Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26162 - 11/09/02 01:19 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
ULVER Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Atlanta, Ga..
SYNERLEC is Royal Purple propriety additive, which causes surface conditioning, of metals. It mirrors rough surface blemishes, allowing for less friction. That in turn gains H/P, reduces heat, and prolongs the life of the engine. What they told me! [Big Grin]

#26163 - 11/09/02 09:11 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
Wolf_Knight Offline
Rookie

quote:
This is 70% to 80% group4 synthetic
I stand corrected on this. I did some further research, and from what I've found out, "synthetic aliphatic hydrocarbons" are, in-fact, polyalphaolefins (PAOs). I've never heard of them being referred to as such before, but now I know. At any rate, I admit my error in assuming that Havoline "Synthetic" didn't contain any PAOs in its basestock.

quote:
5% to 10% group5 synthetic
Um, not so fast... From what I learned, carboxylic acid is a weak, naturally-occuring (organic) acid, and that it's used as a corrosion inhibitor in extended-life antifreezes like Dex-Cool. Until I learn more about alkyl carboxylic acid esters, I won't agree that they have any kind of lubricating properties.

For now, I'm guessing that they serve the same role as a corrosion inhibitor, albeit chemically engineered for use in the engine and not the cooling system.

quote:
1% to 5% group3 "synthetic" refined oil
No argument there.

quote:
3% to 9% group2+ refined oil
Again, no argument there.

quote:
1% to 5% of ???? maybe this is VI?
Yup. It's definitely a polymer, so it has to be a VI improver.

quote:
Bottom line, it is 75% to 90% true synthetic.
More like 70-80% to me. That is, until I learn more.

quote:
Even mobil1 has some regular refined oil in it because that's what they use to deliver their additive packages.
Can you please prove that statement?

quote:
The only thing that bothers me is this is Oct 2000 info and they may have changed since then.
Maybe, but as far as I know, that's the most current MSDS for Havoline "Synthetic."

It should be interesting to find out more about all of this, regardless.

Oh, yeah. One other thing... Call me nitpicky, but I still don't consider it a bona-fide synthetic oil. :-p

Don't construe it as snobbery, though. Use the motor oil you feel is best for your car. I'm not going to pontificate on what I feel you "should" use, and have no right to.

#26164 - 11/09/02 09:40 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
impala_sc Offline
Climber

Loc: Clemson, SC
quote:
Use the motor oil you feel is best for your car. I'm not going to pontificate on what I feel you "should" use, and have no right to.
I agree 100%

quote:
Can you please prove that statement?

Actually no, I cannot prove it. I am repeating info from the internet that I stored in the back of my brain. It very well could be a false statement, but it makes sense and I'm sure I read that somewhere.

quote:
Um, not so fast...
I think an "ester" is a group V synthetic lubricant. No? I think they have both lubricating properites AND very good cleaning properties. I don't know about corrosion prevention, but I'll take your word for it.

I don't mean to imply this is as good as Mobil1 or any other Group4 based synthetic. But at $3.40 per quart I'll be happy with 70%-80% PAO.

As for the 2000 info, that was for their API SJ/ISLAC GF2 formula. They most likely changed the formual for API SL/ILSAC GF3 and could have quit using PAO. I just think if they did that they would have had to update their MSDS, no?

This synthetic oil crap is much more vague than it needs to be no thanks to Castrol, their lawyers, and a stupid judge. [grrr]

#26165 - 11/09/02 09:47 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
Chris Offline

Endless burnout
Over the Hill

Loc: Plumas lake, CA
And in english all this means what?? that its ok to melt Crisco in the engine and go to the track????? [Confused]

Whole lotta crap up there to confuse Albert freakin' Einstien, now I'm afraid to change my oil..........

