Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2659731 - 01/24/13 08:07 PM Air Spring Deflation
Jazz Offline
n00b

Ford manual states that air springs can be deflated using Tester or equivalent scan tool. Is there a way to deflate the bags without computerized tools?
Thank you for answers.
My car: Grand Marquis 2003 LSE

Grand Marquis LS 92 coupled to Evans 16
Grand Marquis LS 03 Ultimate Edition coupled to Hunter 23.5

Links
#2659749 - 01/24/13 08:48 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
gplayer Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
This is old fashioned, and Im not sure itl work for your car, but when I needed the old air springs deflated on my CVLX, I just switched the air suspension off and drove or let it sit. The switch should be in the trunk, on the inside of the quarter panel, might be hidden under the trunk carpet.

Edited by gplayer (01/24/13 08:50 PM)

2003 Acura Cl Type-S, current DD, 140,000 miles. 6 speed manual (One of ~3750). Pioneer single low profile 10 inch, Pioneer GM5100T.

1970 Chevy C20 Project truck, SBC, 4 speed manual. Go-Fast goodies include: 400 crankshaft, bored .030 over, Vortec heads, Comp Cams XR252HR, hardened pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers, Scat Pro Stock forged connecting rods, Edlebrock Air Gap intake, Holley 650 Carb, Mallory Unilite distributor. Suspension: Front disc brakes with 2.5 inch drop spindles, Hotchkiss shocks, 4 inch drop coils in the rear, 3.73 gears, 265/40/R18 rear tires, and American Racing Torque thrust 18's. 13.9 1/4 mile.

#2659929 - 01/25/13 07:54 AM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
AACoPD05 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Maryland
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00061.html

Everything you could want to know about air suspension.
Mods: 21mm rear sway bar, Marauder head unit, Marauder sub/amp, Ford "premium" two-way door and deck speakers, Curless cure, Ford Focus fog lamps with Marauder head light switch, trunk organizer, short over head console with Homelink.

2001 F250 crew cab, 7.3L Diesel

2022 Explorer Police Interceptor

#2660084 - 01/25/13 02:35 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
LTDteether Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Democratic Rep. of Southpaw
Yup, take a look at the posted article and ground the right pins in the module connector. To deflate, you have to ground the correct spring solenoid valve and the vent solenoid valve at the same time. To inflate, the spring solenoid valve and run the compressor at the same time. If you inflated or deflated the springs individually, you even them out by operating both spring solenoid valves at the same time.

It is kind of fun to do for a couple of cycles but it got old fast when my module was crapped out before I swapped it out.

#2660144 - 01/25/13 04:24 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
Den49 Offline

Loc: Maryland
The easiest way I know of to deflate air bags is to do on purpose what often happens by accident. That is, raise the body of the car with the trunk switch in the ON position until the rear wheels are off the floor. This will cause the bags to vent because the sensor is extended and thinks the body of the car is too high. You may need to also turn the ignition switch to the ON position if the car has not been run for a while. Turn the trunk and ignition switches OFF after the bags deflate. At that point you can remove the solenoids, bags, etc. without them being under pressure.

To reinflate the bags, turn the ignition and trunk swithches ON and SLOWLY lower the car to the ground. The bags will begin to inflate when the car goes below trim level.

The above method is very easy to do with the carlift I have in my garage. I used it to replace the bags on my 1999 CV. However, it may be tricky to do without a lift. That said, if you don't have a lift, you could put the front of the car up on jackstands and have two people operate floor jacks simultaneously to raise and lower the rear. Put the floor jacks on the frame, not the rear axle, and replace the floor jacks with jack stands after the car is raised. Good luck and be careful.

#2660190 - 01/25/13 05:51 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Den49]
Piranah Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Den49
The easiest way I know of to deflate air bags is to do on purpose what often happens by accident. That is, raise the body of the car with the trunk switch in the ON position until the rear wheels are off the floor. This will cause the bags to vent because the sensor is extended and thinks the body of the car is too high. You may need to also turn the ignition switch to the ON position if the car has not been run for a while. Turn the trunk and ignition switches OFF after the bags deflate. At that point you can remove the solenoids, bags, etc. without them being under pressure.

