Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2634709 - 12/03/12 02:55 AM My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan
Big_E Offline

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
Well, the 1997 MGM is gone, sold to a Mercury enthusiast in the North of Holland. Why?

Because I got a once in a lifetime oppertunity to own a low miles Town Car, of which there aren't many here in the Netherlands, let alone in the whole of Europe.

The car was brought to the Netherlands in 2004, to be used at a funeral home to drive around relatives of the person that deceased (when folowing the hearse to the funeral home). It had 46.000 miles on it when it came to Holland. Until May this year, they had drive the odometer all the way to 60.000 miles before they sold it.

I then got a hold of her, and did not had to think long to buy it!

It is the Signature Edition Touring Sedan with the stiffer suspension and the dual exhaust and the black out trim on the bumpers and the partially blacked out grill.

Also, a factory sunroof is there.

The under carriage is flawless, even though it was used during winter times as well with salt on the road. But good maintenance is essential.

Few things I have to fix or already have fixed:

- New upper grill > the old one has some bubbles underneath > new one ordered at Rock Auto.
- Missing tab on rear passenger vents > ordered through Ebay from wrecker.
- Missing mag from Clarion cd changer > found one for 20 bucks and it works super together with the standard Alpine head unit.
- Strange rattle underneath hood that is not coming from the engine. With reving it becomes a bit more louder.
- Check engine Light comes on and give the P0430 code, bad cat or sensor. My shop will investigate further.
- In my country it is per law that all vehicles after december 1997 have to have a fog light on the back, but I need to make it working again and perhaps find a good alternative position for it somewhere else on the back.
- Redo the wiring harness of the front lights, since they were altered big tome to meet Euro specs. I wanna have the cornering lights again, sidemarkers and the blinekrs in the front, as it should be.
- Little oxidation at the front of the underside of the hood, need to deal with that this weekend before it spreads to the top side.
- As you can see in the photos, I have removed the orignal floor mats ot be professionally cleaned. They were right down dirty as heck. The spare ones of the MGM are now in their place for the moment.

Also, underneath the car, I saw this thing situated underneath the area where the trunk is, anyone knows what this is?

I am very happy with it and the stiffer suspension makes it a pleasure to drive anywhere.

I will certainly enjoy this car for years to come.

#2634719 - 12/03/12 03:34 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
MGDriver Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: The Autobahn, Germany
Congratulations on the great find! What a beauty, the blacked out trim looks very clean I like that and 60k is very low for a 99' model. How much did you end up paying for the Town Car if you don't mind me asking?

However the Town Car is actually the most popular Panther to find in Europe and I have seen quite a few of them in the Netherlands. Most of them are stretch limousines to be fair, but your Grand Marquis would certainly be more difficult to find then a Town Car. There is a limousine service even in my neck of the woods who operates a Town Car which however is in very bad condition because the owner just leaves it parked out in the street.
I'm surprised they let you have red turn signals, I have met another Town Car owner from the Netherlands at a local meet and he told me the Dutch authorities made him change to amber. He operates the car as a chauffeured commercial limousine to be fair so that might be difference versus a private car.

Finally got the chance of owning a Crown Vic after 5 years of wanting one, bought an Australian Fairlane instead, something ain't right.
1999 Ford Fairlane AU Ghia 5.0 302 Windsor V8 4-speed auto, 52k miles, my new project car from down under. Progress thread
2003 Audi A6 Avant 2.5 Turbodiesel V6 6-speed manual, 105k miles, my reliable and beloved daily driver.

#2634723 - 12/03/12 03:55 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: MGDriver]
Big_E Offline

Thanks! The car costed me a total of 4700 Euro.

Indeed, there are limos driving around throughout the whole country, but the registry of the Mercury Club Nederland (also Lincoln owners registry), only harbours a 10 to 20 TC's still driving around in private hands of which most of them have like 150-200K miles on them and are not that top of the line anymore. And as you said, also most of them have the euro tail lights, which I really don't like. It does solve the fog light problem though. I think it depends on how these cares came to our country. through the authorized dealer, who is not existing anymore, or through another company.

Truly, it is easier to find a MGM then a TC at the moment.
And the fact that I have found this one with OEM US spec headlights and tail lights, is amazing!

The company that imported the car also was a company, be it a funeral home.

#2634726 - 12/03/12 04:22 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
Quasar Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
P0430 code is usually one of the Cat converters and it might even be the source of your rattle noise if you have a blown out bad converter.

#2634730 - 12/03/12 05:06 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
MGDriver Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: The Autobahn, Germany
Sounds like reasonable price to me. If you don't like the fog light hanging from your rear bumper, I might have a solution for you. It annoyed the crap out of me as well having it stuck underneath the bumper so I purchased a very bright red LED light and wired it into one of the reverse light compartments. European road law requires only one reverse light so I swapped the other one out for the fog light, it looks great you don't even notice. Not sure if that would work for the Town Car but it might be worth looking into if you want to go for a clean look. Here's a crappy photo of the outcome on the Mustang.

