Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3295394 - 07/22/16 06:28 PM Upper Steering Shaft
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Central Coast Of CA USA
While putting the front suspension back together My son pulled on the rack and pinion to make room to insert the lower control arm cam bolt. He then said the rack would not go back in place. he pulled the upper shaft out of the steering column.

I see that it is clocked by 1 tooth that is wider than the others, but it just isn't going back in. I was reading about it in the manual and it talks about re-clocking the clock spring and about the deployable steering column needed to be replaced if deployed. Am I just having a hard time getting the shaft in or am I in deep dodo??? I didn't want to yell at My son so I sadly walked away and told him its break time, so I wouldn't say or do something I would regret. Please tell me I'm not inserting it correctly and go try again...
Edit
PS: This Car is not going to be happy until I do something to everything. I haven't been in to the transmission yet. Any bets on what is next.

Edited by EZlivin11 (07/22/16 06:45 PM)
2008 Ford Crown Victoria P71 4.6-2v
Upgrades /Mo's /1/2ShaftTB /P&PIntake /Steeda /Steering /Brakes /Suspension /Driveline /Rear-Axle3.55TL /BodySuspension-EnergySuspension /Interior /LTC-Leather /200Amp-Powerdistrabution-System /AuxBattery /SonyBluetooth /

Links
#3295602 - 07/22/16 09:49 PM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
GRC Offline
n00b

Loc: Zone 6
Yes those the lower control arm cam bolts are fun for sure, I hosed the tie rod bellows with spray lube & did my best not to tear the rubber as the bolt occupied the same space

if you remove the drivers side rack mount stud from the subframe & loosen the passenger side the rack will come forward & up just enough to git'r done. barely

on the bright side the trans should give you some time to get the steering stuffed back together

#3295818 - 07/23/16 10:28 AM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
It should go back if it's just that one tooth that aligns it, unlock the column and keep trying.
When you do get it back in, make sure that green ring is secure. There was an issue with it coming out the bottom of the upper column which led to some kind of service bulletin, when I did the floor shifter in my ''05 CVPI and dropped the column, that came out and broke the connector to the gas pedal which left me at idle until I got a new pedal.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#3295834 - 07/23/16 10:39 AM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
A retainer inspection/bulletin mentioned above is part of the latest steering shaft recall tsb. IF it is dislodged, there is a couple holes to drill via template through the column and green collar for screws to hold on the retainer. Column has to come out for that though.

Alex.

Attachments
ford rotunda 211-346 steering column drill guide and jig-crown victoria.jpg

Description: Drill Guide

bearing retainer2.jpg

bearing retainer3.jpg

bearing retainer4.jpg

Edited by GM_Guy (07/23/16 11:12 AM)

#3295866 - 07/23/16 11:08 AM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

#3295898 - 07/23/16 12:19 PM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

I did my homework last night, and I think I'm going to try and reassemble the shaft as is no parts and then take her to the dealer and try for the recall. This is the second time this shaft has come lose, The first time was when I changed out the lower shaft, but it didn't come all the way out then, and I was able to stick it back together. As I was reading the recall and repair for the shafts I noticed there is a repair kit with a bearing retainer in it to keep this from happening, and you remove the column to install the retainer. Is that drop dead date of 22 sept. 14 still in effect, I'm going to try anyway the worst Vreeland Ford can do is say no right? LOL
Now as far as the steering wheel moving while the shafts were disconnected, if the air bag light doesn't come on the clock spring should not have moved, and If I gently turn the wheel clockwise till I feel tension then center the wheel + 2 turns I should be close??? what do you all think? Mine failed miserably thanks for the link GM

Edited by EZlivin11 (07/23/16 12:20 PM)
Upgrades /Mo's /1/2ShaftTB /P&PIntake /Steeda /Steering /Brakes /Suspension /Driveline /Rear-Axle3.55TL /BodySuspension-EnergySuspension /Interior /LTC-Leather /200Amp-Powerdistrabution-System /AuxBattery /SonyBluetooth /

#3296018 - 07/23/16 01:42 PM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

To get a leg up, and in case My dependable Ford Dealer won't help Me out, I went digging for gold (I mean Parts), and Dorman, and OEM is all that pop out at Me. Strange I only hit on 1 review on Dorman upper shaft and it said don't waste your money.. That would suck cuz the price grabs you after looking at OEM. Also does the bearing come on the shaft like Dorman I found it both ways on the interweb, and there was a listing for the shaft and a collar. Is that what they are calling the bearing?

