Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2693273 - 04/07/13 09:23 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
CrownVic97 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Brockton, MA
The J-Mod should only affect shifts. If your vehicle is jerking from a stop, that is not supposed to happen. Also, it should not need any gas to go into gear.

Links
#2693294 - 04/07/13 09:59 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
thedanned Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Albuquerque New Mexico
Did you change the filter w the mod? If so ensure you didnt leave the old filter grommet in place when you installed the new one and that the filter is seated fully. That could cause the jerking and having to rev to engage gears by allowing the filter to suck air from the poor seal at the grommet.

Are valve bodies compatible between years? I know there are a bunch of year to year changes.

Did you open the vb up and check that all the balls and filters are in the right places?

Manley, Stainless Works, Edelbrock, Accufab, Steeda, Heinous, Hitech, Edge, 4.10s, and 225 255! tires

#2693312 - 04/07/13 10:47 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: thedanned]
bigROC209 Offline
Climber

Loc: Stockton, CA
Yes we changed the filter and yes we removed the orange ring that was stuck up in the vb. The filter was Motorcraft. I remember seeing a small brown piece of paper that came in the box with it. I couldn't figure out what it was for or why it came with the filter.

As for the check balls and lil filters, honestly I couldn't tell you if he had them in the right spots. I just assumed he knew what he was doing.

Oh and the first test drive was with no filter! He forgot to install it first go round.

Originally Posted By: thedanned
Did you change the filter w the mod? If so ensure you didnt leave the old filter grommet in place when you installed the new one and that the filter is seated fully. That could cause the jerking and having to rev to engage gears by allowing the filter to suck air from the poor seal at the grommet.

Are valve bodies compatible between years? I know there are a bunch of year to year changes.

Did you open the vb up and check that all the balls and filters are in the right places?
02 Grand Marquis LS Precision Trac, 17" 2010 Mustang Wheels, Firestone Firehawk GT Pursuit tires, SCT Xcal 2, BOC 91 octane tune, Trac Lok w/FRPP clutches, 3.55's, Police drive shaft w/civi yoke, and Fabtech spacer. 75mm Throttle body, 75mm TrickFlow Plenum, GT 80mm MAF, P71 rear coils, Cold Air Intake, , J-Mod @ 96K, Dual Exhaust H-pipe & Thrush glass packs, AP103's, 180 T-Stat, Pinstripe removed, Disc changer, Koiler amp, Kicker Comp CVR 10" subs.

1995 Buick Riviera 3.8L Eaton M62 Supercharger

#2693334 - 04/08/13 01:21 AM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
hellraiser319 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Dekalb/N. Aurora, IL
couldn't find the springs... paper is just in the box to keep the metal from rusting on the filter. 02-04 vb... shouldn't be any drastic changes, use the same separator plates....

I am still on the manual valve being on the wrong notch... MLPS being off could be an issue too, but that shouldn't have been affected unless it was directly touched.

1-2 with spring delete, you will feel the transition always, there's a stronger...jolt for lack of better words... with increase throttle. It will seem to shift into 2nd a little soon if you feather it, but the more you give it, the later it should shift. My 2-3 is kinda weak, just enough to squeak the belt at WOT before upgrading to the 190A alternator. 2-1 downshift should be pretty close to instant, I usually break loose, but that's full throttle most of the time. 3-OD should have improved slightly, but will probably still be sloppy, that's a whole other ballgame.

If you have nothing unless you give it gas, gear timing is not right, missing gears, other problems, you will probably need to drop the pan again. Make a quick inventory of what you have, ex. no manual 1 or 2, does it start out in 2nd in manual 2, reverse was acting screwy, does OD seem to work right... then drop pan, make sure everything is plugged in correctly, make sure the manual valve and lever are in the right notches, should be the last from the end, if nothing obvious, dig deeper. Like I said in the other thread too, the 2-3 accumulator holder nipple sits right on top of that separator plate. Cracks cause direct and forward clutch issues, if there's a bunch of hairlines under it, replacing that could even help, provided no other issues are present. On mine, I had a nasty 1-2 flare, either my fluid still hasn't broken in yet, or HD separator plate fixed that.