Finally got the chance of owning a Crown Vic after 5 years of wanting one, bought an Australian Fairlane instead, something ain't right.
1999 Ford Fairlane AU Ghia 5.0 302 Windsor V8 4-speed auto, 52k miles, my new project car from down under. Progress thread
2003 Audi A6 Avant 2.5 Turbodiesel V6 6-speed manual, 105k miles, my reliable and beloved daily driver.

#2634737 - 12/03/12 06:07 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: MGDriver]
Big_E Offline

Good one on the fog light, will consider that in the near future.

About the cat converter, sounds like a good explanation, the rattling is inconsistent and sometimes its more there then other times. Will visit the shop this afternoon for further investigation, thanks!

#2634760 - 12/03/12 08:01 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
01LXHPP Offline
Climber

Loc: NJ
I liked your old merc, but I don't blame you for selling it to get this towncar. Can't argue with 60k miles and a sunroof

72k miles of squeaks, creaks, rattles and clunks.

#2634784 - 12/03/12 09:33 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
MIAMI-DADE Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Miami-Dade County
Congrats on your low mileage well maintained car.

05 Crown Vic/LX/180K miles
07 Grand Marquis/LS 50K miles
05 Crown Vic [sold]
99 GMQ with HPP [sold] 200K miles
88 Town Car [sold] 320K miles
88 Crown Vic [sold] 230K miles
85 Crown Vic [sold] 215K miles

#2634793 - 12/03/12 09:52 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
CVCobraLX27 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: New York, New York
Rarely see those Touring models anymore...Looks great!
'11 CV LX
Current Rides:
2013 VW Jetta S Auto.
1986 Ford T-Bird 5.0 w. HO Top End / AOD

#2634821 - 12/03/12 11:02 AM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
CNGInterceptor Offline
4-door Cobra
Grand Poobah

Loc: Rhode Island
Very clean car! Congratulations!
Supercharged 4.6L DOHC with bolt-ons | T56 6-speed manual transmission | Because racecar

Other vehicles:
1972 Ford Galaxie 500

#2634911 - 12/03/12 02:17 PM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
coqui5 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Connecticut
Very nice ride, Congrats!!!!

#2634920 - 12/03/12 02:23 PM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
Big_E Offline

Thanks guys! Appreciate the compliments! It was hard to see the MGM go, but needed to money to buy this one and two of these land yachts with the roadtax we have to pay here is undoable. Just about 250,- USD a month for the two of them to have them sit in front of my house. Exluding insurance and gas money that is.

Btw; you guys won't believe what this specific model costed back in the days. The purchase price the insurance is using to determine my insurance fee, is 77.500 USD. Can't believe I bought it for just over 5.800 USD.

Went to the shop to have the code read, and indeed, one bad cat converter. My shop is going to order a new one.

The rattle was the serpentine belt. I replaced the pulley above the belt tensioner that was worn out, but did not bother to replace the belt. And I should have known, always replace the belt as well while you're at it.

So for now, just oiled it a bit until the new belt comes in.

#2635089 - 12/03/12 06:51 PM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
ajdereicup Offline
13 inches of pure joy
Poobah

Loc: Lombard Il
Very nice clean looking car. I'm trying to remember what the black box under your trunk is for. I'm wanting to say something with the air suspension but I think it may be something else. Damn my memory

Proud member of the 86400 Crew
My new ride = Lacoste Observe CA in black and white. REAL leather. How bout dem apples?
Originally Posted By: gplayer
Thats way too much typing. AJ gets a pass because he only gets to do it once a day.

#2635221 - 12/03/12 09:56 PM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: ajdereicup]
01LXHPP Offline
Climber

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: ajdereicup
I'm trying to remember what the black box under your trunk is for. I'm wanting to say something with the air suspension but I think it may be something else. Damn my memory

Its emissions related, I forget what its exactly called. IIRC it has to do with the EVAP system?

72k miles of squeaks, creaks, rattles and clunks.

#2636086 - 12/05/12 03:50 PM Re: My 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan [Re: Big_E]
Ivory Offline

Loc: Michigan
Finally someone got a 98-02, everyone on here thinks they are ugly which makes no sense cause it has sexy curves laugh The 03+ looks just like a grand marquis except way more expensive and plus it doesn't have emblem in the tail lights which I really like. I always wish I got a black one instead of my grandma color but oh well.

Amazing find by the way, mine was almost double that price with a little less miles. I'm pretty sure the touring comes with 3.55s so that's a nice bonus. Any plans for modifications?

2002 Town Car Cartier - Stage 2 Crower Cams, Precision Improved 2500 Stall, MM box, Steeda underdrive pullies, 4.10s with LSD, SW Headers, 2.5 inch cat-back piping with x-pipe and SLP Loudmouths dumped, 70mm BBK throttle body, ADTR ported plenum, 93 octane dyno tune by Lidio, Addco sway bars, Heinous billet control arms, custom aluminum driveshaft.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Tallen 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
1 registered (Chaplian), 49 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Moby_Vic 220
BigMerc96 161
ponyguy 151
Ezbok58a 139
Benno 128
road_pizza 120
73vwTodd 109
a_d_a_m 105
JeffBoudah 95
BlackVic_P71 93
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!