Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#262968 - 10/11/03 10:39 PM No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
2001 GM LS Offline

Okay, so call me late for dinner.. I just noticed my 2001 GM has no lock mechanism key hole thing in the right passenger's front door. First car I've ever owned that didn't have a key hole on the right side.

Is this SOP for all recent vintage CV/GM/Ms or what.. I guess they figure since the car has a keyless remote entry system and you always have your fob with you, so if you walk up to the right side of the car, like if you want to unlock the door to let your passenger in first (or is chivalry totally dead..) .. before you go around to the driver's side to get in, you're just gonna press the fob button and unlock the front two doors, or press it twice and unlock all four doors, and not stick a key in the lock to do it..

Any other car mfrs do it this way? Any other vehicles that Ford makes have this uhh.. feature.. why did they do this? Does it save them a couple ounces so they can meet CAFE standards and sell a thousand more SUVs??..

And before anyone comes back with a snappy retort..

2001 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate - 44k miles, digital dash (ugh), fully loaded double meat and cheese..

Links
#262969 - 10/11/03 10:56 PM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
CajunCrnVic Offline

Climber

Loc: Southern Louisiana, USA
I remember someone asking about this before. My car dosent have the key hole neither. I also remember someone posting the part number of the door handle on that side with the key hole.

Dustin
Keypad on door (hate it)
Lighted footwells

**Patrol Car**
2010 Crown Vic P71

Deputy Sheriff in SW Louisiana
Master Mason

#262970 - 10/11/03 11:24 PM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
Ronman® Offline
Metroplectic

Loc: MCO
It's called decontenting. '99.5+ GMs don't have one.

#262971 - 10/12/03 03:32 AM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
Kinger87 Offline

Poobah

Loc: Gladstone MI
haha old cars rock, mine has a passenger key hoe.

2003 Grand marquis all stock

#262972 - 10/12/03 04:15 AM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
BoxMan Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Millville, PA
Passenger key hoe? How much did that option cost?

#262973 - 10/12/03 09:28 AM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
Cooper Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Arizona
Quote:

Okay, so call me late for dinner.. I just noticed my 2001 GM has no lock mechanism key hole thing in the right passenger's front door. First car I've ever owned that didn't have a key hole on the right side.

Don't feel bad- I had owned my '02 CV for a few months before someone else pointed out to me that only the driver's door had a key lock on it. I guess we really didn't need the one on the passenger door after all.

#262974 - 10/12/03 10:07 AM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
DoublePrime Offline

Loc: New Jersey
FWIW: I've seen lots of older (1950 and earlier) cars with only one door lock cylinder. This was usually done on the lower-end models as a cost-cutting feature.

#262975 - 10/12/03 11:35 AM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
MPIDan Offline

Then again, why would you need a 2nd keyhole seeing as how we have the wonders of remote keyless entry???

1992 Crown Vic (sold)
133,000mi

#262976 - 10/12/03 03:02 PM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
Marauder Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: PA
Mine also has no key hole.

#262977 - 10/12/03 03:17 PM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
2001 GM LS Offline

Quote:

Then again, why would you need a 2nd keyhole seeing as how we have the wonders of remote keyless entry???

Well you really don't, as long as you have your remote entry fob with you, and why wouldn't you have it with you if it's on your keychain with your ignition key, (which is why I bought a spare fob off eBay for a tiny fraction of what a dealer sells them for..) .. and even if somehow it vanished or its battery went dead, you can always unlock the driver's door with the key and then push the unlock button on the driver's armrest, or get into the car with the button pad above the driver's door handle, if your car has that option, as long as you remember your code..

So you don't really need a key hole on the front passenger's door at all.. just seemed weird to me that they'd delete it on a GM LS.. while the car has all these other things that I never use anyway, like the power adjustable pedals, and the two swivelling lamps in the headliner for the rear passengers..

Now if they'd just redesign the fob a little bit so you have to press the trunk button twice or press and hold it for a second before the trunk pops open..

I was reading a review of some new upscale car soon to come out and it doesn't even have outside door handles at all.

2001 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate - 44k miles, digital dash (ugh), fully loaded double meat and cheese..

#262978 - 10/12/03 07:01 PM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
uwsacf Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Orlando, Florida
My CV doesn't - the new Dodges don't either

Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787

2007 BBB MSRT8
2003 BBB Crown Vic Sport LX
1996 BBB Impala SS
1972 Chrysler Newport

#262979 - 10/12/03 07:46 PM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
jcasa Offline
Rookie

I asked this question several months ago in regard to my 02 GM. I searched, but could not locate the original thread. It has no key hole on the passenger door. I was told that this was mostly a security issue rather than cost cutting...one less key hole to punch out by a thief, which in turn makes the vehicle a bit harder to steal. I priced the parts to add a lock to the passenger door...the cost was well over a hundred dollars. However, you might find a door in a wrecking yard, complete with the parts for considerably less. You'd just need to have the lock rekeyed.

#262980 - 10/12/03 10:48 PM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
2vmodular Offline

Poobah

Loc: New England
yep, removing the passenger door keyhole does raise security of the vehicle to some extent. since the passenger door is usually the side that faces the sidewalk when you park and as a result is the side most likely for a theif to attempt to use an implement such as a screwdriver or dent puller on to force the lock without the key.

you can order the parts to install the lock cylinder on the passenger door from your local ford dealer if needed. but most people with remote keyless entry don't use the lock cylinders to lock & unlock their doors anyways.

Quote:

I asked this question several months ago in regard to my 02 GM. I searched, but could not locate the original thread. It has no key hole on the passenger door. I was told that this was mostly a security issue rather than cost cutting...one less key hole to punch out by a thief, which in turn makes the vehicle a bit harder to steal. I priced the parts to add a lock to the passenger door...the cost was well over a hundred dollars. However, you might find a door in a wrecking yard, complete with the parts for considerably less. You'd just need to have the lock rekeyed.

http://www.p71interceptor.com

#262981 - 10/13/03 04:12 PM Re: No front passenger door lock key hole.. what!?!?..
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
Quote:

Now if they'd just redesign the fob a little bit so you have to press the trunk button twice or press and hold it for a second before the trunk pops open..

Yeah, I agree 1000%. I am always opening the trunk with the keys in my pocket. I taped up the contact so I can't ever open it with the fob, but I still miss it from time to time.

It was like my old Kenwood 6 disc CD changer. The remote had an eject button I always hit that late at night.
63 Falcon 302
82 F-150
97 Mark VIII LSC (RIP)
2017 Escape SE (RIP)
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
2019 Edge SEL 2.0 GTDI 8 speed auto

Who's Online
3 registered (Denal, TheShadow, TheBestNeverRest), 66 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!