Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3642889 - 05/19/17 12:03 PM Wheel bearing noise?
theperfectdrugsk Offline

Climber

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hey all. If someone wouldn't mind checking out this video...I'd appreciate it. The video is with both rear wheels and discs/rotors off, FYI.

https://youtu.be/hyUt542CLGI

Right now the noise is just a quiet chatter/rattle that I can hear with the windows down, going slower than 30 (any faster and road noise drowns it out). I thought it might be rusty e-brake parts rattling around, since the sound goes away if you press the e-brake pedal down even a little... but this noise with the rotors/discs off makes me think I need wheel bearings. I can actually feel that vibration in the axle tube when rotating it, but I don't feel any play in the axle itself, aside from the normal in/out. Thanks for the help!

Edited by theperfectdrugsk (05/19/17 12:05 PM)

2007 P71 180k, fighting entropy
2015 Prius, wife's car, and i like more than i should is hot garbage but gets good mileage

Links
#3642905 - 05/19/17 12:52 PM Re: Wheel bearing noise? [Re: theperfectdrugsk]
Jacksknight Offline
Climber

Loc: Taco Bell
It's probably the wheel bearing starting to go. Unless there is some damage to the differential gears its the only thing that could make noise like that. When mine went i could only hear the noise at low speed, but after a few weeks it got louder and then i developed play in the drive shaft.

Pretty easy job, make sure you get the right tools for removing and installing new bearings and seals. Check the axles for damage where the bearing rides, if there is no wear then you can reuse them. Post pics of the axles too so others can see what you are dealing with.

Need a good IAC valve for 50 bucks?

#3642937 - 05/19/17 03:29 PM Re: Wheel bearing noise? [Re: theperfectdrugsk]
theperfectdrugsk Offline

Climber

Well...dang. It doesn't seem to be the wheel bearings. I crawled under there to listen while my wife spun the wheels, and the noise is definitely coming from the differential. Is there a "normal" amount of differential gear noise? I've changed the diff oil about every 30k miles, so I'm not sure how the differential gears could have been damaged. I did just tow a uhaul trailer from Maine to Florida, but it was only loaded to about 2500lbs. Besides, I would think that'd cook bearings, not chew up differential gears.

Just checked the gear oil...it's pretty dark, and I wiped a sizable glob of silver goop off the magnet. I don't remember how much silver goop is normal...

Edited by theperfectdrugsk (05/19/17 03:47 PM)
Edit Reason: checked diff oil

2015 Prius, wife's car, and i like more than i should is hot garbage but gets good mileage

#3642977 - 05/19/17 06:06 PM Re: Wheel bearing noise? [Re: theperfectdrugsk]
Jacksknight Offline
Climber

Loc: Taco Bell
The only normal sounds i think you should hear from the dif are the gears whining, not grinding and making horrible noises. You probably have trac loc, and i don;t know much about that. Hopefully someone that knows more than me will respond. It could be the trac loc and not the gears themselves.

Need a good IAC valve for 50 bucks?

#3642985 - 05/19/17 06:37 PM Re: Wheel bearing noise? [Re: theperfectdrugsk]
theperfectdrugsk Offline

Climber

Well...I feel pretty dang stupid. It was the brake shoes coming unseated, which pushed the little parking brake switch slightly out, making it hit the wheel stud heads as they rotated.

The terrible noise in the video? That's the noise an open differential makes when you rotate one axle.

from: https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2830861

Originally Posted By Donald
CG:
Since you have a GM, of course the carrier is open. That noise sounds to me like the way an open diff sounds when rotating one axle as you were causing the other axle to rotate via the spider gears assuming the trans was in park and the driveshaft could not turn.

Do you have any up/down play at the ends of the axles?
There will be some level of wear in any rear end at 126K.

Don

On the bright-ish side, I found out that I need to change my differential oil again, and that replacing the parking brake components is a slight PITA, but doable.

I should probably still do my wheel bearings though...130k miles, and I bet they're original.

Who's Online
4 registered (RipWixomAssembly, LordAeneas, Scuba_Steve, 1 invisible), 118 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!