Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1824705 - 07/28/09 12:36 PM Headlight Alignment
Snik Offline
n00b

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Sorry if this has been posted in the past... I searched and could not find it.

How do I adjust the left headlight beam only down? I'll use my garage door to see the beams. Thanks

Links
#1824712 - 07/28/09 12:43 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: Snik]
Rizzo Offline
J-MOD Master
Metroplectic

Loc: Romulus,MI
Well there are only two adjusting screws.

One is for in and out and the other is for up and down .

Add year and model to your sig. It will save you having to answer that in the future.

The Jmod video is done! LINK!

#1824719 - 07/28/09 12:46 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: Rizzo]
Snik Offline
n00b

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Ooops sorry

2003 Crown Vic

#1824970 - 07/28/09 06:25 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: Snik]
jaybird Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: San Jose Ca.
u will need the adjustment tool, I bought mine @ carquest
Iforget what its called now?
2000 CV LX HPP Loaded 3.55 RAR SOLD @ 191k MILES / Modified K&N CAI FIPK w/ Lower Inlet / Magnaflow 12255 Mufflers / KYB Gas A Just Shocks / Rear Coil Spring Conversion / 18" Mustang Fanblades! 1.5" Hubcentric Spacers / Michelin Pilot HXMX M4 235/50/18 Tires / Hawk HPS Brake Pads F&R / SilverStar Light Bulbs

#1827081 - 07/31/09 12:00 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: jaybird]
Bigrick31 Offline

Loc: Nor*Cal
1. Headlights have two spring-loaded adjusting screws, one on the top controlling up and down movement and one on the side controlling left and right movement. on 92 and later models the adjusters are reached from the rear of the headlight assembly and are turned using a small wrench or pliers.

2. There are several methods of adjusting the headlights. The simplest method requires a blank wall 25 feet in front of the vehicle and a level floor.

3. Position masking tape vertically on the wall in reference to the vehicle center line and the center lines of both headlights.

4. Position a horizontal tape line in reference to the center line of all the headlights.

5. adjustment should be made with the vehicle sitting level, the gas tank half full and no unusually heavy load in the vehicle.

6. Starting with the low beam adjustment, position the high intensity zone so it is two inches below the horizontal line and two inches to the side of the headlight vertical line away from oncoming traffic. Adjustment is made by turning the top adjustment screw clockwise to raise the beam and counterclockwise to lower the beam. The adjusting screw on the side should be used in the same manner to move the beam left or right.

7. With the high beams on, the high intensity zone should be vertically centered with the exact center just below the horizontal line. It may not be possible to position the headlight aim exactly for both high and low beams. If a compromise must be made, keep in mind that the low beams are the most used and have the greatest effect on safety.

Edited by Bigrick31 (07/31/09 12:07 PM)

2000 CVPI
Build Log
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2030254&fpart=1
Mods: 87 Jaguar XJS IRS, 2.5" H pipe exhaust with SLP loudmouth II mufflers, 18" dodge charger Police wheels, Steeda Under Drive pulleys, Air ride suspension (Lays frame!) One off Lower control arms. Converted AC compressor into an on board air compressor Sims trim black pain Custom air brushing on trunk lid 5% tint in the back 20% in front.

#1827186 - 07/31/09 02:42 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: Bigrick31]
GaryinVT Offline
Over the Hill

Loc:
I use a tiny 4mm box wrench that I got in a Craftsman Mini-Wrench Pack. Using pliers would suck, and tear up the hex head.

#2195821 - 12/08/10 12:47 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: GaryinVT]
Ponyguy Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Oswego, IL
 Originally Posted By: GaryinVT
Using pliers would suck, and tear up the hex head.

PLEASE don't even give anyone that idea! Using pliers on a hex head is cruel and unusual punishment... \:\(

So, I read the rules. Now I'm even more confused.

My transportation sources:
1972 Green Schwinn Speedster;
1984 Canyon Red Mustang V-6;
2004 Gold Ash GMQ LS Ultimate Edition, (Traded away, sadly);
2018 Metallic Blue Fusion Platinum Hybrid Energie Edition.

#2195864 - 12/08/10 02:15 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: Ponyguy]
coldfusion11 Offline
n00b pwn
Over the Hill

Loc: Rochester Hills, MI
 Originally Posted By: ponyguy
 Originally Posted By: GaryinVT
Using pliers would suck, and tear up the hex head.

PLEASE don't even give anyone that idea! Using pliers on a hex head is cruel and unusual punishment... \:\(

x78437234782334 on that. Only should be used when ABSOLUTE necessary. Which is usually when someone else had used pliers and rounded off the nut.
Power/Suspension Mods: ADTR P&P upper plenum, dual exhaust and flowmaster original 40's/Marauder Tips turbo mufflers and dumps, FRPP 3.55 Tlock, Lonnie at BOC Tune, Marauder MAF and Box w/ '04 Zip tube, IAS rear shocks, HPP 21mm rear bar, ENS rear poly kit, ADDCO STOCK front sway bar, J-Mod by Rizzo...
Appearance/Sound Mods: Color match grill surround, Hella 500's behind grill, clear corners with corner light turn signal mod w/ 168 brighter bulbs, black grained mirror caps, Pioneer HU with two kicker L7 ported on a Hifonics HFI2000D at 2000w rms, BH1976's famous headlight wiring harness, LED reverse bulbs, 80w/100w headlight bulbs...

