Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2882679 - 01/28/15 12:58 PM Stereo wiring help
jktipton Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA
I recently got a new Pioneer DEH-X8600BH (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X8600BH) head unit and I finally have access to a garage so I can install it without my fingers freezing off outside. At the moment, everything is stock, except for the new HU.

I have one wire which I'm not sure where to connect. Per the installation instructions (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-X8600BH_BS_OwnersManual080713.pdf, page 25), the blue/white wire should be connected to the "system control terminal of the power amp or auto-antenna relay control terminal."

I've got three connectors plugged into my factory radio.

Main radio connector:

CD changer:

Subwoofer connector:

Can anybody tell me which of this plethora of wires that needs to be connected to? My first guess was "Audio System ON," which is pin #6 on the CD changer connector... but that doesn't seem right.

2004 LX Sport. This is my first stereo install, so I'm spending a lot of time arguing with myself on this.

Links
#2882740 - 01/28/15 06:12 PM Re: Stereo wiring help [Re: jktipton]
Piranah Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Iowa
Not really helping, but I would like to know how you like the receiver. I got the media player version of that and hated it. The menus were unusable.

Former Panthers:
1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
88 LTD Crown Victoria. Fully optioned. Sold.
01 Grand Marquis. Sold
1994 Lincoln Town Car. Gone.

#2882755 - 01/28/15 07:02 PM Re: Stereo wiring help [Re: jktipton]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Everything you need should be coming from the first plug.
If you're trying to connect an amp there should be a wire off your new radio to do that.

#2882768 - 01/28/15 07:56 PM Re: Stereo wiring help [Re: jktipton]
GoldPanther Offline

BOK contributor
Over the Hill

Loc: Chitcagoland!
If your car isn't equipped with a factory amp you don't have to worry. Panthers usually don't have amps unless it has premium sound.
Leave that wire alone. Tape it and hide it. You will actually need it if you're installing and amplifier in the future.
Originally Posted By Black_Chrome
Black_Chrome: If only I had a merc...Oh wait, its still sitting out at the farm frown "This holiday season give that special woman in your life something she deserves. Dans External Relay Harness."

#2882780 - 01/28/15 08:41 PM Re: Stereo wiring help [Re: jktipton]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
You only need that if you are trying to use the stock subwoofer, but the stock sub amp turn on works on a different voltage(I believe 5v) so the wire coming out of the new headunit(12v) may cause more harm than good.
They do sell adapters(or you can find instructions to DIY) to use the stock sub with an aftermarket headunit and I used it in my Sport, worked great.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2882799 - 01/28/15 09:57 PM Re: Stereo wiring help [Re: BlackVic_P71]
jktipton Offline

Originally Posted By: BlackVic_P71
You only need that if you are trying to use the stock subwoofer, but the stock sub amp turn on works on a different voltage(I believe 5v) so the wire coming out of the new headunit(12v) may cause more harm than good.
They do sell adapters(or you can find instructions to DIY) to use the stock sub with an aftermarket headunit and I used it in my Sport, worked great.

Any info on the adapter? I am not having much luck Googling it.

#2882805 - 01/28/15 10:18 PM Re: Stereo wiring help [Re: jktipton]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
Originally Posted By: jktipton
Any info on the adapter? I am not having much luck Googling it.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151335

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2886178 - 02/24/15 08:46 AM Re: Stereo wiring help [Re: Piranah]
jktipton Offline

Originally Posted By: Piranah
Not really helping, but I would like to know how you like the receiver. I got the media player version of that and hated it. The menus were unusable.

After a couple of weeks of using it, I like the interface. Full disclosure: I've had a Pioneer in my other car for several years, so I'm used to the menu navigation. I particularly like the iPod navigation, because it lets you search by letter, which is much better than on the older stereo where you have to scroll through all the artists/songs/whatever. That can be a real pain when you have almost 20,000 songs on your iPod.

Edited by jktipton (02/24/15 08:46 AM)

Who's Online
3 registered (Denal, TheShadow, TheBestNeverRest), 66 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!