lol)

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra have a nice (virtually) all-white look & are bright, but there's no "blue" look when u look at the bulb (i know, a some ppl think its dumb, blah blah blah, but i dig it), not to mention that ive heard some real bad stuff regarding the Silverstar Ultra lifespan (although i dunno if thats generally true for all 9007 Silverstars or not)

Philips CrystalVision Ultra have a nice, slight blue-look when u look at the bulbs when theyre on, & are decently bright. ('hoping they have a longer lifespan than what ive heard regarding the Silverstars).

So anyway can anyone add any pro's/con's from their experience(s) w/ these bulbs? (CrystalVision Ultras & SilverStar Ultras)

'& plz try to keep any discussion pertaining to these two specific brands because i have new pairs of each right now -
-THANKS!

Links
#2494157 - 04/02/12 09:33 PM Re: [9007] SilverStar Ultra vs. CrystalVision Ultra ? [Re: 00Marq]
TrrR Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Fraser Valley, BC
I've used the Silverstar Ultra's. Over priced and short lived. I was disappointed. Haven't tried the Crystal Vision.

Pro's and Con's - any bulb that is not clear glass is filtering part of the spectrum out, resulting in less light. Period.

Bulb designers have squeezed all the lumens you're going to get out of a tungsten filament. You can fill the bulb with exotic gases like Yak Farts and Angel's Breath and claim more light output but it's basically an optical illusion. Filtering out the yellow end of the spectrum gives a perceived increase in brightness because our vision system (eyes/brain) interprets blue as being brighter.

If you have new pairs of each, why not do a comparison yourself and share with us? Put in one set, drive down a dark road and assess the lighting. Immediately swap the bulbs and drive down the same road and compare.

Another method would be to set up a camera and take a shot of each bulb type lighting the road in front of you. Just make sure the camera position and exposure (ISO, time and aperture) is identical in each shot.

2011 Midnight Blue Pearl Charger Pursuit. 25k miles. Yeah it's got a Hemi. AND a Cabin Air Filter laugh
Immaculate Harvest Gold '99 P73...Gone but not forgotten...

#2494166 - 04/02/12 09:48 PM Re: [9007] SilverStar Ultra vs. CrystalVision Ultra ? [Re: 00Marq]
MercuryMan95 Offline

Loc: South Dakota,
I currently have the Crystal visions installed in my car and seem to think they are ok, not the brightest but far better then some. I do see a bit of yellow but that could just be my slightly yellowing lenses. Been in for about six months with no problems.

Edited by MercuryMan95 (04/02/12 09:50 PM)

95 Mercury Grand Marquis 233,000 Miles. burning oil. sold
97 Mercury Grand Marquis 148,000 Miles. digi dash, leather, cheap 3 gauge pod. Running Ok. ported plenum, pi intake, H-Pipe with 2 1/2 inch Thrush Weldeds dumped at the axle, Energy Suspension Poly sway bar links at rear, and poly trailing are bushing.
95 Chrysler Concorde 3.5l SOHC V6 255hp 249,000 miles KIA. Thrown rod..
92 Isuzu Rodeo XS 4x4 3.1l V6 5 speed
Any tool when dropped, will roll into the least accessible corner of the workshop.
- Anthony's Law of the Workshop

#2494236 - 04/02/12 11:42 PM Re: [9007] SilverStar Ultra vs. CrystalVision Ultra ? [Re: 00Marq]
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: UTL
I have 55W 5000k from DDM, aimed them low, never been flashed...

The single beam can be had for pretty inexpensively.

Moderator:  2vmodular, dRock96Marquis, sanco 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
15 registered (09mnsp, Chsecar, DES, 2007CrownVic, Bangster, 2 invisible), 80 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Chicago2VP71 272
Ezbok58a 171
BigMerc96 158
KayTar 150
BlackVic_P71 129
121ak 127
road_pizza 123
a_d_a_m 113
BigNSlow 111
Bangster 99
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!