Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2847009 - 07/07/14 03:05 PM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: Bangster]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Originally Posted By: Bangster
Originally Posted By: Bellwestern80
Originally Posted By: Bangster
It isn't a crash bracket. on 96-02 that is in the rear of the intake, and in 03+ it is on the front.

I am not sure why people delete that as well. It might not be obvious as to what it does, but Ford rarely adds un-needed weight and complexity without a reason. IT can't be just to make the intake replacement a pain in the butt to do.

The '98+ aluminum intake alternator bracket actually does have a piece that covers the fuel line that runs behind the alternator, something that my 3G bracket didn't do. It could be considered a crash bracket in the fact it protects the fuel line at the front.

Your right (as was 1 Adam 12), the 4g and 6g brackets do have a cover for the fuel lines. I ran into issues trying to use an 03+ bracket on my 00 GM when I did the 6g alternator swap because of it.
And the "one size fits all" Dorman brackets that used to come with the intakes have the fuel line cover as well.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

Links
#2847033 - 07/07/14 04:55 PM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: CrystalPistol]
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Glendale, AZ
Let's just all agree it should stay on the car smile

2007 Smokestone LX HPP - 17.5K miles 1/2016
'05 PI Airbox/Ziptube, BOC 91 Octane Tune, PowerSlot F&R Rotors, Raybestos Police Patrol Pads F&R, 260A Mechman Alt w/OAD & Big 3, Ported Intake Plenum, Adco Front & Rear Swaybars, Metco Control Arms, Metco Watts Link, KYB Police Struts/Shocks F&R, Arnott HPP-spec "Limo" rear bags, Walker Quietflow 3's w/Resonator delete, 3.55 TracLoc conversion, 180 T-Stat, 22C Plugs, GY Eagle Sport AS Tires, Kenwood DNN992 Nav Headunit & Speakers, Viper 5901 Alarm/Remote Start & Street Guardian Dashcam

MY ARTICLES

Pulleys for Police Alternators | Replacing Door Weather Barriers | Exhaust Dampers and their importance

#2847199 - 07/08/14 12:48 PM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: CrystalPistol]
BillyBishop Offline
Expert mechanic
Poobah

Loc: KY
Take the bracket off and leave it off. People can "theorize" all day, but nothing's going to happen. I drove my car for 4 years without a bracket. Many aftermarket intake manifolds don't even have a place to put one of the crown vic alternator brackets, and there's thousands upon thousands of people driving around without the brackets.

1985 2 door vic-------2003 P71: Lots of mods-----1994 Buick Toastmaster
Past: 2002 P71, 1996 LTC, 2003 P71

#2848091 - 07/12/14 11:38 PM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: CrystalPistol]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
Well, seems opinions and/or experiences are all over the map .... grin

Again, I thank all of you ..... ff

Lots of good points ... I was a fixin' to leave for a 1200 mile round trip to visit when I was writing.

As it is, I left my "modded" bracket with the 1/2" dia holes filled with short pieces of 1/4" FI hose as bushings and the 4 bolts "snugged up", NOT tightly.

They stayed "snugged up" on the way down. When I get home I'll go ahead and get the new Fel Pro intake gasket set and swap on my new style Ford intake with alum X-over. arcade

Meanwhile, car knocked down 25-26 mpg and despite heat, 191-192 degrees coolant and trans stayed about 159-162 degrees whole way down Thursday (stock and aux cooler).
That J-mod I did last week .... worked magnificently, just firm and sure, no bad jerking shifts.

Edited by CrystalPistol (07/12/14 11:42 PM)

________________________________________ ____________________
Problems huh? Then Read THE Book. Signed: Natural Borne Neanderthal .

#2850389 - 07/24/14 02:32 AM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: CrystalPistol]
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Glendale, AZ
Removing it is plainly just a bad idea.

From ... (who has passed on, but was a source of massive amounts of CV info):

"Note: The alternator upper bracket in the 1998+ cars serves two purposes. It's a crash bracket to protect the fuel rail in a really high energy frontal collision. It also holds the alternator stationary so the bottom mounting bolts aren't overloaded. The normal mounting load on this part is very minimal, and some people have run their crownvics without this bracket installed for short periods of time without a problem. Some have even run their cars for years without the top alternator bracket installed, but others have had the bottom two bolts break leaving them stranded on the side of the road without any front engine drive accessories rotating anymore. Do note that without the waterpump spinning, engine coolant will really heatup and your engine could be damaged beyond economic repair or seize up all together."

Think of all the extra stress it's placing on the alternator pulley/rotor and the tensioner as well...

