Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3583281 - 03/22/17 01:51 PM Transmission Fluid Servicing
dogememe Offline
Rookie

Loc: sf bay area ca
So... total fill for these trans is like what, 14Q? but on the box for the AT Filter Kit from O'Reilly it says service fill 5Q, so basically dropping the pan and changing the filter will refresh about 1/3 of the fluid.

My plan is to take it to the shop with the filter, fluid, and a new Dorman 265-813 trans pan that has a drain plug. Then, I'll periodically (probably every time I change my oil which I do at 5K) do a drain and fill until the fluid looks nice when checked from the trans dipstick.

Is this a good plan? I know I could do an actual flush but I'm hesitant to do that on a transmission with 145K that has not been maintained. The current fluid is nasty and I have some what I think to be torque converter shudder, and the transmission just doesn't feel great in general.

I'm using Valvoline Mercon V fluid if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any advice smile

Edited by dogememe (03/22/17 01:59 PM)

Links
#3583305 - 03/22/17 01:58 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
Drain the torque converter if you want to drain nearly all of it at once, or find the process posted here for removing the cooler line and using the transmissions pump to pump it all out.

Hang the included gasket up on a wall, and continue to use the reusable one that is already there, and no RTV. The reusable one is coated steel, so you can make sure it is still the reusable one.
63 Falcon 302
82 F-150
97 Mark VIII LSC (RIP)
2017 Escape SE (RIP)
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
2019 Edge SEL 2.0 GTDI 8 speed auto

#3583321 - 03/22/17 02:07 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Valvoline is not a licensed Mercon V fluid. Notice how it's actually called: "ATF for Mercon V Applications". Personally, I would use Motorcraft, Castrol, or SuperTech. There are certainly others, but I've used all three of those with no issues. Otherwise, your plan is fine.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#3583329 - 03/22/17 02:12 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: RF_Overlord]
dogememe Offline
Rookie

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Valvoline is not a licensed Mercon V fluid. Notice how it's actually called: "ATF for Mercon V Applications". Personally, I would use Motorcraft, Castrol, or SuperTech. There are certainly others, but I've used all three of those with no issues. Otherwise, your plan is fine.

Would Valvoline Maxlife-D be a better option? I don't think we stock "real" Mercon V in the auto parts store I work at. There's Motorcraft, but it's LV, so that's entirely different, right?

I tried to look up trans fluid on the site, but both it shows are obviously wrong!

Attachments
atf-fail.png

Edited by dogememe (03/22/17 02:23 PM)

#3583345 - 03/22/17 02:42 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Yeah, don't use LV. It's only for 2008 and up cars.

As for Maxlife, I'm not a fan of one-size-fits-all fluids, especially when there are plenty of "proper" fluids available.

#3583353 - 03/22/17 02:53 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
You work there and they wouldn't order a case of fluid for you?

Do your search for a vehicle specific fluid, if it doesn't give you Mercon V, add a year or 2, like try 2002. Should be official by then.

Attachments
trans fluid.jpg

#3583361 - 03/22/17 02:58 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Valvoline was "official" at one time. Until I guess they decided not to pay the licensing fee. I used it in the past, but chickened out and went for the "official" Supertech the last time I changed. Cheaper there too.

#3583393 - 03/22/17 03:16 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: Rootintootin]
dogememe Offline
Rookie

Originally Posted By Rootintootin
You work there and they wouldn't order a case of fluid for you?

I could order it but I was hoping to have my tranny fluid changed today.

And I'll use it for now but when I run out of Valvoline Mercon V since I'll be doing frequent drain&fills, I'll order Motorcraft Mercon V.

Edited by dogememe (03/22/17 03:24 PM)

#3583409 - 03/22/17 03:25 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
2011LX Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SE WI
Worrying about who's paying for licensing and who isn't? Damn, I thought I was on BITOG for a second there!
Medium Light Stone interior

#3583417 - 03/22/17 03:32 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: 2011LX]
dogememe Offline
Rookie

Originally Posted By 2011LX
Worrying about who's paying for licensing and who isn't? Damn, I thought I was on BITOG for a second there!

