Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2592545 - 09/07/12 09:08 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: 2004_p71]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
Originally Posted By: 2004_p71
Originally Posted By: Ezbok58a
For him to be at 13.9 with a blower, and my car to be at 14.3 with basic bolt-ons (the exhaust is the only thing I consider not a bolt on) thers something that is off here.

well drag racing is an art and you need the drivetrain to get the best out of it.
he might have the power but the rest isnt there

There's something that's missing there. Although for drag racing an automatic is relatively simple. Keep OD off, and don't redlight. smile

Links
#2592548 - 09/07/12 09:14 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: 2004_p71]
Captain_Slow Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: The People's Republic Of Ann A...
For him to be at 13.9 with a blower, and my car to be at 14.3 with basic bolt-ons (the exhaust is the only thing I consider not a bolt on) thers something that is off here.

well drag racing is an art and you need the drivetrain to get the best out of it.
he might have the power but the rest isnt there

Backwards. He's got the drivetrain (high stall converter, gears) for an automatic. A jmod might help a bit, but not much.

With a 96 mph trap, the power isn't there.

Member of the 4.6 Mafia

#2592560 - 09/07/12 09:28 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: Ezbok58a]
2004_p71 Offline

no replacement for displacement
Posting Addict

Loc: Quebec Canada

There's something that's missing there. Although for drag racing an automatic is relatively simple. Keep OD off, and don't redlight. smile

Lol true I tend to compare how many passes it took me to launch properly and get better times .
the same car went from 15.0 to 14.0 because I did better during my 60' and shifting.

Best time 13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'
Hunting for flat 12's in 2023 !

#2592561 - 09/07/12 09:29 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: Ezbok58a]
ajdereicup Offline
13 inches of pure joy
Poobah

Loc: Lombard Il
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
Well I don't know your build but I'm fairly certain that car doesn't have the stock tb or maf. I'm not sure what intake manifold you gave but I'm sure that's not a problem. Exhaust manifolds may be a restriction but not ab extreme one. I really dont know...

This is what the guy said about his car when I bought it

2.1 Big Bore
Custom Tuned by Lidio at Alternative Performace
Ford Racing 3.73 Posi
T.C.T. 2400 Stall Converter
Magna Flow Exhaust
Running about 9psi non intercooled, 60lb injectors,
3" intake tube, stock MAF and throttle body. It
dynoed out at 345 rwhp 360 rwtq
stock exhaust manifolds

Originally Posted By: Captain_Slow
What s/c kit was put into your car?

I'd be highly suspect of anyone who spent thousands of dollars on an FI setup but couldn't be bothered to spend another few hundred on a solid aftermarket TB.

If you can't get an intercooler, water/meth injection will help considerably. It's effectively a chemical intercooler. You'll also need a dyno tune from someone who knows what they're doing. (Lonnie ftw!)

FWIW, everyone here will ignore me, but 1/4 mile trap speed is a much better indication of how fast a car is than it's ET. Your car is trapping a bit on the slow side for it's ET (14 @ 98-102 is about what I'd expect based on cars I've driven/seen/whatevered). The gears and stall are helping your launch but don't do much for top end.

The new mustangs trap around 109-112 depending on model/weight/etc.

I was debating over methanol injection but don't want to have to keep refilling it because it is my DD in the summer.

My launches kind of suck because I don't get enough traction. I always slip at least a little it seems sometimes enough I have to let off.

What does OD do when racing if you leave it on? Does it really affect it that much? I have never taken it off whenever I've driven and I've only been to the strip 2 times so far to actually race and the OD never even crossed my mind. But then again I was nervous the first time and ended up doing a burnout in reverse 2 times:P
Thats way too much typing. AJ gets a pass because he only gets to do it once a day.

#2592563 - 09/07/12 09:31 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: Captain_Slow]
2004_p71 Offline

Posting Addict

Backwards. He's got the drivetrain (high stall converter, gears) for an automatic. A jmod might help a bit, but not much.

With a 96 mph trap, the power isn't there.

He got the power

I have 280 hp but 360 lbtq and we both ran similar times and trap speed.
he has around the 350 hp / tq mark.
he should be able to pull 100 mph runs with this much hp

#2592567 - 09/07/12 09:33 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: BrianD93]
ajdereicup Offline
13 inches of pure joy
Poobah

Maybe the altitude has something to do with it? Isn't higher up the air less dense and lower down the air more dense?
Thats way too much typing. AJ gets a pass because he only gets to do it once a day.

