Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3373554 - 09/26/16 11:21 PM Radio Connector for 2009 P71
The_Punisher Offline

IT'S PUNISHMENT
Poobah

Loc: Okanogan County, WA
I have the typical P71 AM/FM radio and I really want to upgrade a media receiver or navigation unit and I'm looking for the right connector to match to the new head units wiring harness. What one do I need? I keep searching and I see so many different types. I want to get the right one, the first time around.

2009 'P71' formerly of the Pullman Police Department, Pullman, Washington.
Paint Code LK.
Work in progress...

Links
#3373898 - 09/27/16 10:15 AM Re: Radio Connector for 2009 P71 [Re: The_Punisher]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
P71s are funky. While the rest of the Panthers had gone to the newer Ford "world" plug around '03, the P71s rocked the '98 style connector for several years after. I ran into this with my buddy's '05, his car needed the '98 connector while every book we'd looked at said it needed the newer, larger, plug. Might have to pull your radio and see which one it has, maybe Ford finally made the switch by '09.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3375074 - 09/27/16 10:59 PM Re: Radio Connector for 2009 P71 [Re: The_Punisher]
AdamMacDon Offline
n00b

Loc: Canada
What BigMerc said, I've installed a ton of radio decks in P71's over the years, and even the 2011 models use the 1998-2002 style connectors for the civvie cars. Probably because the civilian cars wouldn't ever be purchased if they rolled into the lot with just AM/FM radio! I buy mine local at Wally world for as little as 9 bucks Canadian, which is about 7 USD at this point. However, eyeballing it online, I'd say these are the ones you want: https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness-Vi...+wiring+harness

If you're not a yank, and are a fellow Canadian, it somehow costs double on Amazon.ca, but here it is: https://www.amazon.ca/Stereo-Harness-Vic...+wiring+harness

Picture of my latest install using a similar looking harness: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzT6Cg2bR_BjUWtzQjFuRnJJVlk/view

#3375106 - 09/27/16 11:14 PM Re: Radio Connector for 2009 P71 [Re: The_Punisher]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

I think the last one I got at walmart came with both styles of plugs for $14 or something like that.

You'd think it would have been cheaper for Ford to just use the new style plug in them because don't P71s with the better radios have it anyway and it's only the am/fm that have the old style one?

#3375138 - 09/27/16 11:25 PM Re: Radio Connector for 2009 P71 [Re: AdamMacDon]
The_Punisher Offline

IT'S PUNISHMENT
Poobah

Loc: Okanogan County, WA
Nope, not a Canuck.. Even thouogh I spend more time there than I do in the USA. Revelstoke/Kelowna area...

Originally Posted By AdamMacDon

If you're not a yank, and are a fellow Canadian, it somehow costs double on Amazon.ca, but here it is: https://www.amazon.ca/Stereo-Harness-Vic...+wiring+harness

Picture of my latest install using a similar looking harness: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzT6Cg2bR_BjUWtzQjFuRnJJVlk/view

Thank you for the links. I can't find that connector at any Walmarts, Best Buys or Frys Electronics.. :/

2009 'P71' formerly of the Pullman Police Department, Pullman, Washington.
Paint Code LK.
Work in progress...

#3375162 - 09/27/16 11:30 PM Re: Radio Connector for 2009 P71 [Re: 2007CrownVic]
AdamMacDon Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By 2007CrownVic
I think the last one I got at walmart came with both styles of plugs for $14 or something like that.

You'd think it would have been cheaper for Ford to just use the new style plug in them because don't P71s with the better radios have it anyway and it's only the am/fm that have the old style one?

Those are the ones I get, really convenient for a first-time installer or if you just want a single DIN deck. You need to trim them to get it to fit with a double DIN deck. All the extra female plugs take up too much room, and it's a pain to cut and tape all those wires, much easier to just buy the right one online if you plan to do a GPS deck install.

As for Ford, the fact that even 2011 CVPI's come standard with only AM/FM is atrocious. Heck, I think Honda and Toyota had quite a few cars with standard backup cams and GPS in 2011, so they really dropped the ball. Not as though the "fancy" crown vic radio deck is much better, you can play CD's and tapes (if you can find one). Whoopdee do. I agree it seems like a waste of money to have two different harnesses to save maybe $50 on the cheaper deck.

Edited by AdamMacDon (09/27/16 11:35 PM)

#3375170 - 09/27/16 11:35 PM Re: Radio Connector for 2009 P71 [Re: The_Punisher]
AdamMacDon Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By The_Punisher
Nope, not a Canuck.. Even thouogh I spend more time there than I do in the USA. Revelstoke/Kelowna area...

Originally Posted By AdamMacDon

Thank you for the links. I can't find that connector at any Walmarts, Best Buys or Frys Electronics.. :/

Oh yeah, it's a nice area over there, I'm in Victoria on the coast, it's nice not having boiling summers or to deal with snow in the winter (especially driving a CVPI).

No problem with the link, just remember if you plan to do a double DIN touchscreen deck, you will need to trim down the dash bezel panel to get the radio to fit in. It's not hard and I guess you COULD sand it away, but a dremel makes it a 10 minute job. The top and the bottom lip are a little too big, so shave a couple millimeters off at a time until you get a snug fit, but don't have to force it.

Weird how you can't find it at the usual box stores, they often have tons when I got looking.

Edited by AdamMacDon (09/27/16 11:36 PM)

Who's Online
3 registered (RipWixomAssembly, Swirlsound, Rootintootin), 116 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!