Haha too true. Though, it does seem Valvoline changed the fluid from full synthetic to a synthetic blend when they no longer had the licensing, all the while keeping the same part number, though the label is slightly different, so that's a bit misleading. Still, it's gotta be better than the 20 year old fluid!

#3583425 - 03/22/17 03:51 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

BITOG isn't just a website, it's an addiction. arcade

I'm sure the Valvoline product will be fine, I just prefer to use licensed/approved products.

#3583921 - 03/23/17 12:00 AM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
My only complain with the Valvoline fluid is the smell. It smells like used up trans fluid right out of the bottle. For that reason alone I won't use it. Not when there are so many licensed Mercon V fluids available. Hell, even the house brand at some of the local stores offers a licensed Mercon V.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3583993 - 03/23/17 01:40 AM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
stalag Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Columbus, OH
If a product is licensed to meet a specification, it will serve the intended purpose that the specification applies to. Given this, I am partial myself to using a product that meets or exceeds the Ford Mercon V specification for my car (see signature). However it is wise to use the same fluid consistently in your transmission and not shift brands. The reason for this is that the additives used to meet the specifications are different depending on the manufacturer. Your clutch packs in the transmission are soaked in the same fluid, and when you shift to a different brand, the differing additives can lead to issues with shifting until the new fluid and the clutch material "marry". Given that the fill from empty is around 14 quarts in most model years, so much fluid is available that shifting to a different fluid is not a massive issue. But your clutch material can be affected by fluid choice, and as a result staying with one brand is recommended. This same aspect is true of most fluids used in our cars. But the most critical application where sticking with one brand is in coolants where if the anticorrosion breaks down, the end result is destruction of the heads and the engine in short order.

#3584297 - 03/23/17 10:49 AM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: 2011LX]
GrandMarq9807 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By 2011LX

double thumbs

That place is far to anal for my liking, I quit cold turkey...

As far as always using same brand, again too anal for me... For last thirty plus years, I've used a little bit everything, never a issue(the prev 20 yr I generally stuck with one brand)...

My favorite is using Type F in AOD & AODE... There's a never apart(other than shift kit) Type F dosed Super Coup AOD around here that has something like 85K miles and over 700 drag strip passes... AND that includes a season of nitrous, still works fine... Used F in a slipping AODE from 33K mi to 131K mi, it finally died from a leaking pump to housing gasket...

----------My Toys---------(links are up)
1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed
1972 Comet GT Restomod 306, C4
1988 Turbo Coupe 331 AOD & 3.73 .. Pressurized ½ Motor is History

*****************NEW TOY!!!*********************
1969 Base Fairlane 302, C4, 45K mi(really!)

Now with P/S & PDB
Gonna wake it up with a Blue Print headed 347

#3584425 - 03/23/17 01:14 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Servicing [Re: dogememe]
Former85Owner Offline
Climber

Loc: Albany, NY
Go on the ford website and find a distributor for Motorcraft parts. You may have to put in a larger city. Some of them have a no-frills counter in some warehouse district and will give great prices on fluids and parts. You can be sure you are getting the right stuff that way.

If not opt for a licensed Mercon V fluid such as Castrol or Supertech (yes, it is licensed). I don't suggest generic fluids but likely your transmission won't explode. Maxlife ATF is lower viscosity, again it is a BITG thing but many use it with no issue.

Ford is pretty adamant about their warranty- Mercon V or else. I use the Motorcraft product in very high mileage transmissions(for friends and family too) with a 30K OCI and I have no complaints. I pay a bit more than supertech from my distributor.

Changing fluid is a good idea because it removes particle/residue load from the system, even if the fluid runs cool. The electronic solenoids could actually change their conduction patterns if too much metal is floating around. Nothing will happen suddenly but pressures here and they may reduce causing weaker application of gears and more heat. This creates more particle load, etc. No AT will last forever, it is a wear item, but you can maximize its life.

Edited by Former85Owner (03/23/17 01:18 PM)
98 MGM LS, Tan, Fully loaded but Non HPP (Original Owner didn't like the ride frown ). 177K miles. Dorman Intake, KYB Gas Adjust. Added: Heated Seats, Heated Mirrors, voice visor Homelink, 02B02 fuel tank shield

Former: 85 White Box, 205K miles, Jumped time. RIP 8/8/2000.

Allergic to Car Payments

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!