Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2827936 - 04/15/14 01:36 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
BlaineB Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Indiana
The worse that can happen with an older motor switched to synthetic oil is that it will start leaking at the gaskets as the synthetic cleans out crud that have accumulated in the gasket areas.

A transmission is a much different story considering that there are clutch packs involved. In a motor, it is all metal-on-metal.

Links
#2827998 - 04/15/14 05:36 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
1. Royal Purple is an excellent oil
2. Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 is an excellent oil, too.
3. If you're going to change your oil at 3-5k, RP is a huge waste of money.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#2828207 - 04/16/14 12:45 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
UrbanCowboyDan Offline

Loc: Genesee County, New York
What is the oil change interval on Royal Purple? I was thinking that if I was to Run Royal Purple, and it can run twice as long as the motorcraft, technically one oil change with royal purple that lasts twice as long, would be the same price as two changes with Motorcraft?

#2828209 - 04/16/14 12:51 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
Little_CV Offline

Loc: Battys Vill NY
^Their is no "change interval" on any oil...you could just ask the stealership though they usually have an anwser for everything lol. just the sooner the better to keep your engine clean and lubercated. I change mine monthly, to each is own. it just preference and oil dosen't last forever

Edited by Little_CV (04/16/14 12:53 PM)
1981 Camaro,th350, 3:73 posi, hurst ratchet shifter, dropping in 427 Big Block
1996 cvpi 3:27, 100k "Christine" 01 P.I motor, black sweet ride, bought it from my Bro. working on electric fan conversion, has glasspacks no kittys, Future mods-Forced induction. 3:73 posi
2000 cvpi 3:55 locker, J-Mod @ 250,000, Ported TB, Summit Underdrive Pulleys, no kitty's and glasspacks, bought at 90,000 now has 300,000mi no rebuilds/original motor and drive-train, pioneer system, KC lights in grill, pilot fog lights. runs the 1/8 mile @ 10.86 Future: MTZ, crane cam,heads and intake ported and tune.

#2828211 - 04/16/14 12:54 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
UrbanCowboyDan Offline

You change your oil monthly? Dude your the king of penny pinchers....for some reason I can't see that. slug

#2828212 - 04/16/14 01:00 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
Little_CV Offline

Originally Posted By: UrbanCowboyDan
You change your oil monthly? Dude your the king of penny pinchers....for some reason I can't see that. slug

^lmao man u know me, but really I change it ever month, I try to give the vic the best...but being a gas a$$ don't help either
1996 cvpi 3:27, 100k "Christine" 01 P.I motor, black sweet ride, bought it from my Bro. working on electric fan conversion, has glasspacks no kittys, Future mods-Forced induction. 3:73 posi
2000 cvpi 3:55 locker, J-Mod @ 250,000, Ported TB, Summit Underdrive Pulleys, no kitty's and glasspacks, bought at 90,000 now has 300,000mi no rebuilds/original motor and drive-train, pioneer system, KC lights in grill, pilot fog lights. runs the 1/8 mile @ 10.86 Future: MTZ, crane cam,heads and intake ported and tune.

#2828220 - 04/16/14 01:07 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: Little_CV]
UrbanCowboyDan Offline

Originally Posted By: Little_CV

^lmao man u know me, but really I change it ever month, I try to give the vic the best...but being a gas a$$ don't help either
Yes, your right, and from my research, that Supertech stuff at Wally Whurld doesn't seem to be too bad. I just prefer Motorcraft stuff, seems to work good....just don't use FRAM filters.

#2828250 - 04/16/14 03:01 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
Chaplian Offline

Insert witty title here
Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL
Just stick with Motorcraft synthetic, royal purple's nothing special.

2011 Crown Vic LX- 78,xxx.
2003 Crown Vic HPP- 235,xxx miles. Retired.
1995 Impala SS- 29xxx miles. The Lovely Lady
2003 BMW 325i Wagon- 8250 RPM redline. Complete M3 drivetrain, suspension, and electronics. Taylor Swift.
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatchback- 90,xxxx miles. 2.5L, fully loaded. The Daily Grind.

#2828315 - 04/16/14 08:13 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
Little_CV Offline

supertech is walmart oil. depending on where you live, it's usually penzoil. but if the bottle is shaped like moble 1 then it's that. I rather spend $12 for supertech thats mobil 1 rather than $21 for mobil 1 conventional paying for the name. I do it myself monthly like said. oil is oil, some brands have additives that you really don't want in your engine. ever hear of that waterless antifreeze stay away from it unless you want you dorman intake cracking twice as fast. it has additives in it that can't expand and contract like regular antifreeze does and the chemical composition actually eats plastics over a period of time.

