Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#3348098 - 09/05/16 01:54 PM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
RF_Overlord Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: MA
If I understand you correctly, my 2000 doesn't have this wire so your fix is not applicable to me...thanks for clarifying this.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
No ABS, no RAS, no Traction Control, manual HVAC,
single exhaust, 2.73 open, and an ugly-ass landau roof.
Exactly what I wanted in a DD: simple.

Links
#3446289 - 11/22/16 11:03 PM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
2468 Offline
Climber

Loc: Argo Nunya
Update...

After repairing wires/connectors, cleaning grounds, replacing headlamp switch, checking everything in/under the dash, then reassembling...

Now, CEL doesn't light when I turn key. It worked when I put cluster together. Must be bulb. Checked for codes KOEO, after first 54 mile test drive. #111 only.

Now, seat belt light sometimes stays on. Sometimes it goes out.

Obvious major light flicker gone, but still had barely noticeable wavering of lights.

After first test drive, was charging 14.47v at idle. Dropped to 14.41v with lights/defroster on at idle.

Volt gauge was no longer fluctuating on start up, but during first drive, volt gauge was higher than ever. Between R M, in NORM. Next drive, it was back to where it always was, on R.

Still has sporadic stutter. Not often. Always high gear, low steady speed, steady light throttle, mostly on up hills. Gentle, but noticeable.

If I try to get it to stutter, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Where I think it will stutter, it wont.

During stutter, if I quick-jab gas pedal, or tap brake pedal, it stops.

Higher octanes don't help any.

Xmsn fluid level correct. Good color & smell.

Car starts/idles fine. Runs fine, except for the few stutters.

Then, today... coming up long hill, I floored it WOT. Half way up hill, charge light came on, volt meter dove to between N & O.

Got it back to the driveway. Belt good. Checked volts at idle. 11v. Alternator shot.

#3447449 - 11/23/16 11:12 PM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
You can't catch a break on this car. For now.

#3447633 - 11/24/16 07:15 AM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
BigMerc96 Online   confused

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
The steady load studder sounds an awful lot like what my '97 was doing when the DPFE was shot. It only threw a seemingly unrelated code (P0401 - EGR flow insufficient) twice in the 6 months it was stumbling, before I finally thought about it and realized it was not in fact an unrelated symptom. Problem is, there isn't a EGR position sensor, instead it uses a pressure feedback sensor (DPFE). When it goes bad it does not read the pressure drop in the EGR tube correctly, so it is telling the PCM that its not open when it is, so in turn the PCM commands the EGR solenoid to open it further, the cycle repeats until the EGR is dumping enough exhaust back into the engine that it dilutes the A/F mixture enough to cause a stumble.

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~88k miles, stock for now.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~140k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, natural weight reduction.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By s33k3r
I hate CAFE. I'm all for using up every last drip of oil on Earth, as quickly as possible. If there's no more oil/gas, you will get a green Earth that much faster...

#3448017 - 11/24/16 04:37 PM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
2468 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By BigMerc96
The steady load studder sounds an awful lot like what my '97 was doing when the DPFE was shot.

Mine has the single hose PFE. I replaced the PFE with a new Ford part, a few months ago. I also made sure the hose between the PFE & EGR pipe was clean & has no leaks. I even installed clamps at both ends of the PFE hose.

I cleaned the EGR when I did the oil pan job. Reinstalled it with a new gasket, & new NOS Ford EGR pipe.

I also cleaned the EGR channel earlier this year, & cleaned the throttle body elbow, off the car. The only codes I had related to the EGR, was when the channel was clogged.

Before I assume it's just T/C stutter, other things have crossed my mind...

It doesn't seem like I have a backed up exhaust when I check vacuum at idle & rev the engine. But, one thing I had to do because of sealing problems at the cats to H-pipe flanges, was I installed a few OEM flange gaskets, & an appropriate sized slim-designed donut, at each flange. (The donuts are for British MG exhaust manifolds). That's one thing that was changed during oil pan job. (It ran fine before pan change; bad afterwards). I'm wondering if the donuts are causing just enough obstruction of exhaust flow in a certain RPM range.

Another thing is, could a stretched or worn throttle cable cause any stutter problems like I have?

I have to throw on a warranty alternator. Then, weather permitting, I've thought about changing xmsn fluid/filter, including fluid in cooler/lines, & torque converter.

#3448289 - 11/24/16 08:51 PM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
85ltdcrownvic Offline

Loc: Naples, Fl
My hunch is torque converter stutter. And seeing as you have the aode gearset and most likely dont beat on your vic I can see how shifting into overdrive and the tcc locking up at a low speed and low rpm causing a pronounced stutter. Im new to autos (although I do know a lot about their function as Ive done a lot of research for my 98) which brings me to my conclusion. There was a tsb for this issue on all aode/4r70w's before 1998.

#3449113 - 11/25/16 06:28 PM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
2468 Offline
Climber

Forgot to mention...

I get overwhelming fuel smell just before, or during, a stutter episode. Always right after. The smell goes away within 30 seconds to a minute. It's the only time I smell fuel.