[ November 09, 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Chris ]

It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try and pass them.
2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
1966 Buick Riviera
1987 Cadillac El Dorado

#26166 - 11/09/02 10:36 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
Wolf_Knight Offline
Rookie

quote:
Actually no, I cannot prove it. I am repeating info from the internet that I stored in the back of my brain. It very well could be a false statement, but it makes sense and I'm sure I read that somewhere.
No biggie. If you ever come across it, though, don't hesitate to show it to me. I'm interested in seeing proof of this if it's true.

quote:
I think an "ester" is a group V synthetic lubricant. No?
I can't really say. The Exxon Petroleum Encyclopaedia has this to say about esters:

"Ester" Defined

Sure sounds like alkyl carboxylic acid ester falls under that definition, but its actual use is still a mystery until we can find out more. I still think it's a corrosion inhibitor based upon my knowledge of what carboxylic acid is used for in Dex-Cool.

quote:
I think they have both lubricating properites AND very good cleaning properties. I don't know about corrosion prevention, but I'll take your word for it.
You shouldn't. We both don't seem very sure on this, so I expect you to take my words with a grain of salt. :-P

quote:
I don't mean to imply this is as good as Mobil1 or any other Group4 based synthetic. But at $3.40 per quart I'll be happy with 70%-80% PAO.
No offense taken. I personally think that Havoline "Synthetic" is an outright bargain. For the record, though, I use AMSOil. :-)

I know... The quotes seem obnoxious, but don't take offense to them. It's merely an expression of my opinion, and nothing more.

quote:
As for the 2000 info, that was for their API SJ/ISLAC GF2 formula. They most likely changed the formual for API SL/ILSAC GF3 and could have quit using PAO. I just think if they did that they would have had to update their MSDS, no?
Perhaps.

quote:
This synthetic oil crap is much more vague than it needs to be no thanks to Castrol, their lawyers, and a stupid judge. [grrr]
Heh... I couldn't agree with you more. The confusion is easily remedied by a few minutes of product research, though.

#26167 - 11/09/02 10:37 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
Wolf_Knight Offline
Rookie

quote:
Originally posted by Chris:
And in english all this means what?? that its ok to melt Crisco in the engine and go to the track????? [Confused]

Whole lotta crap up there to confuse Albert freakin' Einstien, now I'm afraid to change my oil..........

Um... Just use anything with a weight rating of 5w30, and an API "starburst" on the bottle, and you should be fine.

Is that simple enough for you? :-D

#26168 - 11/10/02 05:36 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
Chris Offline

Endless burnout
Over the Hill

Loc: Plumas lake, CA
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf Knight:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris:

Um... Just use anything with a weight rating of 5w30, and an API "starburst" on the bottle, and you should be fine.

Is that simple enough for you? :-D

Works for me wolf, thanks [Smile]

It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try and pass them.
2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
1966 Buick Riviera
1987 Cadillac El Dorado

#26169 - 11/10/02 09:49 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
1997cvp71 Offline
n00b

I would rather **** in my engine thatn use royal purple. It is claims to lower oil temp but this is only because it does not a good conductor of heat and this fact causes problems in high performance applications
Autolite 103 plugs
Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Transgo shift kit
3.73 gears
8 clutch Trak-Loc
Gatorback belt
Performace Friction carbon metalic brake pads
16.752 @ 81.832 MPH (air temp 87F)

#26170 - 11/11/02 10:18 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
AODE Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Ohio
I like the color. Did you also know royal purple reduces emmisions?
450 Lbs Torque

#26171 - 11/11/02 11:43 PM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
ULVER Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Atlanta, Ga..
Hey 1997- [Bullsh*t] If Royal Purple can't handle "high performance application", we are all in a lot of probs. It's used in a lot of nuclear power plants! [Cool]

#26172 - 11/12/02 12:14 AM Re: Royal Purple Motor Oil
mesopotamis Offline
n00b

... and mobil one used in spacecraft [Big Grin]

I normally stick with mobil one in cars I care about, as its proven to be one of the best. Its sold everywhere, its got a great reputation, its fully synthetic, and its not terrably expensive.

But honestly in a *bone stock* 4.6 driven by gramps, you can use any approved oil. From wallyworlds supertech, to the ricers redline, as long as its changed every 3000 miles with a new filter, it wont make much of a difference. This is assuming its being driven in normal conditions.

Oils not magical. Its completely overblown in importance(as in grade,type,ect). Mostly because any idiot that can spin a rench can change oil without and major problums [Roll Eyes] .

Just keep it fresh,clean,changed often, and your engine will be happy as long as its not abused.

Now in turbocharged or supercharged or really hot worked over engines engines. Its better to have a quality *real* synthetic oil. Even then its not going to make a really big difference if its changed often and street driven.

IMHO [Big Grin]

[ November 12, 2002, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: mesopotamis ]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KayTar, RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
4 registered (RipWixomAssembly, LordAeneas, Scuba_Steve, 1 invisible), 118 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!