Edited by Little_CV (04/16/14 08:14 PM)

#2828326 - 04/16/14 09:20 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
Little_CV Offline

Yes, your right, and from my research, that Supertech stuff at Wally Whurld doesn't seem to be too bad. I just prefer Motorcraft stuff, seems to work good....just don't use FRAM filters.

you know I use fram filters. and want to get me going... but I know some guys think fram filters are the devil on this forum so I'm gonna keep to myself and not start up anything. they do a good job, yeah they don't have the "drain back valve" like motorcraft. "drainback Valves" were made for people who don't change their oil/filter.

#2828349 - 04/16/14 10:27 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: Little_CV]
stealth13 Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL

you know I use fram filters. and want to get me going... but I know some guys think fram filters are the devil on this forum so I'm gonna keep to myself and not start up anything. they do a good job, yeah they don't have the "drain back valve" like motorcraft. "drainback Valves" were made for people who don't change their oil/filter.

The anti drainback valve has absolutely nothing even remotely to do with oil change interval. It holds oil in the system to allow for quicker oil flow on startup, reducing the milliseconds your engine runs without oil (the time much of engine wear occurs). But its more than that. It is also a difference of a filter with cardboard holding it together vs metal, for honestly the same amount of money.

Not starting an argument though. If you're changing your oil regularly, FRAM or not, you are still better than a whole lot of people on the road today.

#2828361 - 04/16/14 11:22 PM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
GutsyGecko Offline
Junior Trooper
Climber

Loc: Youngstown, OH
Fram Ultra oil filters are awesome. The rest of them, not so much.
2006 - 90,000 miles "Bad Vic" - Steeda Underdrive Pullies - ADTR Ported upper intake plenum - BBK 75mm TB - AFE CAI - Catless Stainless Works Headers and S-tube mufflers - EBC slotted/Dimpled rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads - TCE Braided brake lines - Detroit Springs 2" lowering coils - Metco control arms and watts link - Addco sway bars - 4.56 trak-lok - 9.5" 4200 Stall Converter - Street Lethal Tuned!

#2829294 - 04/21/14 04:23 AM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Glendale, AZ
Those drainback valves are very important on Modular motors. I forgot what it was that it helps prevent a dry start on - think it was cam or something...I don't remember.

But I personally have seen why Fram filters suck. When I had my 99 PI, I went from a Motorcraft to a Fram Orange Can of Death for an oil change. First and every time I started the car, timing chain squeal. Went back to the FL-820S, problem went away. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I put it back in. Problem came back.

Plus, with what I've seen with pleats that aren't even sealed together (literally a giant hole that unfiltered oil goes thru), and paper endcaps, for more money than a FL-820S, I won't touch them. The other Fram filters are apparently OK, but the OCD is a no-no in Modualr motors.

2007 Smokestone LX HPP - 17.5K miles 1/2016
'05 PI Airbox/Ziptube, BOC 91 Octane Tune, PowerSlot F&R Rotors, Raybestos Police Patrol Pads F&R, 260A Mechman Alt w/OAD & Big 3, Ported Intake Plenum, Adco Front & Rear Swaybars, Metco Control Arms, Metco Watts Link, KYB Police Struts/Shocks F&R, Arnott HPP-spec "Limo" rear bags, Walker Quietflow 3's w/Resonator delete, 3.55 TracLoc conversion, 180 T-Stat, 22C Plugs, GY Eagle Sport AS Tires, Kenwood DNN992 Nav Headunit & Speakers, Viper 5901 Alarm/Remote Start & Street Guardian Dashcam

MY ARTICLES

Pulleys for Police Alternators | Replacing Door Weather Barriers | Exhaust Dampers and their importance

#2829331 - 04/21/14 10:03 AM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Anyone use Penzoil Platinum? Supposed to be very good oil. Priced the same as M1 around here, tempted to give it a go. maybe. I just dumped some into my mom's oil chugging Honduh that usually runs M1 (because it burns full synthetic less than conventional as I've found, plus that little high revving 4-banger likes thin oil).

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2829333 - 04/21/14 10:13 AM Re: Motorcraft oil vs Royal Purple oil [Re: UrbanCowboyDan]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
I've used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 in my Marauder for years. Would Castrol Edge, M1, RP, QS Ultimate Durability, or AMSOIL be just as good? Probably, I've just always been a Pennzoil fanboy.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
6 registered (MinnesotaP71, Hambone, RyderPhan, WalterL, akr619, cv83), 106 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!