Let us know what you find............

Chris H.
03 CVPI & 96 Aspire, see fquick link for info
MECP Advanced - CEA170106 - Best Buy #1778 - N. Aurora, IL
XBL, PSN, FB, FQuick, TCG = hellraiser319

#2693392 - 04/08/13 09:47 AM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: hellraiser319]
bigROC209 Offline
Climber

Thanks hellraiser,

You've been very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Other guys give me answers like IDK what you did wrong I wasn't there.
02 Grand Marquis LS Precision Trac, 17" 2010 Mustang Wheels, Firestone Firehawk GT Pursuit tires, SCT Xcal 2, BOC 91 octane tune, Trac Lok w/FRPP clutches, 3.55's, Police drive shaft w/civi yoke, and Fabtech spacer. 75mm Throttle body, 75mm TrickFlow Plenum, GT 80mm MAF, P71 rear coils, Cold Air Intake, , J-Mod @ 96K, Dual Exhaust H-pipe & Thrush glass packs, AP103's, 180 T-Stat, Pinstripe removed, Disc changer, Koiler amp, Kicker Comp CVR 10" subs.

#2693398 - 04/08/13 10:18 AM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
Zulu71 Offline

Loc: Weston, WI
BigROC,

I'm no expert on the matter, but if it were me, I would go back to the valve body that came with my car. I don't know enough about the changes made from year to year to be comfortable with the idea of swapping in parts from other years, especially with something as critical as the valve body.

I just did my J-Mod on Friday, and I had the same problem, except I knew it was fluid level, as it went away once the transmission is warmed up.

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Precision Trac
139,000 Miles, Factory HBB, Precision Trac, K&N Air Filter, AMSOIL Full Synthetic 5W20, J-Mod, 27" Thrush Glasspacks.
Planned: Bilstein HD Shocks, Projector Headlights, MZT Mod, CVPI Driveshaft, Heinous Billet Control Arms (U/L), ARP Hardened Watts Link Stud, Metco Billet Watts Links, SW LT Headers w/ CAT-Back Dual Exhaust
Maybe someday: Custom body work for conversion into Station Wagon with oak paneling.

#2693403 - 04/08/13 10:26 AM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
BigMerc96 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I just don't get why you didn't just drill out your own valve body. that way you know it was done right. You were 85% of the way there just removing it from the car. Do you still have your original VB? if so, re-install it and see if that solves your issues. Hopefully running it w/o the filter and sucking air didn't hurt the trans.

As for right now, do like hellraiser said and take stock of what does and doesn't work, then PARK THE CAR AND DO NOT DRIVE IT UNTIL YOU FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG!!!! If you keep driving it as-is, the likelihood of permanent damage just keeps going up.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~114k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
I've read a lot of threads on CVN, and this one is probably the worst.

#2693441 - 04/08/13 12:20 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: North Georgia
the more I read the problems you have, I am pretty sure its a pressure problem. Either there something is wrong with the valve body you installed, a check ball is missing, or its the wrong valve body for the transmission in your car.
2001 and up valve bodies are different from 98-2000 valve bodies and 96-97 valve bodies are different from 91-95 valve bodies.

It's also possible you used the wrong valve body gaskets during assembly.

2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 09/2011
89 Crown Victoria LX- HPP Box - SOLD 09/2010
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Georgia-Transmission-Auto-Repair/348414635312478

#2693492 - 04/08/13 03:19 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
bigROC209 Offline
Climber

Now I'm really confused.

This morning when I left to work the initial jerk was gone and the shift into 2nd was smooth?

I did add a half a quart last night.

Could being a 1/2 qt low on fluid cause the symptoms I was describing?

Like I said, when I left to work I pressed the gas expecting that first jerk on take off. Didn't happen. I stopped four times and took off at different speeds to see if I could feel it. Seems like it is gone.

