Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3330825 - 08/24/16 03:07 PM Spining My Wheels Again
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Central Coast Of CA USA
I'm doing doughnut in the parking lot again, and it is a matter of principal or save a few bucks. I have a set of 3.55's under dispute (damage in transit 1 small chip). Seller said no returns (my problem not his), Ebay said return it for refund (I lose shipping). Long story>short story On principal I should send it back and go find another set. Real world that is more time and unless I go used there isn't any thing out there for the same doe-ray-me.
Here are my choices:
1} Do what's right and toss more money down the crapper, send the gears back. I'll have to stick with the 327's patch the diff, and when I find gears do it again, cuz You know I'll have to have gears.
2} Take the Low road let the guy slide, install the gears, and roll the dice. Here is the damage

I know it is just a small chip, but you also know the odd's aren't so good to me some times are they.. Bottom Line, End Of The Day, Never Fails, and no matter what I do: Something will happen costing more money and or time. "Murphy's Law"
Enough wining its time for lunch, anyway, isn't this where you all get to feed me som BS line and tell me it is going to be ok, or offer up a condescending comment or two and try to cheer me up
Have fun Mike/EZ
2008 Ford Crown Victoria P71 4.6-2v
Upgrades /Mo's /1/2ShaftTB /P&PIntake /Steeda /Steering /Brakes /Suspension /Driveline /Rear-Axle3.55TL /BodySuspension-EnergySuspension /Interior /LTC-Leather /200Amp-Powerdistrabution-System /AuxBattery /SonyBluetooth /

Links
#3330889 - 08/24/16 03:56 PM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
Moby_Vic Offline

Cynical Idealist
Metroplectic

Loc: Central Florida
Never install damaged parts in your car.

#3331209 - 08/24/16 07:52 PM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
SocalSam Offline
banned
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
As a buyer, ebay is your friend. Open claim immediately and let the buyer biased rules work in your favor.
2004 CV LX Sport #2
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, POTM 6/22

Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels ,
Door Keypad , Passenger Seat Power

#3331481 - 08/25/16 01:43 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

Never have had good luck with patch jobs anyway. Claim was started as soon as it arrived a week ago. Ebay ruled in my favor. So it is boxed and ready for Return, and all I lose out on is shipping. Now I have to find another set of gears and a set of Complete TPMS sensors for the GT wheels I picked up yesterday.
Upgrades /Mo's /1/2ShaftTB /P&PIntake /Steeda /Steering /Brakes /Suspension /Driveline /Rear-Axle3.55TL /BodySuspension-EnergySuspension /Interior /LTC-Leather /200Amp-Powerdistrabution-System /AuxBattery /SonyBluetooth /

#3331489 - 08/25/16 01:54 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
Are those FRPP gears? I've bought a lot of used parts but I got all new ones from ADTR.NET when I built my rear. Not for any reason. That's just the way it happened. lol

They caught me slipping. I bought a true trac and installed it before I ever looked at the cost of a trac loc. I was horrified when I realized that it was half the price. The true trac works awesome so far though. lol

Just send those gears back and forget about it. Get 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� LS style body side moldings
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
� two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
� front door sill plates that say �Grand Marquis�

CarDomain

Facebook

#3331521 - 08/25/16 03:48 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Ponyguy Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Oswego, IL
Originally Posted By Black_Sunshine
I bought a true trac and installed it before I ever looked at the cost of a trac loc. I was horrified when I realized that it was half the price. The true trac works awesome so far though.

Plus one on the TrueTrac.

I had all sorts of problems (some maybe my own fault) with the rear end of my Ranger with wheel hop and losing traction. I thought about a Traction-Lok, but came across a really good deal on a new in the box TrueTrac from an outfit in California... they even shipped it to me for nix. There are no clutches to burn out and it doesn't need friction modifier. It's all gears, and works similar to a Torsen. The TrueTrac along with a James Duff traction bar setup cured the traction troubles.

So, I read the rules. Now I'm even more confused.

My transportation sources:
1972 Green Schwinn Speedster;
1984 Canyon Red Mustang V-6;
2004 Gold Ash GMQ LS Ultimate Edition, (Traded away, sadly);
2018 Metallic Blue Fusion Platinum Hybrid Energie Edition.