#2196166 - 12/09/10 01:39 AM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: coldfusion11]
ClassBuddy Offline
Rookie

Loc: US
My 09 mgm has had headlight problems from day one. Ford can't get them align right, so they say that is the way they are suppose to be. I wrote Ford, & they said they would look into it. I guess they are still looking into it.

The problem is that they lo beams are great, but the hi beams are useless. All they seam to do is shine up into the sky & make the road look foggy. You can actually see farther down the road with the lo beams. But Ford doesn't seem to care, as so far they have done nothing to fix it.

#2196201 - 12/09/10 05:18 AM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: ClassBuddy]
Summerwind Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Iowa, Linn CO
 Originally Posted By: ClassBuddy
My 09 mgm has had headlight problems from day one. Ford can't get them align right, so they say that is the way they are suppose to be. I wrote Ford, & they said they would look into it. I guess they are still looking into it.

The problem is that they lo beams are great, but the hi beams are useless. All they seam to do is shine up into the sky & make the road look foggy. You can actually see farther down the road with the lo beams. But Ford doesn't seem to care, as so far they have done nothing to fix it.

Class, sorry to hear that.. \:\( My '08 GMQ has some of the best headlights on a car that I have had..low beams go out well, the first time I hit the high beams, I thought I'd lit up a set of arc lamps!!! They go FAR down the road..I was amazed especially for "standard" headlights. I also never get anyone flashing me on low beams, so they must have been adjusted right from the factory. I hope you get yours fixed!!

#2648503 - 01/02/13 01:45 AM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: ClassBuddy]
roadblockp71 Offline
n00b

Loc: Washington, USA

I brought my '02 CVI to Ford just the other day and asked them to adjust my right headlight as it shown down since installed. They managed to raise it a tiny fraction. Today I finally got it to where I wanted it. Ford wasn't that helpful. The tech didn't even put the plastic cover over the radiator in right and closed the hood on it.

*Note: Ground Search and Rescue Equipment Installed*

#2648792 - 01/02/13 07:04 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: roadblockp71]
brownie Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: roadblockp71

I brought my '02 CVI to Ford just the other day and asked them to adjust my right headlight as it shown down since installed. They managed to raise it a tiny fraction. Today I finally got it to where I wanted it. Ford wasn't that helpful. The tech didn't even put the plastic cover over the radiator in right and closed the hood on it.

Sounds like DIY.

Edited by brownie (01/02/13 07:06 PM)
Edit Reason: Change line position

#2649112 - 01/03/13 12:31 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: Snik]
00MGMLS Offline
Climber

Loc: Rhode Island

#2649878 - 01/04/13 10:03 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: 00MGMLS]
PHoganDive Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Mass, USA
Originally Posted By: 00MGMLS

I have that tool...One thing to be careful of with that tool is not to unscrew the adjuster so far you can't get the tool off the end of the stud. The tool is a ratchet, and only goes one way (you flip it over to adjust the other direction). The adjusting stud can get unscrewed close enough to the body panel behind the headlight that you can't get the tool off, without removing the headlight clip, to remove the headlight for extra clearance.
I had this happen on the side of the road at night (when else would you adjust them?), and ended up having to drive home with the tool still attached to the stud, as I couldn't see well enough to undo the headlight clip on the side of the road.

2006 CVPI w/120K, J-Mod, MSD COPs, BOC Tune, American Muscle Wheels, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Duals, 35% tint, UltraGuage, headlight relay harness installed w/ 80/100 watt bulbs.

1996 GMQ 116K miles, Bilstein shocks, otherwise stock (Retired 7/2011)

#2933530 - 11/25/15 02:07 PM Re: Headlight Alignment [Re: Snik]
Consalam_NJ Offline
Rookie

Loc: New Jersey
Update: to adjust the headlight beam up, you turn the top adjustment screw COUNTER-clockwise, not clock-wise. So:

UP = Counter-Clockwise
DOWN = Clock-Wise

Just take your time and it's really very simple to do the adjustment.

2007 CVPI
106K Miles
PA Trooper Car - Retired
Just Getting Started...

18" Fan Blades with 255/45's all around
Rockville 2Din with 12"Sub
Explorer Center Console
Bi-Xenon HID's and LED's Everywhere Else
Bumper Tuck
K&N Filter

Future Mods:
Thrush Welded Mufflers with 3" Stainless Polished Tips
Upgraded Lighting Harness
Tint
Badgeless Grill

RIP "Eddie" - 2006 CVPI - May 2017
108k Miles
Former PA Cruiser
Interior/Exterior LED lighting
Rear Bumper Tuck
K&N Filter
Headlight Wiring Harness Mod with 35W HID's
Ford CD Radio Upgrade with Aux Connection / Hands Free
Rampage Center Console

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
2 registered (RF_Overlord, speedfreak), 136 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!