#2592570 - 09/07/12 09:39 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: BrianD93]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Altitude and sea level distances do play a role, you'd perform best if the inlet air temp isn't stupid hot. Hot air + supercharger = heatsoak which will kill your times.

As example:

I ran a best of 14.3 in Feb with the outside temp at 38.

I then ran in June with the outside temp of 89 +70% humidity a best of 14.7

Same track, same mods...but the temp killed it.

Edited by Ezbok58a (09/07/12 09:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Sea level, Seals have nothing to do with it

#2592581 - 09/07/12 09:54 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: BrianD93]
ajdereicup Offline
13 inches of pure joy
Poobah

Yeah that's the weird thing. Me and my dad were running in the lower 14s all day then all of a sudden out of nowhere my dad gets a 13.99. And we were hot lapping it just playing around having fun.

#2592583 - 09/07/12 09:58 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: BrianD93]
2004_p71 Offline

Posting Addict

post your time slips if you can it will tell more abouth your car .

#2592608 - 09/07/12 10:22 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: ajdereicup]
Captain_Slow Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: ajdereicup

3" intake tube, stock MAF and throttle body.

That cannot possibly be true. Stock MAF will max out way below the stated power.

You might want to take a set of calipers to your TB and measure it, along with getting the part number on the MAF and looking it up. Would be worth knowing anyway.

Member of the 4.6 Mafia

#2592611 - 09/07/12 10:23 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: ajdereicup]
prodigalson Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH USA
Originally Posted By: ajdereicup

What does OD do when racing if you leave it on? Does it really affect it that much? I have never taken it off whenever I've driven and I've only been to the strip 2 times so far to actually race and the OD never even crossed my mind. But then again I was nervous the first time and ended up doing a burnout in reverse 2 times:P

If you do it right, it does nothing. But if you need get out of the throttle midtrack it might upshift prematurely and burn up the OD band. OD is the only gear in these transmissions that engages with a drum and band instead of a clutch. Turning off the OD switch tell tells the trans module not to engage the OD servo so you stay in third until you hit your limiters. High gears like 2.73 won't even hit third before crossing the line. It's a safety feature and a good habit to turn it off at the track in case you get into trouble. I turn mine off maybe every 4/5 times or every time I remember.

#2592614 - 09/07/12 10:24 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: BrianD93]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Iirc the intake setup on his car is ridiculously long as well. No idea if that'd help/hurt or do nothing of importance.

#2592616 - 09/07/12 10:25 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: BrianD93]
CameronVic Offline
Coolest guy on CVN
Poobah

Loc: Middle TN
My only point is that a blower only panther, or even with some supporting mods, is going to get walked by the slightestly modded coyote. Modded to me means basic bolt ons (to include a correct tire because it's pissing in the wind if you have mods and a horrible compound street tire).
2002 LX sport, marauder interior

#2592620 - 09/07/12 10:29 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: BrianD93]
Captain_Slow Offline
Over the Hill

I completely agree with you on that cameron.

But a properly done blower panther, with full supporting mods, etc.... different story I'd think.

With a 2.73 open diff, NPI engine, basic bolt ons I can still occasionally spin my 245 width summer tires. Throw another 150 hp on top of that and you should have some serious rubber to go with it.

Member of the 4.6 Mafia

#2592624 - 09/07/12 10:32 PM Re: 5.0 Coyote Motor [Re: Captain_Slow]
ajdereicup Offline
13 inches of pure joy
Poobah

post your time slips if you can it will tell more abouth your car .

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2566278#Post2566278

I have the 2 best ones from that day posted on the last post on it. If you can't read it let me know and I can type it up. Or type up all of them if it'll help because now I'm really wondering whats up with my car.

That cannot possibly be true. Stock MAF will max out way below the stated power.

You might want to take a set of calipers to your TB and measure it, along with getting the part number on the MAF and looking it up. Would be worth knowing anyway.

Do you think they may have swapped different ones on at the dyno because the guy didn't have aftermarket ones then he just put the stock ones back on which is ending up choking the power?

Ok good to know its just a safety precaution.

Yeah the intake starts at the drivers side headlight goes over the radiator to the passenger side then up to the firewall almost and into the blower so I'd say its a little long lol

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
2 registered (BlackNFast, MedicMutt), 81 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!