Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2872955 - 11/20/14 08:55 PM U JOINT REPLACEMENT 2003 steel drivesahft question
MERCURY2003LSE Offline

Loc: CANADA
U JOINT QUESTION -

Ford dealer parts guy checks my VIN for drive shaft u joint part number.(( steel shaft or aluminum / ETC))

On the computer Ford says not serviceable - they want to sell whole shaft with u -joint

He laughs and checks out seperate part numbers come up with proper u joint .

When they tried to replace the snap rings / u joint clips are to thick to seat proper ???

Anyone here have this problem ?

Thanks

Links
#2872968 - 11/20/14 09:56 PM Re: U JOINT REPLACEMENT 2003 steel drivesahft question [Re: MERCURY2003LSE]
Raven238 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Beantown, MA
Originally Posted By: MERCURY2003LSE
When they tried to replace the snap rings / u joint clips are to thick to seat proper ???

What?

When I've replaced them, New ujoints have never come with new snap rings. Fitment must be tight. There can't be any play whatsoever. Tell the dealer to try harder. Or they've tried to put in the wrong size part...

97 P71 187K milesSOLD

03 TC Executive 142K.
70mm Tuberculosis, Projectors refit, LED refit, some other kind of refit, something something something....something.

03 P71 225XXX miles
Marauder Cluster Swap,Sniper Tuned, Side Blinker Mod, Headlamp Upgrade pictorial
Town Car Projector Refit

#2873000 - 11/21/14 07:32 AM Re: U JOINT REPLACEMENT 2003 steel drivesahft question [Re: MERCURY2003LSE]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
^^What? Every time I've ever bought a u-joint, its come with new snap rings. Not that the old ones are ever bad enough to really warrant replacement.

OP: are you saying that the dealer is having a hard time installing u-joints? If so, they are idiots, or they have the wrong u-joint. If it helps them, they can look up...pretty much any earlier Panther, they all use the same u-joints. If the snap rings won't seat then the joint isn't seated right, or one of the rollers has migrated into the end of the cap instead of where its supposed to be and is stopping the cap from seating all the way. Had that happen a couple times. U-joints are a 1/2 hour job, even without the "correct" tools.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2873011 - 11/21/14 08:47 AM Re: U JOINT REPLACEMENT 2003 steel drivesahft question [Re: MERCURY2003LSE]
barberjb Offline
Stranger

Loc: NJ
I've got a 2003 Town Car that my steering is starting to get sticky. I suspect it's the u-joint as there's some corrosion. Can anyone link the procedure for replacing this? Thanks!

#2873025 - 11/21/14 11:48 AM Re: U JOINT REPLACEMENT 2003 steel drivesahft question [Re: MERCURY2003LSE]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
the steering shaft u-joints? They are not serviceable. Just order a new steering shaft from the dealer, or tascaparts. They aren't that horribly expensive. My buddy just had to change them in his '03 CVLX, the lower shaft had been binding up so long that it wore out the collapsible section of the upper/mid shaft to the point that it was really sloppy. Pretty simple to replace, just remove the pinch bolt at the steering rack and at the connection to the mid shaft and push it up into the cab (it'll compress the collapsing section) until its free from its connection at the rack, then pull it back out and its free. Just be careful not to turn the steering wheel when the shaft(s) are disconnected since its very easy to damage the airbag clock spring that way.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!