The 1-2 shift is a whole lot smoother. Still fast but no jerk to it with light to moderate throttle. It still chirps the tires if I hit the gas hard.

Hopefully it was just acting up because it was a 1/2 qt low?

#2693506 - 04/08/13 03:48 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
Could it be that you never really said how many quarts you put in there. It takes exactly 10 every time. Hundreds of JMods done on this site. Always 10 quarts.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal..

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
• hood ornament
• c-pillar emblems
• LS style body side moldings
• body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
• two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
• front door sill plates that say ‘Grand Marquis’

CarDomain

Facebook

#2693526 - 04/08/13 04:24 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: Black_Sunshine]
martz0r Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
Originally Posted By: Black_Sunshine
Could it be that you never really said how many quarts you put in there. It takes exactly 10 every time. Hundreds of JMods done on this site. Always 10 quarts.

Even on -02 where you can drain the torque converter, as opposed to 03+?

'97 LTC Signature-Touring - 103k - F250 TB, J-Mod | '96 Mercedes S420 125k
Previously: '03 LX-Sport|'06 P71|'03 P71|
Panther Seat Cover Removal - Overhead console display fix

#2693536 - 04/08/13 04:44 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
slingshot Offline

Loc: Behind that famous burrito joi...
Since your out driving around with known issues anyway, why not take it to a shop and have them take a quick look and give you some guidance? Without knowing what is wrong you may be damaging it more with every mile driven. I wouldn't lay blame on the installer if this thing grenades at this point. It should be takin apart as many times as it takes till its right. I know, it's not a fun job, I've done plenty of them..

The balls only fit comfortably one way. Did you count how many you had VS. how many pockets there is for them?

Did you use an inch pound torque wrench? In sequence?

You may very well be dealing with an air pocket from driving with no filter. It may even fix its own self, but that could be a serious gamble.

You did use Mercon V right? How much?

Have you done any data logging? At least temps?
03 Black Marauder, Trilogy, 2.8 up +4 down, 20.5#'s, New Cobra short block, Crower stage 2 blower cams, Manley valves, Tooley Racing springs, 2012 GT500 TR6060, twin disc, Ford Racing 31 spline, 4.10's, studs, girdle, Driveshaft Shop custom CV aluminum shaft, all suspension, ClassGlass hood, Srainless Works front to back, Pioneer everything. Tons and tons of more stuffs, nothing really left actual Marauder anymore. Thankfully..

#2693552 - 04/08/13 05:39 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: slingshot]
CrownVic97 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Brockton, MA
You seem more interested in just hoping the car fixes itself than doing the work to see what is wrong. Unless the car is 100% symptom free you may be doing damage.

If it were my transmission I would not be driving it (I also wouldn't let someone else who is not a mechanic mod my transmission)

#2693608 - 04/08/13 07:43 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: bigROC209]
Soliferrum Offline

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: bigROC209

Could being a 1/2 qt low on fluid cause the symptoms I was describing?

Hopefully it was just acting up because it was a 1/2 qt low?

anyone in the texas golden triangle, sure would be helpful.

#2693609 - 04/08/13 07:47 PM Re: Jmod help! Really hard jerk from take off [Re: CrownVic97]
bigROC209 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: CrownVic97
You seem more interested in just hoping the car fixes itself than doing the work to see what is wrong. Unless the car is 100% symptom free you may be doing damage.

If it were my transmission I would not be driving it (I also wouldn't let someone else who is not a mechanic mod my transmission)

Why is my situation bothering you so much?

Don't you have more important things to worry about?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  dRock96Marquis, Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
4 registered (lsutigers93, tx06p71, klob, AeroSS_87), 27 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Chicago2VP71 394
Ezbok58a 180
BigMerc96 152
KayTar 142
BlackVic_P71 136
121ak 111
a_d_a_m 103
road_pizza 101
aknox077 99
BigNSlow 97
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!