To reinflate the bags, turn the ignition and trunk swithches ON and SLOWLY lower the car to the ground. The bags will begin to inflate when the car goes below trim level.

The above method is very easy to do with the carlift I have in my garage. I used it to replace the bags on my 1999 CV. However, it may be tricky to do without a lift. That said, if you don't have a lift, you could put the front of the car up on jackstands and have two people operate floor jacks simultaneously to raise and lower the rear. Put the floor jacks on the frame, not the rear axle, and replace the floor jacks with jack stands after the car is raised. Good luck and be careful.

Yea, if you dont have a lift dont attempt. You will screw your suspension. Seen it happen too many times.

Former Panthers:
1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
88 LTD Crown Victoria. Fully optioned. Sold.
01 Grand Marquis. Sold
1994 Lincoln Town Car. Gone.

#2660512 - 01/26/13 10:53 AM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Unplug the relay for the compressor in the BJB.
Get in and close door.
Start engine.
The system will detect the additional weight and try to inflate. Since the compressor won't run, when the air bag solenoids open, they will deflate.

This should should work, no?
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#2661018 - 01/27/13 01:33 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
Piranah Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Iowa
Yep, that should work.

Former Panthers:
1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
88 LTD Crown Victoria. Fully optioned. Sold.
01 Grand Marquis. Sold
1994 Lincoln Town Car. Gone.

#2661479 - 01/28/13 05:02 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Piranah]
Jazz Offline
n00b

Wonderfull response. Thank you all. What I did, after taking a good look at my air bags with rubber showing cracks all around, I deflated them by twisting solenoid, pulled them out and threw them in the garbage. At Advanced Auto got two coil springs for $80 and installed them. I never cut DG/LG wire to kill the Check Air Suspension light. It does not bother me.

By the way, I came across air bag problem while I was replacing the complete axle assembly. That went just fine (after 25 hours of work). But that is onother story.

Grand Marquis LS 92 coupled to Evans 16
Grand Marquis LS 03 Ultimate Edition coupled to Hunter 23.5

#2661528 - 01/28/13 07:19 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
LTDteether Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Democratic Rep. of Southpaw
Piranah and RF, I don't think that will work, you have to hit the vent solenoid as well.

OP, if you are going to destructively remove the springs, a sharp knife or some kind of spear is the easiest way to deflate them. Note that you could have installed new air springs for the same price as the poverty coils.

#2661741 - 01/29/13 08:08 AM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: LTDteether]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Originally Posted By: LTDteether
Piranah and RF, I don't think that will work, you have to hit the vent solenoid as well.
Right you are...thanks, man.

#3663978 - 06/16/17 06:15 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
GrandMan Offline
Stranger

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Ok I have a question. What if I'm at the junkyard and I find a sweet set of air springs on a Lincoln Town Car. Only problem they are full of air and the the 2004 Town Car they are on makes it nearly impossible to get your hand up there to turn the solenoid counter clockwise to let the air out. How can I remove the air? I was thinking to take a sawzall and cut the metal so I have more room to grab on to the solenoid to twist it. The only way that looks like you could remove air is to puncture the air bag but that would be pretty stupid.

The junkyard doesn't allow batteries or hooking up a car. So needs to be done without.

#3664042 - 06/16/17 07:47 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Can you smuggle a small lawn tractor battery in your toolbox? Either that or get a 12V battery pack for a radio-controlled model. Cut the wires to the solenoids and trigger them...done and done.

#3664090 - 06/16/17 09:28 PM Re: Air Spring Deflation [Re: Jazz]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
12v drill battery works great for stuff like that. My 12v drill died yeas ago, but I keep its batteries specifically for junkyard use. Small enough to fit in the toolbag, powerful enough to power a window or seat, or pop a trunk. I can't see why it couldn't be used to power a air spring solenoid.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!