Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3544865 - 02/14/17 09:05 AM coolant keeps spitting out overfl
crownvicfreak Offline
n00b

Loc: va
hey guys,

we just installed new intake gasket and new thermostat

the car will idle all day without overheating and spitting coolant out.

but as soon as you get on the road it will start spitting coolant.

anyone have any idea what could be causeing this?

Links
#3546673 - 02/15/17 05:00 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
crownvicfreak Offline
n00b

?

#3546945 - 02/15/17 08:02 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Did you bleed the cooling system? Trapped air has a nasty habit of causing the coolant to bubble out. In theory, it'll work its self out, but you can give it some help by letting it run without the pressure cap on the bottle. You'll see the level rise, possibly overflowing a bit, it'll bubble a lot, then the level will drop. It does this once the thermostat opens and the air can freely move thru the system, it finds its way to the bottle since its the highest point in the cooling system and without the pressure cap to contain it, it'll bubble out. Once the air is worked out, the level will stabilize and you can top it off and hopefully that's the end of it.

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~88k miles, stock for now.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~140k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, natural weight reduction.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By s33k3r
I hate CAFE. I'm all for using up every last drip of oil on Earth, as quickly as possible. If there's no more oil/gas, you will get a green Earth that much faster...

#3547305 - 02/16/17 02:50 AM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
2468 Offline
Climber

Loc: Argo Nunya
Never had the spitting coolant, but anytime I did something involving cooling system, I'd do what BigMerc said, but then I'd drive the car till it was op temp. Bring it back to the flight deck, and let it set about 1/2 hr then open the cap on the reservoir, & air could be heard escaping. I'd repeat the process til I heard no more air puffing out.

#3547489 - 02/16/17 10:31 AM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
2011LX Offline

Loc: On land
Originally Posted By 2468
Never had the spitting coolant, but anytime I did something involving cooling system, I'd do what BigMerc said, but then I'd drive the car till it was op temp. Bring it back to the flight deck, and let it set about 1/2 hr then open the cap on the reservoir, & air could be heard escaping. I'd repeat the process til I heard no more air puffing out.

"air" will always escape when the system is hot and the cap is removed - the air space under the cap is pressurized...
That said, you are not purging the system by doing so. These degas systems purge themselves. Playing with the cap (on/off) does absolutely NOTHING.

If you put the cap on AFTER the coolant is hot and has expanded, no pressure will be generated, and no more air will escape. That's why it stops. Not because all of the air is purged. Afterwards, when the coolant cools and contracts in volume, the volume of air that you released when removing the cap is sucked back in through the cap to displace it. Else, the hoses would collapse.

Purging with the cap off is a technique used on the older systems with a recovery bottle - where the pressure cap is on the rad neck. In that case, when the air collects under the cap, there's no way for it to escape unless the system overheats and the cap vent opens to release the excess pressure.

In the degas system, the air that collects at top of the radiator simply migrates up the small purge line on the degas bottle and collects in the air space above the coolant where it's supposed to be, which keeps the rad and the rest of the cooling system air free. The most important feature of this system is that the cap encloses the coolant AND the airspace, rather than the old recovery system that regulated coolant volume directly.

The only 'trick' when purging a degas system is that sometimes some hearty throttle snaps are required to push a stubborn air bubble past an obstruction. The ebb and flow of the coolant will usually push it away.

OP, for some reason, the cap is venting pressure (if I'm understanding "spitting" correctly). Obviously, if the cap is operating correctly, the only reason that could be happening is because the system is at a higher pressure than the 16psi cap rating. I see a few possibilities:

-Overheat. The system pressure is too high (coolant is over temp and has expanded too much, increasing pressure above the cap rating). T-stat installed backwards?

-The coolant level is too high. Remember, the cooling system is a closed system with a constant volume, but the coolant increases volume as it heats. The air space in the tank is a sort of 'cushion' (in laymans terms) for this action. The air space dictated by the markings on the side of the tank is a calculated volume - Liquid coolant is in-compressible, so if there isn't enough air to squeeze, the pressure increases too much and the cap vents before the coolant has reached operating temp. Conversely, if the system wasn't full enough (too much air to absorb increasing coolant volume), pressure would be too low and the coolant would boil early.