#3296778 - 07/24/16 10:14 AM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Have you had the steering recall check done already? If not, when you get it back together, drive to the ford lot, dislodge that green retainer so it meets the criteria they are looking for in the recall (its not as if you are trying a scam, you got a genuine problem if it keeps popping out). See what happens. When you get your car back, before you get in the car, get down and inspect the retainer. If its still dislodged, raise holy hell about it.

[If you had the recall check done, was it done before or after the ammended recall letter that included a check of the lower column bearing?]
[did the car have a replacement shaft already? My understanding is its a one time deal. If it happens again, its on you].

Alex.

Edited by GM_Guy (07/24/16 10:17 AM)

#3296794 - 07/24/16 11:30 AM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

My CVPI is listed as no open recalls.
The steering shafts were in sad sad shape when She followed Me Home (looked like they had never been touched), I should have changed the lower shaft before I drove the 300 miles to home :-(.
I need to get the Cruz, DRL, Dark Mode, well whatever can be turned on turned on, so I was going to ask for the inspection then.
I replaced the lower shaft, cleaned and lubed connections and bearings up to the lower output of the column, could that affect if it qualifies or not IDK, but I did read that a owner could put in for reimbursement of prior repairs. I'm sure You need a receipt for said repair, and not having one, I'll go with it was that way when I bought it from the dealer in San Francisco.
That is a very good idea on the retainer, I was going to leave a piece of the green plastic collar on the floor. Worst case is I get a no, and it is on Me. So far Vreeland Ford has been very helpful, heck they deliver to the door. Unlike Santa Maria Ford (I don't ever want to have to go back there) they were very rude when I asked a few questions.
well the tarp is spread, the tools and consumables have been gathered up, so it is about time to get on the flushing of the fluids, and get Her off the stands.
I've been chomping at the bit to get her going, cuz I need to get to LA and visit SocalSam. He Has kindly offered up some goodies that are on My list of good stuff I Need, Want, and Desire. :-) So HiHo HiHo

#3296802 - 07/24/16 11:49 AM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
SocalSam Offline
banned
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Originally Posted By EZlivin11
...I need to get the Cruz, DRL, Dark Mode, well whatever can be turned on turned on, so I was going to ask for the inspection then...

...I've been chomping at the bit to get her going, cuz I need to get to LA and visit SocalSam. He Has kindly offered up some goodies that are on My list of good stuff I Need, Want, and Desire. :-) So HiHo HiHo

Haha, 2008 CVPI mini meet! It will be nice to see what a properly sorted out 2008 is like.

While at the dealer for IDS programming, set Silent Mode to your preference. Mine is set to on for no warning chimes.
2004 CV LX Sport #2
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, POTM 6/22

Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels ,
Door Keypad , Passenger Seat Power

#3296850 - 07/24/16 12:15 PM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

Looking Forward To It...

#3297186 - 07/24/16 06:33 PM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Quote:

While at the dealer for IDS programming, set Silent Mode to your preference. Mine is set to on for no warning chimes.

This. Its another cvpi feature I didn't know about, but damn glad to have, seeing as I always spend time disabling the stupid things on older cars.

Alex.

#3297418 - 07/25/16 12:04 AM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

the steering column shaft slide in like butter, intermediate shaft no problem, and then I couldn't find the bolt that locks the lower shaft to the intermediate shaft NO WAY it never fails does it!!! You know it's gotta be here somewhere .LOL
Any She is all together (except 1 bolt) I do have an ABS light on after vacuum bleeding the brakes, so I'll need to connect the scan tool tomorrow. cleaners are in the trans, and power steering and She has been running for awhile, so after the scan I'll finish the flush. Fluids, filter an gasket, and pan with drain plug should be here tomorrow. She is getting close :-)

#3297754 - 07/25/16 11:22 AM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
The anticipation is killing me... biggrin

Seriously, from your pix it looks like you've done really top-notch work and I hope everything comes out great.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#3298970 - 07/26/16 05:45 PM Re: Upper Steering Shaft [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

Thanks it has been difficult working in the driveway to say the least. I've been sitting in Her Thinking what is going to be like, cuz She drove so nice before I started changing worn parts, what is the ride going to be now that She is all freshened up and ready for the prom... So close I can taste it LOL' biggrin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
2 registered (GooneyBird, wibiwo), 56 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!