#3332729 - 08/25/16 08:40 PM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: /root
EZ, I'd have no ragrets (I know how I spelt it) installing those gears.

The ring gear damage is very minor and in a position where it will not mesh with the pinion gear. The pinion gear looks fine.

#3332809 - 08/25/16 09:13 PM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
If it is shipping damage, there is no excuse for the seller to not wrap bubble wrap around the entire gear to protect it. You don't just toss parts in a box with a token piece of bubble wrap and call it properly packaged. I don't know why people think shippers (be it post office or courier) treat your package like fragile glass. THink thrown and dropped and wrap accordingly.

Alex.

#3333353 - 08/26/16 03:14 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

the gears have been sent back, wouldn't 3.73 be to low for freeway driving? also I would have to get a tune, and I am not ready for that yet.

#3333465 - 08/26/16 08:50 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
Moby_Vic Offline

Cynical Idealist
Metroplectic

Loc: Central Florida
Originally Posted By EZlivin11
the gears have been sent back, wouldn't 3.73 be to low for freeway driving? also I would have to get a tune, and I am not ready for that yet.

I have 3.73s in my '95 Mustang. I don't remember the ratio for my overdrive (it's a manual transmission), but 70 mph is about 2250 RPM. It gets annoying and really sucks gas if I go faster than that. It was more like 2000 RPM at 70 with the stock 3.08 gears.

#3334801 - 08/26/16 11:26 PM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
A lot of the Marauder guys run 4.10s and I don't hear a lot of complaints about highway driving.

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19, Dec. '22) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20)
'18 Flex EB | '92 Shadow VT1100C
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19), '03 SAP P71, 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)

#3334905 - 08/27/16 12:16 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: a_d_a_m]
Chaplian Offline

Insert witty title here
Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL
Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
A lot of the Marauder guys run 4.10s and I don't hear a lot of complaints about highway driving.

Marauders also have a 6000 or 6100 RPM redline.

2011 Crown Vic LX- 78,xxx.
2003 Crown Vic HPP- 235,xxx miles. Retired.
1995 Impala SS- 29xxx miles. The Lovely Lady
2003 BMW 325i Wagon- 8250 RPM redline. Complete M3 drivetrain, suspension, and electronics. Taylor Swift.
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatchback- 90,xxxx miles. 2.5L, fully loaded. The Daily Grind.

#3334977 - 08/27/16 02:04 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: Chaplian]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By Moby_Vic
Originally Posted By EZlivin11

I have 3.73s in my '95 Mustang. I don't remember the ratio for my overdrive (it's a manual transmission), but 70 mph is about 2250 RPM. It gets annoying and really sucks gas if I go faster than that. It was more like 2000 RPM at 70 with the stock 3.08 gears.
Originally Posted By Chaplian

Marauders also have a 6000 or 6100 RPM redline.

I've got 13k miles on mine. At 80mph I'm just shy of 3k rpm. I'm getting a consistent 18.5mpg with a high stall and 255 tires (neither of those help the economy).

I drove briefly on a trac loc before I got the true trac in. They definitely work differently. The trac loc is either locked or not locked. So if you hammer it in a corner it locks and you slide. The true trac will transfer power instead of just locking. After it transfers the power to the better gripping wheel you can still over power it and slide.

The true trac's instructions said not to use friction modifier or oil with it built in. I guess it just causes extra wear. Because of that and lack of planning I ended up running AutoZone brand oil in mine. It's the only one they carried that didn't specify that it had friction modifier included.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)

CarDomain

Facebook

#3334993 - 08/27/16 02:05 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Installed that axle on 3/6/2016. 13k miles since then.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#3335017 - 08/27/16 02:20 AM Re: Spining My Wheels Again [Re: EZlivin11]
EZlivin11 Offline
Over the Hill

Most of the parts are here, and if I'm shooting for putting it back together this weekend it will have to remain 3.27, for now anyway. Here is two of the new add on's for the diff. A 318C Trac-Loc and a girdle to lock it all together. On the trac-Loc I will need to disassemble it to soak the clutches wont I?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chaplian, jmlock, Ryan, The_Punisher 
Who's Online
1 registered (RipWixomAssembly), 116 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!