- A head gasket breach is allowing compression into the cooling system, raising the pressure, causing the cap to vent.

Else:

-The cap is defective, venting under rating pressure.

Medium Light Stone interior

#3548170 - 02/17/17 12:14 AM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: 2011LX]
2468 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By 2011LX
Originally Posted By 2468

The way I started that ritual, many years ago, was after I changed coolant... The temp gauge was reading higher than normal while driving. One day after driving, I let it set about 1/2 hr. I took the cap off just to check the mixture. Big puff of air came out, so I put the cap back on & drove it again, & the temp gauge was no longer riding high. I had always thought what I did, was somehow purging air. I've been doing it ever since out of habit.

#3553129 - 02/22/17 01:21 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
crownvicfreak Offline
n00b

well i have bleed the system about 4 times, still doing the same thing,

get in it and go stay on cold for about 5mins then start to go straight up to hot, stay at hot for maybe 25sec and gose back to normal temp, and stay there,

then sometimes it will do twice, but then it will go back to normal.

going to install the fan tomorrow,

i dont get it, never did this before.

#3553441 - 02/22/17 04:53 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
Would have been a very very good idea to include the specs on the car, I was going to ask if it was a pre 1998, but the thread got screwed up with the db issue.

#3553489 - 02/22/17 05:27 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
If the temperature is pegging then dropping like that, then there is air in the system somewhere.

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~88k miles, stock for now.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~140k miles, 70mm TB, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, rear cat delete, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, Marauder/HPP rear sway bar, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Blinker Mod, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, natural weight reduction.. Smashed 1/13/13....I fixt it..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown
Originally Posted By s33k3r
I hate CAFE. I'm all for using up every last drip of oil on Earth, as quickly as possible. If there's no more oil/gas, you will get a green Earth that much faster...

#3553537 - 02/22/17 05:55 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
crownvicfreak Offline
n00b

its a 95 crown vic,

iv bleed it about 4 times now, tomorrow going to check for leaks and play in the water pump, and reinstall the fan,

just blows my mine, it wasnt doing this before the tear down,

#3553633 - 02/22/17 07:37 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
2468 Offline
Climber

I read some things about overflow loss in an old maintenance book... Faulty cap; over filling; blown head gasket; or coolant foaming.

#3554225 - Yesterday at 02:17 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
crownvicfreak Offline
n00b

ok guys,

got the fan back in, still no change

the engine was warm not cold it started pouring water out the overflow cap, did this twice and it stopped,

you can watch the water get sucked in and 1 to 2 sec later you can see it fill the overflow to the full mark, and stayed, let it idle for about 30-45mins and the gauge went to the top of the temp icon to the bottom of the icon, heat was great,

is the cooling system suppose have pressure all the time??

while it was hot and running i could pull the cap off the overflow with no pressure what so ever is this right?

#3554241 - Yesterday at 02:27 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
RF_Overlord Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: MA
You can buy a kit that tests for the presence of exhaust gasses in the coolant at most FLAPS. Might be worth it for the peace of mind, but it still sounds like an air bubble to me...
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
No ABS, no RAS, no Traction Control, manual HVAC,
single exhaust, 2.73 open, and an ugly-ass landau roof.
Exactly what I wanted in a DD: simple.

#3554321 - Yesterday at 04:15 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
09P71VIC Offline
Climber

Loc: Kansas
Did you use factory torque specs? I had to retorque mine after I drove it.

2009 CVPI - 125,500 miles
Former Kansas Patrol Car, Unit 929

#3554361 - Yesterday at 05:31 PM Re: coolant keeps spitting out overfl [Re: crownvicfreak]
crownvicfreak Offline
n00b

yes, when we tore it apart the intake bolts were only hand tight

Moderator:  a_d_a_m, BigMerc96, Chevyguy, KayTar, Liquid 
Google!
Who's Online
11 registered (charlieD, casey67, 2004_p71, 97Aero, Bull, 1 invisible), 93 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Moby_Vic 189
a_d_a_m 159
BigMerc96 138
Chaplian 112
EZlivin11 111
White99MGM 109
DudeAbides 95
charlieD 89
RF_Overlord 86
SocalSam 83
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!