Anyone know why this fuel smell would coincide with the stutters?

I installed new aftermarket Purge Valve earlier this year. The canister appeared good. I replaced EVAP hoses from canister to Purge Valve, & on to the PCV tube. Checked them with vacuum prior to install. They're air tight.

Also installed new Ford PCV tube assy. It tested air tight too. I used clamp for hose at manifold.

PCV Valve & grommet are new Ford parts. I sealed grommet into the valve cover, & the PCV valve body into the grommet, with RTV.

I replaced EVAP metal tube in '14, from engine to fuel filter area, with new metal tubing. Also replaced small EVAP hose on frame under brake booster with new hose, & clamps. Two junctions in new metal tube are connected with fuel inj hose & double fuel inj clamps. I double flared the ends of the tube where the hose connections are.

Vac hose at tank, rollover valve, gas cap, & canister, I replaced several years ago. They're the only 'old' things in the system, besides the small section of metal tubing in rear.

The small section of original EVAP metal tube from fuel filter area to vac hose at tank may be porous (only indicated by a sniff tester), but I get no fuel smell other than during stutters.

Can a leaky EVAP line cause stutters?

#3547321 - 02/16/17 03:23 AM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
2468 Offline
Climber

Update...

CEL bulb not lighting when turning key, was the bulb.

Seat belt light staying on, was seat belt switch wire at the chime module. Was another terminal that slipped back upon connection & wasn't making good contact, like the STI connector terminal had done.

Alt swapped out with warranty one. Flicker gone. Volt gauge normal.

Still occasionally stutters. At 26 mph, & 16 mph. In either 3rd or 4th gear. Level, or uphill. Very light steady throttle. Fuel smell accompanies stutter, then dissipates.

Idle occasionally feels under par. Like single misfire.

In park & idling, increasing RPM's to about where stutters occur... can feel a slightly lopey idle. Only in one spot. Maybe around 900/1000 RPM's.

No codes, KOEO/KOER.

Read TSB concerning misfire/stumble/rough idle less than 1000 RPM's. Involves replacing EDIS with a part # only specific to the TSB that fires the coils more often at low RPMS. This car has the problem EDIS identified in the TSB, but the build date of engine/car doesn't match TSB.

#3547522 - 02/16/17 11:39 AM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
BigMerc96 Online   confused

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Have you changed the throttle position sensor? I had an odd and very specific rpm stumble in my '96 years ago. It started a few thousand miles after installing my 70mm TB. Put the old TB back on and it was gone. This didn't make sense to me, so I metered the TPS on the 70mm piece. It had a very small "dead spot" where return voltage would drop to slightly above closed throttle reading. That dead spot happened to be right at around 1/8-1/4 throttle, otherwise known as cruising throttle position. Swapped the TPS from my stock TB onto the 70mm TB and all was well with the world. In fact, I believe that TPS is still installed on my 70mm TB meaning it has now well over 200k miles accumulated on it and I've started noticing a similar symptom with my '98 which currently has that TB installed. Going to swap over the 87k mile TPS off the '98s original TB whenever its warm and I have free time to pull the TBs off both cars ('97 has the '98s stock TB since the '98 has its 70mm TB).

Whenever I hear of a specific RPM that causes an engine to stumble, I check the TPS. Its a simple potentiometer, but it does wear out, and usually starts losing contact at the position where it moves the most, so right around cruising throttle position. Never see a code for it on an older car.

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~88k miles, stock for now.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~140k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, natural weight reduction.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By s33k3r
I hate CAFE. I'm all for using up every last drip of oil on Earth, as quickly as possible. If there's no more oil/gas, you will get a green Earth that much faster...

#3548130 - 02/17/17 12:00 AM Re: STI Connector Continuity [Re: 2468]
2468 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By BigMerc96
Whenever I hear of a specific RPM that causes an engine to stumble, I check the TPS. Its a simple potentiometer, but it does wear out, and usually starts losing contact at the position where it moves the most, so right around cruising throttle position. Never see a code for it on an older car.

I haven't checked or replaced the TPS. It's most likely original. I had thought about the same thing you just mentioned. Not long ago, I read...

"TPS experiences most wear in position just above idle, since this is the throttle's position for most driving. Worn sensor may cause skip or drop in reading when throttle opens, causing momentary loss of input to PCM. Result is usually hesitation or stumble because PCM fails to provide necessary fuel enrichment."

One of my other car's data display always logs 26 mph avg speed for the year. So, 26 is probably avg speed around in the Vic. Coincidentally, 26 is where it often stutters.

I'll definitely have to check the TPS.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BigMerc96, Chevyguy, KayTar, Liquid 
Google!
Who's Online
9 registered (2007CrownVic, bobb, GoldPanther, BigMerc96, AWilli, DudeAbides), 84 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
a_d_a_m 227
BigMerc96 140
EZlivin11 103
Chaplian 99
RF_Overlord 96
dpk 94
Ezbok58a 87
Ponyguy 85
SocalSam 83
JeffBoudah 83
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!