2007 Smokestone LX HPP - 17.5K miles 1/2016
'05 PI Airbox/Ziptube, BOC 91 Octane Tune, PowerSlot F&R Rotors, Raybestos Police Patrol Pads F&R, 260A Mechman Alt w/OAD & Big 3, Ported Intake Plenum, Adco Front & Rear Swaybars, Metco Control Arms, Metco Watts Link, KYB Police Struts/Shocks F&R, Arnott HPP-spec "Limo" rear bags, Walker Quietflow 3's w/Resonator delete, 3.55 TracLoc conversion, 180 T-Stat, 22C Plugs, GY Eagle Sport AS Tires, Kenwood DNN992 Nav Headunit & Speakers, Viper 5901 Alarm/Remote Start & Street Guardian Dashcam

MY ARTICLES

Pulleys for Police Alternators | Replacing Door Weather Barriers | Exhaust Dampers and their importance

#2860689 - 09/14/14 11:33 AM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: CrystalPistol]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

I don't know why I didn't think of this before .... but just a few days ago as I was doing some maintenance on my 1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 I suddenly recalled this very thread and my opening post asking a question about alternator top bracket delete.

The '94 and '95 Thunderbirds with 4.6 have a alternator that relies on only two bolts at the bottom into same engine casting for support. There is no upper stay.

I don't know why the Merc's aluminum is so "speckled" looking? I also will look at pulley offset in relation to mounting, the '95 T-bird serpentine belt may be closer to the engine front cover? I also know that much bigger alternators were available on the CVs and G<Ms than on the T-birds.

Just thinking .... for the record ..... mine is still in place as described earlier.

smile

#2860733 - 09/14/14 07:18 PM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: CrystalPistol]
PHoganDive Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Mass, USA
Originally Posted By: CrystalPistol
I don't know why the Merc's aluminum is so "speckled" looking?

That is typically corrosion caused by road salt.

2006 CVPI w/120K, J-Mod, MSD COPs, BOC Tune, American Muscle Wheels, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Duals, 35% tint, UltraGuage, headlight relay harness installed w/ 80/100 watt bulbs.

1996 GMQ 116K miles, Bilstein shocks, otherwise stock (Retired 7/2011)

#2860746 - 09/14/14 08:08 PM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: CrystalPistol]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
I don't know why I didn't think of this before .... but just a few days ago as I was doing some maintenance on my 1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 I suddenly recalled this very thread and my opening post asking a question about alternator top bracket delete.

The '94 and '95 Thunderbirds with 4.6 have a alternator that relies on only two bolts at the bottom into same engine casting for support. There is no upper stay.

I don't know why the Merc's aluminum is so "speckled" looking? I also will look at pulley offset in relation to mounting, the '95 T-bird serpentine belt may be closer to the engine front cover? I also know that much bigger alternators were available on the CVs and G<Ms than on the T-birds.

Just thinking .... for the record ..... mine is still in place as described earlier.

smile

There is an upper bracket on the aluminum intake/3G alternator cars like the early 4.6 MN12s and Panthers. It is similar to the one for the plastic intake/3G cars like the 96+ MN12s and Panthers.

The mounting point on the alternator is on the back, not the top like 4G/6G etc.

Back of a 3G alternator, the bump out with the threaded hole is where they mount. The actual bracket on the aluminum intake is quite small, the mount points on the intake are close together, not like the plastic intake. It also doesn't have the arms that go over the top of the alternator to support the plug wires or the big wire to the battery.

63 Falcon 302
82 F-150
97 Mark VIII LSC (RIP)
2017 Escape SE (RIP)
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
2019 Edge SEL 2.0 GTDI 8 speed auto

#2860779 - 09/14/14 10:10 PM Re: Any "Alternator Bracket Deletes" out there? [Re: CrystalPistol]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

OK, you are right. I missed that bracket, it's hidden pretty well.

Thanks!

USE BACK BRACKET ON ALTERNATOR !!!

(just a note to anyone wanting my final word on the subject)

Originally Posted By: PHoganDive
I don't know why the Merc's aluminum is so "speckled" looking?

That is typically corrosion caused by road salt.

Back in early 2000s we ran through one snow storm coming home from Georgia at Christmas and I ran her through a car wash and hosed it off before I got home, this corrosion was a few years after that.

Could have been that late May 2008 when we were in SW Colorado and left Cortez that morning headed east and got up into some mountains and ran into a real snow storm with snow plows .... they might have been spreading stuff too? This corrosion showed itself after that some time.

Possibly just a result of the "dry salt" dust we sometimes see after a snow and there's salt on the roadway that blows up? I expect it on a duty car like that 2006 CVPI was.

It looks awful.

Edited by CrystalPistol (09/14/14 10:43 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (Bigmd), 57 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!