Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3579329 - 03/18/17 05:06 PM Know what these markings on my valve cover mean?
BLFW Offline
n00b

Loc: Florida
I have a 2003 crown vic. I know this year suffered from the bad batch of tensioners and a lot of them had them replaced at the dealership and got the X with 3 dots. Well unfortunately I dont have that dealership marking but I did notice this marking scratched on the passenger side cover. Could a non dealership mechanic have fixed this and made this mark? There is no way its an accidental scratch so it has to mean something.

Your guesses here would be really appreciated. I really dont want to do the guide replacement if I dont have to. Are there any other signs I can look for to see if this might have been done? I noticed a little dot on the crank pulley too. Is that a sign its been apart?

It looks like it says 043P or 043A not quite sure. It doesnt show up that well in the picture unfortunately.

Thanks!

Links
#3580489 - 03/19/17 03:59 PM Re: Know what these markings on my valve cover mean? [Re: BLFW]
2468 Offline
Climber

Loc: Argo Nunya
Were the dealerships directed by a TSB, or recall, to affix a label or annotate on the valve cover after replacing the parts? Like when they change certain emissions components sometimes & have to affix a label someplace? If so, what was supposed to be annotated?

An independent shop probably wouldn't bother at all, but if they did, you'd think they'd have used an indelible marker or a paint pen... something more visible.

Looks like 043P.

#3581161 - 03/20/17 11:00 AM Re: Know what these markings on my valve cover mean? [Re: BLFW]
a_d_a_m Online   drunk

3 Orange Whips
Posting Addict

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Maybe both valve covers were off and this was a way to indicate passenger side? Never seen or heard of it.

Former owner of: '02 GMQ GS | '04 GMQ LS | '04 GMQ LS Limited | '04 MM

Moderator:  BigMerc96, Chevyguy, KayTar, Liquid 
Google!
Who's Online
8 registered (Loafy, PrisonMike, a_d_a_m, GM_Guy, NM117, FCV96), 277 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
a_d_a_m 171
dpk 155
BigMerc96 124
Moby_Vic 113
WSTRLNG 86
reminc70 78
Ponyguy 75
RF_Overlord 65
Bellwestern80 59
SocalSam 48
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!