Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2692969 - 04/07/13 03:55 AM How to change your power steering fluid (flush)
Greengo Offline
n00b

Loc: Behind You, USA
Turkey basters don't cut it for me. I was inspired by the trans fluid cooler line flush/change for this. So we'll do this via the PS small hose cooler to reservoir.

Your system looks something like this:

You'll end up doing it look like this:

What you'll need:
8mm socket
2-3 qts of Mercon, Mercon V or a ATF that meets requirements for either (typically much, much cheaper!)
12-18 inches of 3/8 black hose
container to catch fluid (2 empty oil qts)

Power steering fluid change! Unmount the reservoir (8mm socket), lower it so the hoses are facing up (to prevent a spill), disconnect the smaller hose (#9 in the diagram above) where it connects to the cooler, disconnect the larger hose (#4) where it connects to the reservoir. Carefully lift it out and drain. Reconnect larger house, attach extra 3/8 hose to cooler and put other end into empty oil quart. Fill reservoir with Mercon fluid and have assistant start car and quickly turn the steering wheel lock to lock while you quickly pour a qt of Merc V in the reservoir. Yell at them to turn car off. Remove full drain qt. Mmm! Frothy. The whole thing literally takes seconds. Do it again. Disconnect drain hose, reconnect smaller reservoir hose to cooler. Top off with 3rd qt. Turn wheel lock to lock 20 times. Double check fluid is on max line. Forget about it for another 100k.

Post notes: I used some orange hand cleaner on a rag to wipe the reservoir clean. Worked really well.

Some of my hoses were leaking. I replaced #9 (the smaller) and didn't push the bigger one all the way on before clamping it. I think the hose had gotten lazy so hopefully it's in a tighter position now if that makes any sense.

Thanks Oscar for the diagram. Thanks Billy or Jacob for the idea inspired by the tranny cooler line bucket flush.

Tags: Power steering, flush, change, ps change, ps flush,

Edited by Greengo (04/07/13 04:01 AM)
Edit Reason: cant get png image to appear

Links
#2693188 - 04/07/13 06:39 PM Re: How to change your power steering fluid (flush) [Re: Greengo]
matlobi Offline
n00b

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Good tips.

I'm going to be doing this soon.

2004 MGM Ultimate - Bone stock, for now.

#2693264 - 04/07/13 09:10 PM Re: How to change your power steering fluid (flush) [Re: Greengo]
Loafy Offline

Loc: Okanagan, British Columbia
I am doing this tomorrow!

Quick question.

Jacking up the front of the car to make the turning easier. I know running a car with a damn near empty Power Steering system is HARD on the pump.

BTW Old power steering fluid stinks like ass. but not as bad as old diff fluid.

#2693305 - 04/07/13 10:27 PM Re: How to change your power steering fluid (flush) [Re: Greengo]
BigMerc96 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
This is the exact method I've always used on my Panthers. I know I've written it up somewhere on here, but you did a much better job. laugh Thanks, hopefully now more people will actually maintain their PS system.

Only bit I have to add is that you can pull the fuse for the fuel pump or pop the fuel shut-off in the trunk. This will keep the engine from starting so you are turning it over slower and with the starter and you can stop it very quickly when the fluid gets low. You'll still need 2 people obviously. I found letting the engine start results in the fluid being pumped too quickly for my liking since I didn't want to let it run totally dry.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~114k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
I've read a lot of threads on CVN, and this one is probably the worst.

#2693424 - 04/08/13 11:37 AM Re: How to change your power steering fluid (flush) [Re: Greengo]
2008MGM Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
Is this comparable to what the dealer does for a PS flush? This seems more like a drain/refill. Does the machine used at the dealer apply more force to actually "flush" the old gunk out?

#2693458 - 04/08/13 01:07 PM Re: How to change your power steering fluid (flush) [Re: 2008MGM]
LTDteether Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Democratic Rep. of Southpaw
A power steering flush is not a Ford-mandated service procedure. In the above procedure, the fluid is making a full circuit of the PS system so this is a flush, not a drain and fill.

Ford does mandate a purge procedure for after work is done on the PS system. It involves pulling the ignition coil fuse, attaching a hand-held vacuum pump to he reservoir and pumping it down before cranking the engine for 10 seconds at a time while turning the wheels to the stops.

#2693475 - 04/08/13 02:18 PM Re: How to change your power steering fluid (flush) [Re: Loafy]
Greengo Offline
n00b

Loc: Behind You, USA
Loafy- I had the car jacked up because I was changing the oil and it made much easier to have my assistant turn the steering wheel.

BigMerc96- Thanks for the tip about removing the fuel pump relay to only crank it out slower. I was surprised how fast the fluid gets sucked out of the reservoir, I mean as soon as the car starts you need to go to a full pour of the bottle!

I wish I could edit my post but I'm out of time for edit. Can I contact a mod to change it? I'd like it for the BOK.

Edited by Greengo (04/08/13 02:20 PM)

#2822635 - 03/28/14 12:19 PM Re: How to change your power steering fluid (flush) [Re: Greengo]
clutterking Offline
Stranger

Loc: New Jersey
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks Greengo. The turkey baster method was hardly getting any fluid out and I couldn't figure out which of the lines were the return.

#2822879 - 03/29/14 01:00 PM Re: How to change your power steering fluid (flush) [Re: Greengo]
Chevyguy Offline
Poobah

Loc: Winchester Mass
I'll stick with the turkey baster, though I use a 60 ml syringe and some 1/8" line

I took off the return line for my old 93 P-71 and cranked it over with the coil packs unplugged. The fluid shot out like a Tsunami, even going into a gallon pail shot EVERYWHERE!!!1!!
2004 Crown Vic LX 145K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 70 mm TB Custom shorting wire harness. 28/ 21mm MM swaybars Monroe severe duty shocks. Marauder subwoofer and painted cap heated mirrors. GT-500 Wheels NEED DUAL EXHAUST

Project car 74 Chevy Laguna type S-3, # match 400 SBC

Previous rides
93 P-71 2001 P-73, 94 TC Exec, 96 TC Signature

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
20 registered (Chrono, 2000TownCar, defflepp1, dubch87, 9heritage, 4 invisible), 92 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Chicago2VP71 261
a_d_a_m 259
road_pizza 249
BigMerc96 187
Moby_Vic 187
Ezbok58a 164
aknox077 147
BigNSlow 136
Chaplian 117
ponyguy 116
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!